Triangle in the national media

From Forbes

and the rest is made up by some surprising locales, including Anchorage, Raleigh, N.C., and Virginia Beach, Va.

It's interesting that the folks at Forbes, when writing the article felt as if they had to specify Raleigh, NC and Virginia Beach, VA but not Anchorage, AK. Apparently Anchorage is OK on its own without the AK and the former two must be less well known than Alaska's largest city. And I'm sure the American people couldn't have tossed out a guess that Virginia Beach might possibly be in gasp Virginia! :rolleyes: That kind of crap annoys me.

I am sure more people have been to Va Beach and Raleigh than Anchorage, AK. They also mentioned that San Jose is in Calif. Overall I don't really think it means anything.

This kind of stuff does not bother me. After traveling around I came to realize that there some really geographically ignorant people in the world. Also it takes a while for a city to really define itself before the state moniker falls off. Atlanta has been known ever since the civil war days so I am not going to hold my breath on when Charlotte or Raleigh gets to drop the NC. However when the Panthers were on national TV twice this year I didn't hear the NC part.

This kind of stuff does not bother me. After traveling around I came to realize that there some really geographically ignorant people in the world. Also it takes a while for a city to really define itself before the state moniker falls off. Atlanta has been known ever since the civil war days so I am not going to hold my breath on when Charlotte or Raleigh gets to drop the NC. However when the Panthers were on national TV twice this year I didn't hear the NC part.

Also I have a wallpaper on my computer at work of the skylines of Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston and Greensboro. I get asked all the time where are those cities and when I tell them over half the people say they know of someone who lives or has been to Raleigh. I am out here in Vegas so Raleigh is known as a great place. My supervisors wife has a sister that lives there and he says she loves it... :thumbsup:

On a trip to virginia beach a few years ago, while eating at a seafood place the waitress asked us where we were from. "Raleigh," someone said. She looked at us like we had said we were from the moon.

It's true, there probably aren't too many waitresses reading Forbes, but don't think that just b/c we have a good sense of where Raleigh is that everyone else does, too.

On a trip to virginia beach a few years ago, while eating at a seafood place the waitress asked us where we were from. "Raleigh," someone said. She looked at us like we had said we were from the moon.

It's true, there probably aren't too many waitresses reading Forbes, but don't think that just b/c we have a good sense of where Raleigh is that everyone else does, too.

If Raleigh's never been a part of your life in any way, you tend to forget about it. Some people only recall the name because they had to memorize it when they learned the state capitals in grade school.

Raleigh is one of the richest and Cary is one of the safest.

Group ranks most dangerous U.S. cities

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/21/camden.crime.ap/index.html

For the second year in a row this destitute city of Camden, New Jersey, has been named the nation's most dangerous, according to a company's annual ranking based on crime statistics

At the other end of the scale, the safest are named as: Newton, Massachusetts; Clarkstown, New York; Amherst, New York; Mission Viejo, California; Brick Township, New Jersey; Troy, Michigan; Thousand Oaks, California; Round Rock, Texas; Lake Forest, California; Cary, North Carolina.

I would think that you got a wierd look because someone from Raleigh would go to one of the Virginia beaches instead.

I hope this doesn't start a Virginia Beaches vs. North Carolina Beaches. In my book its no contest. I can say that since I was raised in N.C. but now live in Virginia.

I would think that you got a wierd look because someone from Raleigh would go to one of the Virginia beaches instead.

I hope this doesn't start a Virginia Beaches vs. North Carolina Beaches. In my book its no contest. I can say that since I was raised in N.C. but now live in Virginia.

Keep in mind VB is a military town and a lot of people move here from elsewhere .. although hopefully they have at least heard of Raleigh as it is the state's capital.

• 2 months later...

5 years is a bad #. Glenwood South started coming together in the late 90's

I caught that, too. I could've sworn Pine State was fully leased five years ago and 510 was up and running. But who knows. Time passes in odd ways sometimes.

I know fact-certain that the area was dead 15 years ago when I lived at St. Mary's Apartments (corner of St. Mary's & H'boro). Char Grill and Irregardless were the only places to eat anywhere near there.

Still, a cool article, and great that that area has clearly crossed the tipping point toward success.

no, it was a wharehouse for the railroad... easy to get confused I suppose.

It WAS the Norfolk-Southern passenger and freight depot during this time period. It coexisted with Union Station which still stands at Dawson and Martin (greatly modified and with no tracks leading to it anymore.

Five years ago glenwood south was already looking pretty good....The Rockford opened 1998 which was the first restaurant there.

Edited by Jones133