Triangle in the national media

Forbes Mags latest Study finds Raleigh #2 and Durham # 8 in the US for doing business. This comes just days after the best places for singles 2006 placed the Triangle in the top 10. The accolades keep on rolling in. And a week after the Best Places to live Study Place Raleigh and Cary near the top of the charts in their respective categories.

Forbes Best Places

The growth of the metro will definetly continue to be on fire with this kind of praise continuing to happen. Bring on the families, retirees, and singles. ;)

Poll Where America Wants to live

• 2 weeks later...

Top Sports Cities

Interesting Article on Top Sport Cities by The Sporting News. I saw this last year and The Triangle was 23. I think we take it for granted but the Triangle is right up there with the big boys. Charlotte and Winston-Salem are also on the list.

I know people like to claim these lists as BS, especially if they are not on it, or not ahead of someone, but I would rather be on the list than not.

Edited by Subway Scoundrel

I don't like any sports at all, and even I can tell the Triangle would rate high on such a ranking. :thumbsup:

1: Three ACC schools that play big-time basketball & football

2: a Stanley-cup winning hockey team, and

3: the most famous minor-league baseball team in the US.

Makes sense to me.

That's great for the Triangle. As a longtime follower of pretty much only major league, pro sports, it was easy for me to overlook NCAA hoops and minor league ball. Now having seen how big a thrill it is around here, it's no surprise we're so high on the list.

Now Boston dropping back to #7...that I can't get on board with. Try getting tickets to a Sox game.

1: Three ACC schools that play big-time basketball & football

Maybe basketball, but our football teams have toiled in mediocrity for their entire existences. There are maybe 3 years where each UNC, NCSU, and Duke have been mentioned in the national picture, but none has come close to being eligible to play for the national championship. They do for some reason gather big crowds, but that's another thread.

I hope that my team can make it back to the Mediocrity Bowl this season and show off just how far the ACC's 7 teams have come in the last 35 years - er... Sorry, forgot that the proportion of those 7 placing in the top 20 every year has steadily declined as we've expanded the conference and facilities. Don't get me started... :)

Maybe basketball, but our football teams have toiled in mediocrity for their entire existences. There are maybe 3 years where each UNC, NCSU, and Duke have been mentioned in the national picture, but none has come close to being eligible to play for the national championship.

In 1996 carolina went 11-1 and had a final ranking of #4 in the country. The only loss they had was against FSU. Because of that one loss they settled for the gator bowl (then the 2nd place bowl for ACC) and beat VA tech 44-3. If that's not close to winning a national championship, i don't know what is.

When spurrier coached duke, they were good (late 80's early 90's). ACC football can hold its own.

In 1996 carolina went 11-1 and had a final ranking of #4 in the country. The only loss they had was against FSU. Because of that one loss they settled for the gator bowl (then the 2nd place bowl for ACC) and beat VA tech 44-3. If that's not close to winning a national championship, i don't know what is.

I'd say that playing in a BCS game is "closer", although they, too, are a bunch of meaningless exhibition games. The winner of those games takes home a trophy and didn't advance toward winning the championship.

What was the point in going 10-1, really? When the Gator Bowl is the big prize, and a few years later an OK 4th in the ACC NCSU team goes to that very same bowl? What's the point?

The fact that one loss to a great team meant that we didn't get an at-large invitation to a BCS game is all I need to show that we will never play for the National Championship unless we are undefeated and nobody else is. Given how improbable that is, there's really no point in getting too excited about college football; especially when Herb Sendek had many more chances to win the Nat. Championship than the collective history of Div. I college football teams from this entire state.

For more on how the ACC 7 from the 70's are crashing and burning in the presence of new members and a facilities arms race, check out my article from Tar Heel HOOPla. Yes, it was written in 2003, but our share in the final poll has actually worsened since then! So has the ACC's per team payout.

Edited by dmccall

I'd say that playing in a BCS game is "closer", although they, too, are a bunch of meaningless exhibition games. The winner of those games takes home a trophy and didn't advance toward winning the championship.

What was the point in going 10-1, really? When the Gator Bowl is the big prize, and a few years later an OK 4th in the ACC NCSU team goes to that very same bowl? What's the point?

The fact that one loss to a great team meant that we didn't get an at-large invitation to a BCS game is all I need to show that we will never play for the National Championship unless we are undefeated and nobody else is. Given how improbable that is, there's really no point in getting too excited about college football; especially when Herb Sendek had many more chances to win the Nat. Championship than the collective history of Div. I college football teams from this entire state.

For more on how the ACC 7 from the 70's are crashing and burning in the presence of new members and a facilities arms race, check out my article from Tar Heel HOOPla. Yes, it was written in 2003, but our share in the final poll has actually worsened since then! So has the ACC's per team payout.

Well the "BCS" bowls are a new thing man. I don't know how long you have been paying attention to football, but that year carolina went 11-1 was the very first year of the BCS. There was a big stink over the fact that they didn't go. And yes, most teams have to go undefeated to get a "BCS" bowl bid (unless they are Notre dame, in which they could have a barely about .500 season :rofl: ). But don't be so down on our teams. Luck has it's ways of turning around.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if any of you ever watch Fine Living. It's a generally obnoxious channel, but sometimes they have decent travel shows. I was watching a show last night, and I saw a neat commercial showing Raleigh's skyline twice, Glenwood South (Red Room), and Durham Mayor Bill Bell. It's the rundown of Forbes best cities---which the Triangle fared well obviously.

It's on Sunday at 8pm if anyone's interested in checking it out.

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/our_special...6_46260,00.html

I'll be interested to see how the area is shown. Usually when these national media types do a story, there is something way off. :wacko:

When Rachel Ray came to the Triangle for "$40 a day" she said something like..."little Durham more than doubles in population when Duke students are in town." I'm thinking...could that be more wrong? Duke's undergrad population is somewhere around 6000 right? Durham's city population is around 250K or something. Maybe she was thinking of UNC's affect on CH's population? The publicity is good anyway I guess.

I'll be interested to see how the area is shown. Usually when these national media types do a story, there is something way off. :wacko:

When Rachel Ray came to the Triangle for "$40 a day" she said something like..."little Durham more than doubles in population when Duke students are in town." I'm thinking...could that be more wrong? Duke's undergrad population is somewhere around 6000 right? Durham's city population is around 250K or something. Maybe she was thinking of UNC's affect on CH's population? The publicity is good anyway I guess.

Yeah, Rachael Ray is pretty much queen of the boneheads. "Little" does she know that "Little" Durham (pop. 204,000) is bigger than Providence, Savannah, Salt Lake City, Ft. Lauderdale and "Little" Rock. :lol:

Durham County's population is closer to the 250k figure. And yes, there's around 6000 undergraduate Dookies at any given moment.

So I just finished watching the show "Vanished" on Fox, and in it, they were going over Senator Collin's ex-wife's background, and the guy tlaking ot her said "You're broke, you've been living in a studio apartment in Raleigh for the past three years" Or something like that. I FREAKED OUT! My mom and I started applauding, and now I won't be able to sleep. RALEIGH HAS A NAME!!!! They didn't even say Raleigh, North Carolina. Just Raleigh, as if you were supposed to know where it was already!

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!

In the previews for next week, they had something with a north carolina license plate, so maybe Raleigh will get another mention, I'll keep you guys updated

I AM SO HAPPY!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: