Triangle in the national media

^^

but when a list is compiled by Forbes or Fortune, you best better bet that people take note. Believe it or not, alot of corpoate executives read those magazines and do consider their rankings when prospecting new business, searching for expansion/relocation sites, etc. Ever heard of the Fourtune 500 or Forbes Wealthiest Americans? Certain magazine rankings do carry alot of weight.

Edited by RALNATIVE

^^

but when a list is compiled by Forbes or Fortune, you best better bet that people take note. Believe it or not, alot of corpoate executives read those magazines and do consider their rankings when prospecting new business, searching for expansion/relocation sites, etc. Ever heard of the Fourtune 500 or Forbes Wealthiest Americans? Certain magazine rankings do carry alot of weight.

Oh definitely; it's mostly a big bit of recognition, and the highlighting multiple metros in the state is even better - for all of the advantages seen in just one or two areas in the state, there's a lot of activity throughout the state that is poised to make an impact. I just always shudder when I think of plants coming to an area for 'inexpensive labor,' and I always want to see us moving beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...

So last week one day, I saw in the gym one of the TVs tuned to Oprah. They had a fellow on there from Men's Health mag talking about top cities for women to find single professional men. And what do you know, but Raleigh was listed number 1. :shok:

So then, cut to Oprah's pal Gayle talking in front of the Raleigh skyline about this ranking. Is it true? Let's find out....cut to Gayle with a "local single woman" hanging out at the NC Farmer's Market trying to pick up single men. :blink: Yes you read that right...Oprah show filming Gayle and another woman trying to pick up men at the State Farmer's Market in Raleigh. :rofl:

It gets better...after that experiment they then go to.....Lowe's Warehouse. :lol:

Very surreal to watch.

:shok: Lowe's? The last thing on my mind when I'm in Lowe's is meeting women. Especially when you consider what a lot of the women who hang out in home improvement warehouses look like. It didn't occur to them to check out some of the trendy bars on Glenwood?

:shok: Lowe's? The last thing on my mind when I'm in Lowe's is meeting women. Especially when you consider what a lot of the women who hang out in home improvement warehouses look like. It didn't occur to them to check out some of the trendy bars on Glenwood?

Personally, I think the best looking women are at Target :D .

I was watching one of my new favorite shows tonight, Heroes, and was it just me, or did they mention our great city of Raleigh? Something about the National Science Center in Raleigh. Most likely a fictional creation, but it was pretty cool to be mentioned on one of the highest rated tv shows. And not just Barney making a weekend trip to Raleigh with Thelma Lou.

Personally, I think the best looking women are at Target :D .

I was watching one of my new favorite shows tonight, Heroes, and was it just me, or did they mention our great city of Raleigh? Something about the National Science Center in Raleigh. Most likely a fictional creation, but it was pretty cool to be mentioned on one of the highest rated tv shows. And not just Barney making a weekend trip to Raleigh with Thelma Lou.

Yes, you heard right. My wife caught it too. I think it was a fictional creation.

• 2 weeks later...

The Durham-Chapel Hill MSA was ranked #15 out of 400 metro areas in the US by Sterling's. Durham-Chapel Hill MSA wasn't the only NC MSA mentioned most of the larger NC MSA placed somewhere in the ranking. But the best NEWS is the part that the Raleight-Cary MSA placed #63. With such a low ranking from the larger MSA in the Triangle is this the reason why as of this morning NO news media have covered this story. I surely don't know, but my guess is this exactly the news that will not be covered by any media in the Triangle (so sad). I guess my question is why is the area like this? Everyone talks about the Triangle working as one region, but when it is something so blatant and in your face as news like this how will that happen. News about the other side of the Triangle (specifically Durham) is always told through an alternative form of media, which is fine if the BIG people were doing what they should do to promote the whole area.

Anyway I recommend everyone check out Bull City Rising's blog (Bullcityrising.com) for great insight on Durham and in other ways the Triangle region as a whole (although he's located in Durham it's not as biased just real)

Check out the information for yourself:

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/crar_list.aspx

Congrats to Durham-Chapel Hill (and environs). Personally, I kinda always hated that the census folk broke up the Triangle into two MSA's. Particularly since I'm a firm believer that as a whole region we do better. (And these days as Raleigh and Durham's city limits are now running up against each other, it makes even less sense.)

But nonetheless, it is refreshing to see Durham rank higher than Raleigh (and especially Cary) on something for once. :thumbsup:

Now if only the local media would take notice. :wacko:

Edited by RaleighRob

Raleigh was mentioned in the show American Dad last night. Something the American Dad's daughter's boyfriend's father growing pot in a barn in Raleigh. :dontknow: I wasn't really paying attention, but my ears perked up at the mention of my city! Of course, the pothead father was a huge redneck. Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new blog about Development, Preservation, Urban Planning and Arts & Culture in the Triangle. And it's also about Raleigh becoming the new Tear-Down capitol of the South! We follow the discussions in the Triangle forums of UrbanPlanet and think the site will be of particular interest to the readers here. Please visit the site and comment, we value your input.

The RSS feeds aren't currentlyworking but will be fixed shortly.

http://www.RDUwtf.com

16 hour days in D.C. Thanks for the news brief.....time to crawl back under my rock :whistling:

I was just kidding.. :shades: At least F-street is open and they have a decent backdrop for their reporting. Even though it's a sensational trial, it's giving people around the world a glimpse at our downtown. All the junk that happened with that was in Durham. But, we should expect this from time to time. Botht he court of appeals and the state supreme court along witht he Captiol building are located on the northern corners of F-street.

I was just kidding.. :shades: At least F-street is open and they have a decent backdrop for their reporting. Even though it's a sensational trial, it's giving people around the world a glimpse at our downtown. All the junk that happened with that was in Durham. But, we should expect this from time to time. Botht he court of appeals and the state supreme court along witht he Captiol building are located on the northern corners of F-street.

Oh I know....I was kidding too! I don't watch the news much,but I am on UP each afternoon for my Raleigh and Triangle updates. Peace :alc:

I noticed the Court TV truck on Monday night while passing by on Morgan. They were taking down a tent on the west sidewalk just north of Fayetville Street Tavern. I haven't watched any news, so don't know if they are live reports or just covering the trial/hearing and sending video to their home base.

ABC 11 has it pretty easy from their F Street studio, so maybe WRAL/RAZ will look into having a presence closer to downtown as well?

For Wake County trials, news vans used to park in the lot where RBC Plaza is being built now, so opening F Street helped with that. News vans park on Morgan for covering events at the north end of the street, and on the sidewalk or in the post office parking lot for events at the federal court house on New Bern (Jim Black / lottery bribes scandal).

It would be nice if the federal courthouse was more intergrated with the rest of downtonw, but until the parking lot behind Exploris is redeveloped, that won't happen.

The Triangle gets a nice article, "All Grown Up" in the Washington Post.

That's a very cute article...thanks for sharing. Gives a nice view of the Triangle....and a pretty accurate view of our interesting urban areas. :thumbsup:

Kinda ticked-off though at one of the commenters on the website who criticizes the writer for spending equal time talking about Chapel Hill and Durham along with Raleigh. The commenter apparently thinks the Triangle revolves around Raleigh & Cary. :wacko: