Triangle in the national media

Well we can argue the merit of these lists from here to next week, but what it boils down to is good publicity for the area. I see no need to poo poo it.

You've hit the nail on the head Justin6882...this is publicity that any city could not put a price on. It gives Raleigh a certain level or notoriety and popularity throughout the nation that it would not be able to acheive otherwise. Believe it or not, many people take these types of lists into consideration when choosing where to live. By attracting more well-read and educated people (like the people who actually read Forbes or Money) to the area, we inevitably improve the overall quality of life for everyone who lives here.

Once again, the Triangle has taken a top spot on an influential ranking. Does anyone (other than myself) think that these types of rankings actually influences people's decision to move to this area and has a positive impact on the region's national profile?

http://press.hotwire.com/index.php?s=press...es&item=156

I think the cat was out of the bag years ago. In reality it is the people that move to the area now that do the most cheerleading for those looking to move. As a whole the Triangle is a hard place to beat in terms of quality of life valuations. Lots of trees ample water(for now) great higher educations institutions, great health care facilities, moderate house prices and so on and so forth...the knock is how the city and region will address the distress of the highway system and how to get better mass transit options. Raleigh and the Triangle gets a lot of respect from around the country. I have heard nothing but good things when Raleigh is brought up. Most times the people I talk to have relatives or someone they know either going to school there or moved there recently.

^I would hope that Raleigh's fortunes would not be bound to being put on a list in a grocery store rag. Every city in the USA ends up in these things so they can sell magazines.

In any case we here at UrbanPlanet have decided that we are not going to have topics based on these lists. This topic should have been closed but given that it has been dormant for so long we never got around to it.

^^

I would love to see DT Raleigh grow to where it becomes a true hub for visitors. That's the next real step for the area. It's getting there, I believe. The Triangle as a whole is a really nice destination...people love to see Duke Chapel, Duke Gardens, UNC's Old Well, Franklin Street, etc. If you like sports, music and food--the Triangle is definitely on the national radar right now. There are tons of things to see and do, and it's also a good base to discover the great state of NC...being able to get to mountains, beaches, etc.

I've never really considered Raleigh or the Triangle much of a vacation spot before, but there is no shortage of fun and/or unique things to do with out-of-towners. I've taken most of my visitors to Duke Gardens, Franklin Street/UNC, the State Capitol, the museum of history, Bullock's Bar-B-Que (trust me, waitresses back home don't call you 'honey' or 'baby'), American Tobacco Campus, West Point on the Eno, City Limits Saloon, and to Bulls games at the DBAP.

I guess while the area isn't exactly New York City or Disney Land, there are a surprising number of unique things to do.Maybe you've just got to know someone who lives here.

Raleigh made it to the top of yet another Forbes list. I know many people question the validity of these lists, but it's still good press nonetheless. There are people who actually take these lists seriously. This time Raleigh made number 1 for job opportunities. Windows Vista is totally hott by the way! :yahoo:

Untitled.jpg

Edited by willrusso

I think this is good for Raleigh. But the thing I don't understand is when other cities in Triangle are named to a "Best of" list it never makes the news, unless of course it mentions something about Raleigh. Durham when named one of the Top 10 smartest cities and I have yet to this day to see it on any news station (besides NBC-17).

JDC you are absolutely right in the fact that natives from here would not say they are from Raleigh and they have the right to because they're not, I know I will definitely never say it no matter how big it gets.

The issue with this area becoming one I don't think will happen anytime soon because the "other" cities in the Triangle are never given their due credit. I think we all know (at the natives) that without Durham and Chapel Hill there would be no Triangle or at least not nearly what it is today. So I believe when people from the "big" Triangle city give credit where it is due that would be a start. Altogether, I believe it will be hard because Raleigh is the bigger city, but Durham has the major employers of the area (besides government). So both cities have something the other wants. Its a complicated situation.

I think this is good for Raleigh. But the thing I don't understand is when other cities in Triangle are named to a "Best of" list it never makes the news, unless of course it mentions something about Raleigh. Durham when named one of the Top 10 smartest cities and I have yet to this day to see it on any news station (besides NBC-17).

JDC you are absolutely right in the fact that natives from here would not say they are from Raleigh and they have the right to because they're not, I know I will definitely never say it no matter how big it gets.

The issue with this area becoming one I don't think will happen anytime soon because the "other" cities in the Triangle are never given their due credit. I think we all know (at the natives) that without Durham and Chapel Hill there would be no Triangle or at least not nearly what it is today. So I believe when people from the "big" Triangle city give credit where it is due that would be a start. Altogether, I believe it will be hard because Raleigh is the bigger city, but Durham has the major employers of the area (besides government). So both cities have something the other wants. Its a complicated situation.

