Cleaning an ipod...?

FromCityToRural

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh, I've heard some bits and pieces on the iphone, nothing on the itv though. Makes me sick, more yuppie showoff stuff. I mean, how many gadgets do you really need on a phone? Last I checked, phones were for talking. I got the one I have because I thought it looked good...then I found out it has a camera and all that fancy stuff on it. When I'm up for my two year upgrade, I'll either ditch the cell phone thing completely or go to a normal phone without all the whiz-bang stuff on it.

I have had my 4th generation iPod for about 3 years. I am generally careful with it, but its been through a lot. Its scratched up badly, and its been dropped more times than I care to mention... but it still works like a dream! I am one of those who was pulled into the Mac world by this wonderful device and I have never thought twice about it. Apple's computers are superior in every way. OS X is light years ahead of Vista, and its been out for many years now. And on top of all that, I can even run those obscure window's programs if I have to since we are on Intel processors.

Agreed, it's definitely one of the best phones ever put out in the US (and for the world at that matter). Just hate that it won't come out till June. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My new nano is getting a little dusty so I shall follow directions from on here and hopefully not kill the thing... I am going to Florida for the weekend and do not feel dragging my laptop along. Can I charge my ipod on my sister's laptop regardless of whether she has itunes downloaded? I don't see why it would matter.

'

My new nano is getting a little dusty so I shall follow directions from on here and hopefully not kill the thing... I am going to Florida for the weekend and do not feel dragging my laptop along. Can I charge my ipod on my sister\'s laptop regardless of whether she has itunes downloaded? I don\'t see why it would matter.

\'

I would think you could though I've never tried doing it but it makes sense.

Good point metro, I never did think about the data plans Cingular/AT&T might roll out especially for this phone. If they are too pricey, I may decide just to not get the iPhone and wait for a more updated version of the iPod (heard the new generation one would be designed like the iPhone :shades:). The primary reason I'm getting this phone is for the updated iPod and cell-phone capabilities (and maybe the internet here and there sometimes). I have a 2 year old 4th generation U2 edition iPod and I only have about 700 songs max on it so the smaller storage space on the iPhone won't matter to me and will be a nice upgrade.

Not sure. My fifth generation IPOD won't work or charge on my friends computers because the IPOD is registered to my computer alone. It's a nifty security device yet a pain in the ass at the same time. I'm not sure how it works on nano's but my guess would be that it won't work on there. Also, whatever you do don't register your IPOD on another computer because it will erase all of your music and videos.

My iPod mini (i know, so old!) uses USB, and it allows you to tie your iPod to 5 computers. Also, a little known fact: If the computer won't let you load songs onto the iPod from another computer, simply open the files on the iPod from MyComputer or the Finder and drag the songs in there (or copy them). You won't be able to listen to these songs until you get to your computer and can load those songs into iTunes and then onto your iPod, but it's better than nothing.

Acryllic polishers. You can get them anywhere. When I got my iPod video, I had meant to get a case for it, but after receiving some scratches early on, I just gave up and my iPod has been caseless for about a year. Sure I've dropped it, but they build them stronger now. Whenever it gets really messed up from the car keys or concrete, I just apply some acryllic polisher and all the scratches magically disappear. Good as new.

Acryllic polishers. You can get them anywhere. When I got my iPod video, I had meant to get a case for it, but after receiving some scratches early on, I just gave up and my iPod has been caseless for about a year. Sure I've dropped it, but they build them stronger now. Whenever it gets really messed up from the car keys or concrete, I just apply some acryllic polisher and all the scratches magically disappear. Good as new.

It wasn't effective on the metal back (the front is made of acryllic). I had to carefully use a metal polisher and not get it on the plastic.

Brasso, which is a metal polisher can actually be used on both sides. It's been warned that the can must be relatively new, because a can that has sat too long can cause the chemicals to seperate and it will be too abrasive. I haven't tried this myself, but I plan to experiment on my old iPod. From what I've read, there have been tons of success stories and only a couple failures. But those people admitted they had used older product.

You might want to google IPod brasso to get some good directions and helpful hints.

It wasn't effective on the metal back (the front is made of acryllic). I had to carefully use a metal polisher and not get it on the plastic.

Brasso, which is a metal polisher can actually be used on both sides. It's been warned that the can must be relatively new, because a can that has sat too long can cause the chemicals to seperate and it will be too abrasive. I haven't tried this myself, but I plan to experiment on my old iPod. From what I've read, there have been tons of success stories and only a couple failures. But those people admitted they had used older product.

You might want to google IPod brasso to get some good directions and helpful hints.

• 4 months later...
I appears this will be a pricey phone indeed as you have to pay $600 for it and the cheapest AT&T plan is over $2000/year and you still have to sign a contract.

More amusing, Apple is hyping its phone on the pseudo news programs this morning and I watch the one on the NBC's Today show. After saying they were "lucky" to get a phone, one of the talking heads tried to answer the phone on a call they setup and she could not figure out how to do it.

$600 is the 8GB model, the 4GB will be $500. Considering my wife just bought me an iPod for $300 that in essence makes the phone roughly $200 which is about what you pay to get a newly released fairly equipped phone from AT&T Wireless nowadays. I'm on Verizon and we have the cheapest plan possible for two lines and it still comes out to be $83 each month which is a heck of a lot more than the minimum $50 plan available with the iPhone. Considering you get access to maps, e-mail, Internet, etc. with the iPhone and all we have is the basic voice plan with 30 text messages each month added, I'd say the iPhone plans are a pretty good deal in comparison. Had this phone been released on the Verizon network I likely may have foregone my recent purchase of a KRZR in lieu of the iPhone.

Of course this thread really has nothing to do with the iPhone except possibly cleaning it, of which case the iPhone has a glass screen and shouldn't scratch like iPods in the past. I just purchased a clear "skin" for my iPod to protect the finish. Unfortunately it was $16 just for the clear piece of plastic to go on the front and the back but it is better than having it scratched to death. I also use a clear skin on my PDA's screen and it works great at preventing smudges and scratches.

A thread specific to the Apple iPhone has been started here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39902

Archived