Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks fantastic. Can't wait for this to go up! And finally some retail for DT.

Fraim said the retail space will add a component missing from Granby Street.

"One of the main reasons you don't see a lot of retail on Granby Street is that there is not convenient parking for customers," Nusbaum said. "Our 50,000 square feet of retail is going to have 2,000 parking places right on top of them."

PERFECT location! It's just what we need to connect Granby Tower to the main business district. I'm glad that it can increase in height according to demand, but I hope it doesn't detract from our hopes of a 40 story building on the St. Paul's lot (or whatever it's called). We've still got a year and a half before construction, but this one appears to be good to go.

Could this be the beginning of an office boom? I think so.

On another note, this caught my attention:

It will also be located adjacent to a plot of vacant land at MacArthur Center, where Taubman Co. has an option to build a third anchor store for the mall. Fraim said he hopes the retail component of Wachovia Center "will push Taubman to make a decision about a third anchor."

I thought that Barnes & Noble was the third anchor? I'm confused.

I guess it would be this block just south(west) of Scope.

downtown-1.jpg

On another note, this caught my attention:

I thought that Barnes & Noble was the third anchor? I'm confused.

I was thinking the same thing.. :dontknow:

You can see the 3rd anchor lot in the pic as well.

Oh! I forgot to add that I thought this was interesting, " Fraim said he expects to announce a deal soon on a Hilton Hotel that will be topped with luxury condominiums and be attached to a conference center, a $110 million, 25-story project." :unsure:

Rewind to Jan/Feb 06, same exact comment. Rewind to Jan/Feb 05, same exact comment. We'll see. As for the office tower, fantastic! :yahoo:

I guess it would be this block just south(west) of Scope.

downtown-1.jpg

I was thinking the same thing.. :dontknow:

You can see the 3rd anchor lot in the pic as well.

Umm, they said this building was "on Granby" but from the description I don't see how it could possible be. The structure is on Monticello and will replace the parking garage immediatiely to the North of Mac mall kiddy corner to the Norva.

Damnit, yall just made me bust out google earth. Be right back. :lol:

Darn the filters at work. Can't see any of the images. Anyway, I see CMSS had nothing to do with designing this building. Anyone heard of Davis, Carter, Scott and Associates? I find it refreshing is to see other companies out of the area are also designing our buildings.

This is the perfect type of project for that location. It transitions from that low-rise housing cluster to the newly developing north side of downtown. The newspaper article suggests that it might grow a few floors, depending on demand. That would really help the massing of the tower, which doesn't do much for me as is (I'm a snob but this is exciting news). Funny that this would put Nusbaum Realty back near its old location, which was in the Maritime Tower (torn down for the mall).

This is the perfect type of project for that location. It transitions from that low-rise housing cluster to the newly developing north side of downtown. The newspaper article suggests that it might grow a few floors, depending on demand. That would really help the massing of the tower, which doesn't do much for me as is (I'm a snob but this is exciting news). Funny that this would put Nusbaum Realty back near its old location, which was in the Maritime Tower (torn down for the mall).

Yeah, it's dimensions are a little Traderish, which is traditional for Norfolk but lets go for tall and sleek for once. It will really help the density of that area though and Granby shouldn't feel so lonely now.

I found the architect and they are based out of Tysons in Nova. Looks like they have done some nice work.

link

To give you an idea guy the rendering looks a lot like those pictures posted from Nova in the town center thread. Omg, I just realised this building looks exactly like a building in Tysons (or is it arlington) that I pass by on 95 on my way up to Bmore. Anyone know the building i'm talking about, it looks exactly like this one and is visible from the freeway. I knew I had seen this building somewhere.

What a fantastic announcement! I for one am glad that Norfolk has let go of its sports arena dreaming for now. Those extravagant sports complexes are a fantastic waste of public dollars - the team ownership gets a new facility on the backs of the local taxpayers and then in 5-10 years, the team decides it's going to relocate, leaving the city with a mortgage to pay. I would much rather see a development like Wachovia Center on this parking lot that will contribute tax revenue and vibrancy every day of the week, rather than an arena which will be lively on at most, 2-3 nights during the week.

I also don't understand why there is only 50,000 square feet of proposed retail space, when the proposed development pad could be at least 100,000 square feet. In the interest of creating a truly vibrant street and urban retail area, the City should be advocating for as much large-format retail space as possible on that lot that could potentially house retailers like a two-level Bed Bath and Beyond, urban Target, or other similar stores that would want to be located next to, but not inside of, MacArthur Center.

I'm ecstatic that an architect other than CMSS is designing a new building. I for one can't stand CMSS's planning or their bland pre-cast concrete designs.

And finally, I'm very happy to see the continuing and even increasing competitiveness of Hampton Roads's original downtown in the face of competition from its suburban competitors like VB Town Center and Oyster Point Town Center.

I think I know the building you are thinking of Vdogg. This will be good for downtown Norfolk. The density of the area will be greatly improved. What about ground floor retail? Does anyone know how much this new building will have?

Btw, it'll be nice to see an office tower around here break 30. With those higher floor to ceiling heights it'll really

make an impact on the skyline. :) Hopefully that few extra floors becomes a reality. I think it's inevitable with the office market the way it is. I am concerned about our prospects for a signature tower on the St. Pauls lot now, but this new project has been in the works for 14 months so I don't think the city would be also pushing for St. Pauls if demand wasn't there.

Archived