Triangle in the national media

Raleigh and Charlotte made another top ten list. Raleigh is one of a few markets that is considered a stable market due to above average job growth. So while the markets has turned just about everywhere it seems NC two largest have weathered the storm better than the rest of the country. Kudos again to Raleigh...there was nice skyline shot showing RBC rising.

Can you post a link to this?

Come down to Fuquay, Holly Springs Apex many homes have lowered there asking prices over 15% . And still not much is moving. Ask some of the builders around here. NOTHING is selling in many neighborhoods.

could they be not-so-desireable locations? That trend is definitly NOT the case all over the Triangle.

could they be not-so-desireable locations? That trend is definitly NOT the case all over the Triangle.

Cannot figure that out the N&O had an article last year that Fuquay was the biggest growing area in wake now??? Holly springs and apex are big time growth so less desrirable is in the eye of the beholder. Should have moved to Cary.

Raleigh and Charlotte made another top ten list. Raleigh is one of a few markets that is considered a stable market due to above average job growth. So while the markets has turned just about everywhere it seems NC two largest have weathered the storm better than the rest of the country. Kudos again to Raleigh...there was nice skyline shot showing RBC rising.

Yesterday the N&O was all doom & gloom about the DT condo market. Today we're apparently stable. :whistling:

Apex, Fuquay and Holly Springs are full of standardized suburban stock......these builders assumed the steady 4-6% appreciation here would last forever...well surprise...when nothing differentiates your neighborhood from the one beside it and supply exceeds demand for basic standardized homes, then nothing will move. Homes in Pilot Mill doubled in value because there is only one neighborhood like it anywhere in the region plus it has ingeniously laid out [historic] grid streets with garbage alleys and stores within walking distance.....holy cr%^!! I feel no pity for those making a tidy profit off our weather and universities and ensuing dirth of jobs. eco-homes continue to sell from I read in the N&O this weekend (or last weekend) because people desire energy and water saving features now....what are the chances??

Kristi Yamaguchi is going to be on "Dancing with the Stars." Why post that here, you ask? She lives in Raleigh with Hurricane hubby Brett Hedican.

at least until the summer until they move as this will be Bret's last year in the NHL and the Hurricanes. JMHO but I will bet a paycheck on that.

at least until the summer until they move as this will be Bret's last year in the NHL and the Hurricanes. JMHO but I will bet a paycheck on that.

I disagree. I really do think that they will settle down here. Kristi seems to be fairly rooted in Raleigh. In any event, let's hope that they stay. We need high profile residents and celebrities living here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It always interesting to see what others have to say. Lucky for us, the author saw all the good we have done. I have read equally negative accounts from people who heard all this rosy stuff only to come visit and find very little to do. Splitting the difference, we certainly have come a long way, but still have so much more to do. With the CC in place, Empire properties, and other local developers(Sandreuter, Reynolds) plus folks like TCR (222 and Hue) on board, our ship is sailing right along nicely. It takes people giving a crap about the situation, electing and then pressuring/supporting officials who share the same ideas, and then putting your money where your mouth is once things get rolling. I hope the folks in Jacksonville get through to the folks there who can effect change.....

I would say the reason we think things are bad is because we don't realize that most places have it even worse. Given the economy around the country, and the world for that matter right now. Compared to the remainder of the world, we are progressing quite fast and have stellar leadership.

It is funny they painted such a nice picture of downtown and missed Glenwood South entirely! Wow.

The pictures seem kinda old -- RBC barely taller than the Hudson, no "Edison" parking garage, etc. suggests the pictures were taken in late 2007. The article plays up things more than they should, like equating the showtime trolley with a real circulator. And few CAT bus stops have route maps. And the PE II deck *is* flush with the sidewalk on the Davie and Wilmington sides, only Blount has condos, and the picture shows the Palladium Plaza to parking deck gap.

But it is good to see they see the importance in street level retail that fronts the sidwalk on the busier streets, and not having an enclosed corridor that kills the sidewalk experience. And it makes the warehouse district seem fuller than it is, by ignoring the Dillon Supply buildings TTA keeps empty along Harrington north and south of Hargett.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dude, yes....go! They are only one block from you...no excuses....no ketchup though...bring some packets if you want some...

I can't believe that this place is right around the corner, and I never knew about it. Shows how well I know my neighborhood.

It's probably a bad thing that I now know about it now. I may become a regular if the hotdogs are as good as they look.

• 2 months later...

The picture they used looks like its from Durham...Brightleaf maybe. After traveling coast to coast and all over the east coast this year, I notice more than ever that Raleigh lacks and 'edge' of sorts. Maybe it doesn't need one, but the panelist folks seem to feel that way too. Our whole sarehouse district should be a teeming mass of music venues, odd book stores, signature drinking spots, LEED condos with crazy architecture, independent coffee shops...all within view of a spine of pretty glass buildings along Fayetteville street and a short walk from the fully cobble stoned and carriage toured Oakwood with faux gas street lamps and ghost tours at halloween. Still interesting that we get included alongside the best places in the country on the young folks scale...all as I begin my long slide away from being young....