Triangle in the national media

In some cases you may be right, but when I look at this list, I actually agree with them. I've been to all of the cities on that list and I can see how they would consider them as the coolest cities in the country, and the rankings seem to be pretty inline with how I would personally rank them.

• 2 months later...

I don't think people in Charlotte spend any time thinking about Raleigh -- 

Head on over to city-data and check out the Raleigh vs Charlotte thread there.

You'll find they spend a disproportionate amount of time thinking about it.

Edited by Spatula

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a shame so many of you on here feel the need to drag Charlotte through the mud in an attempt to promote the Triangle.  You don't need to, the Triangle is great and stands on its own without the need to put down Charlotte.  It frankly comes off as an inferiority complex, which again, should not be the case.

I enjoy coming over here to see what's going on with Triangle development and I think you'll find that's the general consensus from most of us that post on the Charlotte board.  I try to get to Raleigh as often as possible and had nothing but glowing things to say about the development of your inner core retail on the Charlotte board.  City data is a toxic wasteland, I wouldn't use it as a moniker for anything.  

I can only think of positives for having two strong economic and progressive engines in our state.  Competition breeds quality in a lot of ways and I love how Charlotte and Raleigh both drive each other to be better.  And it's especially satisfying to see us both landing on all these "hot lists".  Keep doing you, Triangle. :alc:

It's a shame so many of you on here feel the need to drag Charlotte through the mud in an attempt to promote the Triangle.  You don't need to, the Triangle is great and stands on its own without the need to put down Charlotte.  It frankly comes off as an inferiority complex, which again, should not be the case.

I enjoy coming over here to see what's going on with Triangle development and I think you'll find that's the general consensus from most of us that post on the Charlotte board.  I try to get to Raleigh as often as possible and had nothing but glowing things to say about the development of your inner core retail on the Charlotte board.  City data is a toxic wasteland, I wouldn't use it as a moniker for anything.  

I can only think of positives for having two strong economic and progressive engines in our state.  Competition breeds quality in a lot of ways and I love how Charlotte and Raleigh both drive each other to be better.  And it's especially satisfying to see us both landing on all these "hot lists".  Keep doing you, Triangle. :alc:

I like your attitude ah59396 and agree with you. From time to time I admit that I have taken digs at Charlotte, but mainly as a form of retaliation against perceived attacks on Raleigh. It is childish and certainly not the message that we should be sending about people from NC.

If anything, we should focus more on complimenting other cities rather than trying to denigrate the other each time something negative (or positive) is posted.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

I like your attitude ah59396 and agree with you. From time to time I admit that I have taken digs at Charlotte, but mainly as a form of retaliation against perceived attacks on Raleigh. It is childish and certainly not the message that we should be sending about people from NC.

If anything, we should focus more on complimenting other cities rather than trying to denigrate the other each time something negative (or positive) is posted.

I actually think it's really cool how the two metros are developing in such different ways.  The Triangle is this booming tech, education and healthcare hub with a burgeoning arts and music scene.  Charlotte is this intense economic powerhouse of energy and finance coupled with a bizarre relationship with South Carolina and it's insane upstate growth.  The Triangle has a plethora of amazing historical aspects that allow us all to enjoy the great history of the state.  Charlotte is the shining example of "new south" with giant glassy buildings and squeaky clean streets (I do wish we had some more grit sometimes).  The Triangle's got the NHL, The Heels/Wolfpack/Blue Devils, Charlotte's got the NFL/NBA.

It'd actually be a pretty awesome place if the two metros magically combined.  They compliment each other so well.  In reality, if only we could get some HSR to connect the two, I'd be in heaven.  

Anyways, did not intend to hijack the thread.  Back to the Triangle in the National spot light.

I'm thinking there's more differences between Durham and Raleigh, than Charlotte and Raleigh. In the thread about the Durham 21C hotel it was noted Raleigh is getting a Residence Inn. That sort of embodies some of our issues. The biggest developers sinking money here like national brands, brick and tan architecture and appear in it for the money more than to create any sort of image for Raleigh. Sure Raleigh has Empire Properties, Ashley Christenson, CAM, HQ Raleigh, Citrix, Redhat and an occasional nice building like Devon or SECU, but Durham's mainstream side is largely confined to its I-40 area around Southpoint and isn't overtaking downtown. Anyway, I am a big fan of many things in Raleigh and live right smack in its downtown, but were I a Durham booster, I'd consider severing my "triangle" tattoo and market myself solo. I do understand we are stronger together, but am starting to think Durham is about in a position to steal the thunder as the forward thinking, little brother that finally has grown up. Get you a catchy moniker Durham ("Durham NC...ride the bull into the future") and be the shining progressive beacon NC needs ala Austin, Portland etc. 

Edited by Jones_

At least our newspaper doesn't publish such trash as the Raleigh bashing article that the Charlotte Observer printed. There is a reason people in the Triangle are defensive about that. 99% of the people I know in Charlotte are constantly bashing Raleigh. The last time I visited Charlotte was in 2008, and I will never go back. I was walking along Tryon, which was completely dead on a Saturday afternoon, when a woman and man came walking out of the Chamber of Commerce building. They were super nice at first... until the woman asked where I was from. I said Raleigh, and their whole demeanor changed instantly. The woman had the nerve to say "You couldn't pay me to live in Raleigh. It's a dump. I don't know why anybody would want to live there." That was just a snippet of all the things she said. I was flabbergasted, and immediately regretted the fact that I had just wasted my money on hotel nights, restaurants, and entertainment in a city where people have the nerve to say such hateful things to visitors. It would've been different if it had just been some random person on the street, but this was a situation with two employees of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. Not a good look. 

At least our newspaper doesn't publish such trash as the Raleigh bashing article that the Charlotte Observer printed. There is a reason people in the Triangle are defensive about that. 99% of the people I know in Charlotte are constantly bashing Raleigh. The last time I visited Charlotte was in 2008, and I will never go back. I was walking along Tryon, which was completely dead on a Saturday afternoon, when a woman and man came walking out of the Chamber of Commerce building. They were super nice at first... until the woman asked where I was from. I said Raleigh, and their whole demeanor changed instantly. The woman had the nerve to say "You couldn't pay me to live in Raleigh. It's a dump. I don't know why anybody would want to live there." That was just a snippet of all the things she said. I was flabbergasted, and immediately regretted the fact that I had just wasted my money on hotel nights, restaurants, and entertainment in a city where people have the nerve to say such hateful things to visitors. It would've been different if it had just been some random person on the street, but this was a situation with two employees of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. Not a good look. 

I think it's pretty unfair to base your entire perception of a city based on one poor experience from 7 years ago (things have changed a bit, I'd imagine the same could be said for Raleigh), but to each their own.  I've never heard anyone refer to Raleigh as "a dump", so that is quite shocking.  

I'm not sure who you surround yourself with, but if 99% of the people you know in Charlotte are as concerned with "bashing Raleigh" as you say they are...it might be time to make some new friends.

And as far as that opinion piece http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/mark-washburn/article14417114.html?utm_content=buffer56ddf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1 from Mark Washburn is concerned, I'd recommend you take a look at his other work.  He's basically the Observer's version of Buzzfeed, chock full of click bait with poor attempts at humor.  And when I say "poor attempts at humor", I don't mean "tasteless".  I just mean that the guy isn't funny, but thinks he is hilarious.  He had an article in December titled "How has Charlotte turned into such a loser".  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/mark-washburn/article9242066.html

My perception of Charlotte has been formed from being a life long North Carolinian who grew up 45 minutes to an hour outside Charlotte. I've seen and heard the insults Charlotteans regularly hurl toward other cities throughout my entire life. I'm not just basing my perception off petty dislikes or one specific instance. It's been 34 years of hearing Charlotteans talk smack.

Eh, I wish Charlotte had gotten a university on par with NCSU in the late 1800s. That could've gone a long way--both for the urban character of the city as well as its politics. Charlotte proper is not responsible for the state government we have, and it is taking steps to become a more interesting place. I'll have to get over there and visit NoDA and South End some day. In the meantime they're allies who are hurting from the state's policies just as much as the Triangle.

The perception of Raleigh as a boring place is far more widespread than just Charlotte's board of commerce I'm afraid. Even though in reality that's not the case, it will take some time for that to change. There are people who move to the Triangle and only visit downtown Durham the entire time they're here. That is the extent of the problem with perception that Raleigh has.

All of North Carolina for that matter... we tend not to toot our own horn much. South Carolina has the world convinced they have better beaches, Virginia has the world convinced they have better cities, and Tennessee has an awful lot of people convinced the Smokies are fully within their state. There are people who go to school at UNC and pretty much go up to VA or SC for vacations, thinking there's nothing here. The whole 'vale of humility' thing really hasn't helped us out much.