Triangle in the national media

It was. And they mentioned Fort Bragg as a plus for the area--which is a good two hours or so away. :huh:

Alot of military guys and gals from Ft. Bragg come to Raleigh on the weekends, and alot stay over in surrounding hotels. I do beleive that as Ft. Bragg expands, so will the number of hotel rooms and nightspots.

Alot of military guys and gals from Ft. Bragg come to Raleigh on the weekends, and alot stay over in surrounding hotels. I do beleive that as Ft. Bragg expands, so will the number of hotel rooms and nightspots.

If visitors/tourists were the focus, it would make much more sense to highlight the local tourism/convention industry as a whole with the new convention center and Marriott hotel, as well as the state museums, than to confusingly refer to overnight visitors from Ft. Bragg. I think the exact wording by the writer of the piece on the Triangle actually thought that Ft. Bragg was located in the metro area and not that the region just receives visitors from the fort:

Also, Fort Bragg is expanding, signaling more jobs and more spinoff employment.

It would make about as much sense to cite Fort Jackson in Columbia as a benefit to metro Charlotte.

If visitors/tourists were the focus, it would make much more sense to highlight the local tourism/convention industry as a whole with the new convention center and Marriott hotel, as well as the state museums, than to confusingly refer to overnight visitors from Ft. Bragg. I think the exact wording by the writer of the piece on the Triangle actually thought that Ft. Bragg was located in the metro area and not that the region just receives visitors from the fort:

It would make about as much sense to cite Fort Jackson in Columbia as a benefit to metro Charlotte.

It's not really clear why they would mention Ft. Bragg, but i'm sure that they have their reasons.

Also, Ft. Bragg is only around 1hr from Raleigh, not 2 hrs.

The Raleigh-Durham area has once again been named America's Smartest City - America's Smartest Cities - From First to Worst

Other southern cities:

#12 - Austin

#16 - Charlotte

#19 - Nashville

#23 - Atlanta

#27 (t) - Richmond

I'll stop at these - I'm guess the rest would be considered "unsmart" :-P

This is quite a statement, and based on how they ranked the other metros, it looks pretty accurate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This article is worthy of posting to a main UP page.

Change in surburban and inner city demographics

"A new image of urban America is in the making," said William H. Frey, a demographer at Brookings who co-wrote the report. "What used to be white flight to the suburbs is turning into 'bright flight' to cities that have become magnets for aspiring young adults who see access to knowledge-based jobs, public transportation and a new city ambiance as an attraction."

"This will not be the future for all cities, but this pattern in front runners like Atlanta, Portland, Ore., Raleigh, N.C., and Austin, Texas, shows that the old urban stereotypes no longer apply," he said.

A new list out by Mainstreet & Yahoo Finance put Raleigh and Durham (as separate entities) in the 20 cities that survived that recession. It gave a nod to both cities strong education bases, among other things, that helped each get through the recession with minimal impact.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109518/20-cities-surviving-the-recession

• 6 months later...