Everyone should be proud of their City/Town, But Raleigh is not just the bigger City, its also the State Capital and that should command some recognition. I think Durham and Chapel Hill get their due especially when it comes to the hosiptials and universities....RTP is not in Durham City it is in two Countys and hence the natural tying together of the region as a "Triangle" by the surrounding university-municipalities of the employment engine that lies in none of them. But you are right absolutely there is no Triangle without all three...in basic fact...and in soul, as the flavors of each are distinct and uniquely interesting.... :thumbsup:

Edited by Jones133

^ You are absolutely right, RTP is in two counties, but lets be real in any other situation majority would rule. Durham County 75% and Wake County 25%

Without trying to cheerlead for my City, most of those RTP employees live in North Raleigh and Cary and I think the bias comes from that basic fact. If Raleigh did not exist and the Capital was in say Fayetteville the Park would still largely have become what it is due to proximity to UNC and Duke and the Hospitals. I still think in relation to RTP Durham and Chapel Hill get their due but when it comes to all the livability stuff Raleigh (and Cary) just has that image as the mini van soccer mom cul-de-sac heaven of an american dream that keeps us in all these polls and people moving to the region in general.

Not supporting or saying I believe in these generalities, Durham and Chapel Hill/Carboro fail the livibility tests on crime(real or perceived) and affordability respectively.....that is just the word on street or at the water cooler whichever....

Maybe getting their due involves tackling these perceptions? Dunno, just thinking out loud (on the screen...)

Edited by Jones133

Durham had decades to capitalize on its proximity to RTP yet did nothing with it. Residential and retail use was prohibited within Research Triangle Park to encourage development on nearby properties. But Durham did nothing to encourage sustainable growth, only apartment complexes and the 54/55 corridor. Even that only lasts for a couple of blocks in each direction. Bus service is infrequent and the police presence is slim. Parkwood was the first attempt at establishing a residential community, but it is far from exclusive today. Woodcroft did better, but has no direct ties to the park or the rest of Durham. For some reason, the streets at Southpoint has done a better job of attracting investment in south Durham county that RTP ever did.

The Wake County part of RTP was an afterthough, yet has a lot of the most recent growth via Fidelity, Lenovo, etc. Like it or not, the Brier Creek area attracted people willing to live away from a city center and near RTP that east Durham never attracted. In his recent State of the City speech, Mayor Bell acknoweledged Durham's "image problem" increased 36% last year as homicides decreased.

In his recent State of the City speech, Mayor Bell acknoweledged Durham's "image problem" increased 36% last year as homicides decreased.

Wait a minute. You mean a city's image problem can be illustrated with a percentage? Wild stuff Mayor Bell.

If new home construction in Wake County slows down at all, and housing costs go up, I wouldn't be surprised to see something of a boom in the Bull City. Then again, I'm not hoping for any more suburban sprawl in souther Durham County.

Didn't you hear? Durham doesn't have a crime problem, it has an image problem!

So when it is announced that violent crime went up 32 percent last year during the State of the City address, it isn't about crime, but of the *perception* of crime in the city.

Southern Durham could be an ideal location for somewhat dense, urban development as a western gateway into the park. But a lot of the good land is taken, and not going to change any time soon.

If I had all the money in the world, I would get some land near the TTA line a few miles north of the proposed IBM stop and build a TOD mixed use, 3-5 story village for a couple of blocks, then scale back to townhouses for a couple of blocks, then single family homes like Pilot Mill behind that. Another location could be Alston Ave north of 54, but those train tracks end at the Durham Freeway. Though DATA/TTA could connect this area to a transit stop.

I think as Raleigh has grown and lately the downtown has shown more promise, the national media have focused a bit more on "Raleigh" as a substitute for "Ral-Dur" or "The Triangle." Obviously, we can't control what the media says or does, so to some degree as long as Raleigh (which probably gets credit for Cary too -_- ) is growing strong, that will continue.

Chapel Hill's Leadership will make sure it stays small and quaint. Certainly Durham has a well-know image problem (crime, Duke LAX case, etc) that won't go away anytime soon. I'm not saying it's deserved, but as we know, perception often equals reality. If i worked in RTP I would very much consider a DTD condo or a deal on an old home (there are some great ones). All you'd need to do is shoot down 147 and your there.

Durham has yet again placed #1 when talking about the creative class. Downtown Durham Inc. reported that Durham was #1 out of 367 metropolitan areas in the US. The rating was from the statistician that does work for Richard Florida author of "Rise of the Creative Class". This is good news for the Durham-Chapel Hill area further reinforcing the fact that Durham is the creative "capitol" of the Triangle and maybe even the state.

• 1 month later...