Triangle in the national media

What's up with the bus parked across Fayetteville Street in the background?

I believe that is the bus that takes us from one end of the city named "Raleigh-Durham" to the other, as Katie mentioned several times. I don't think I hate anything more than when everyone calls us Raleigh-Durham as though we are one city, unless they are taking about the region as a whole.

I believe that is the bus that takes us from one end of the city named "Raleigh-Durham" to the other, as Katie mentioned several times. I don't think I hate anything more than when everyone calls us Raleigh-Durham as though we are one city, unless they are taking about the region as a whole.

Even I, not a Raleigh (or Durham) native, cringed at that. lol

Yeah, thats the first thing I noticed watching the news tonight.. the Raleigh-Durham merged city. Maybe they should rename the hockey team to the Raleigh-Durham Hurricanes :whistling:

Yeah, thats the first thing I noticed watching the news tonight.. the Raleigh-Durham merged city. Maybe they should rename the hockey team to the Raleigh-Durham Hurricanes :whistling:

Someone should, and probably will, correct CBS about that. Why associate Raleigh with this mess? Eventhough most people know the difference, there are some out there who actually believe the city is named Raleigh-Durham, NC, and it's all because of stuff like this.

I think the RDU brand is known more nationally than just Raleigh at this time. Overall I liked the location of the set. The view all the way down the street to the capitol building was an excellent shot. I had to do a double take...Raleigh sure does clean up well for the camera.

I think the RDU brand is known more nationally than just Raleigh at this time. Overall I liked the location of the set. The view all the way down the street to the capitol building was an excellent shot. I had to do a double take...Raleigh sure does clean up well for the camera.

Yeah, that shot was impressive, I almost didnt recognize the place.

CBS had one of their Morning Show anchors there again today from Fayyettville St. The view looked nice from that angle. Since this was at 7am not many people were out in the streets...at least not from the view of the camera angle. Hopefully next time they come down it can be for better terms and they can really show off the city.

CBS had one of their Morning Show anchors there again today from Fayetteville St. The view looked nice from that angle. Since this was at 7am not many people were out in the streets...at least not from the view of the camera angle. Hopefully next time they come down it can be for better terms and they can really show off the city.

Yeah, I was there just a few minutes before airtime and there was hardly a sole to be found, partly due to the dreary conditions, but... also because there still really isn't that much activity on Fayatteville St after 6 pm or so. I hope that part changes soon.

I was thinking, another reason Couric may have emphasized "Raleigh-Durham" is probably to make the connection back to Durham and Duke, despite most of the press events and broadcast unfolding in Raleigh yesterday. If she just said, Raleigh, maybe some people wouldn't make the connection. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Yeah, I was there just a few minutes before airtime and there was hardly a sole to be found, partly due to the dreary conditions, but... also because there still really isn't that much activity on Fayatteville St after 6 pm or so. I hope that part changes soon.

I was thinking, another reason Couric may have emphasized "Raleigh-Durham" is probably to make the connection back to Durham and Duke, despite most of the press events and broadcast unfolding in Raleigh yesterday. If she just said, Raleigh, maybe some people wouldn't make the connection. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Actually that was my thought as well. How do you say in a very short time frame that the news conference will be in Raleigh but the "issue" took place in Durham?

Looking at a Google map search for pawn shops, and page 2 how can this be an "even distribution"?

There are two pawn shop north of 440 (Wake Forest Road, Capital), four on the Capitol Blvd corridor ITB, six in Southeast Raleigh (The Wake Med area is technically in the southeast quadrant and a seventh one not shown is near the Edenton/New Bern split), two in the NC State area, and one on Raleigh Blvd.

The Below the Beltline artcile is correct that pay day lenders are pawn shops that don't want to deal with merchandise.

Other than pawn shops, how do people with bad credit get loans for small amounts? Consignment shops could be a good alternative, but take too long to get money. Craigslist could bypass the pawn shop middleman, but the people who sell items to pawn shops likely don't have access to a computer.

Maybe they can try selling items at Watson's flea market since the city is ok with the market that, in 2007, has 1) been raided for stolen and counterfit goods, 2) been the scene of a homicide and 3) still has cars parking along Rock Quarry Road without fear of being towed, despite it being a posted no parking zone.

Why are there more regulations for locating "adult" establishments than places who peddle stolen goods?

Raleigh is now on the main page of Forbes. Its the same old money shot that will hopefully look a bit better in a couple of years.

Forbes

Was this Forbes issue in reference to the article in the N&O today, that Raleigh is ranked #1 in the Forbes annual "Best Places for Business and Careers"? The horors, awards, and high rankings on every census and survey keep rolling in. I just read last week in the TBJ that Ralegh was ranked 4th in careers for recent college grads, behind Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Wahington, DC, although the numbers in the poll looked like Riverside, CA was ahead of us also. My mother-in-law leaves in Phoenix (Scottsdale actually) and works in banking, so she is always reading the business reports. She commeneted last year that everytime she picks up a publication to see where Phoenix is at, Raleigh (or Cary or RDU) is always on the list somewere in the top 10. Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Charlotte are consistantly ranked also, ie. fastest growing metros. Can it be just about the warm weather?

Was this Forbes issue in reference to the article in the N&O today, that Raleigh is ranked #1 in the Forbes annual "Best Places for Business and Careers"? The horors, awards, and high rankings on every census and survey keep rolling in. I just read last week in the TBJ that Ralegh was ranked 4th in careers for recent college grads, behind Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Wahington, DC, although the numbers in the poll looked like Riverside, CA was ahead of us also. My mother-in-law leaves in Phoenix (Scottsdale actually) and works in banking, so she is always reading the business reports. She commeneted last year that everytime she picks up a publication to see where Phoenix is at, Raleigh (or Cary or RDU) is always on the list somewere in the top 10. Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Charlotte are consistantly ranked also, ie. fastest growing metros. Can it be just about the warm weather?

I take these lists with a huge grain of salt, because there are SO many of them - I think every MSA in the country is up on someone's list for something presumably good. BUT the Forbes list was of more interest due to the number of NC metros in their top 25 - not just Raleigh, but 5 MSAs (Durham, Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Asheville also made their top 25), which indicates something more substantive.