Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

Wow, the above statement was telling for sure as I have the same feedback. Most want out of the area due to the job market! If jobs improve locally I think it will reverse the low occupancy downtown. Also, increase those who would love to live downtown regardless of price. ALL cities face the same issue most overlook aside from those like us who show an interest in development as a whole. If you don't have the jobs a metro won't grow. If you dont have the jobs people will move were the jobs are. Growth is simply a matter of opportunities in certain regions or cities or states.

Northern VA is a prime example of growth and jobs. Is it that Northern VA is better than Richmond or Hampton Roads? No, its just that jobs are there, many jobs so when you go there it looks more busy and exciting due to those who live there based on a stronger job market. The opposite of this is Detroit. While Detroit is still a wonderful town, crime and job loss has made it less attractive and many have left the city as well as the state of Michigan. It all boils down to MONEY/JOBS/OPPORTUNITIES!!! Great statement above and deep in my opinion as to what the area faces under all the window dressing!!! Imagine if the government cuts back more locally than they already have!!!! LGNMshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the above statement was telling for sure as I have the same feedback. Most want out of the area due to the job market! If jobs improve locally I think it will reverse the low occupancy downtown. Also, increase those who would love to live downtown regardless of price. ALL cities face the same issue most overlook aside from those like us who show an interest in development as a whole. If you don't have the jobs a metro won't grow. If you dont have the jobs people will move were the jobs are. Growth is simply a matter of opportunities in certain regions or cities or states.

Northern VA is a prime example of growth and jobs. Is it that Northern VA is better than Richmond or Hampton Roads? No, its just that jobs are there, many jobs so when you go there it looks more busy and exciting due to those who live there based on a stronger job market. The opposite of this is Detroit. While Detroit is still a wonderful town, crime and job loss has made it less attractive and many have left the city as well as the state of Michigan. It all boils down to MONEY/JOBS/OPPORTUNITIES!!! Great statement above and deep in my opinion as to what the area faces under all the window dressing!!! Imagine if the government cuts back more locally than they already have!!!! LGNMshades.gifshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

At the end of the day, you will have contractors like individuals renting those spaces and those who are single who wish to dedicate that money to living in something different in the area. I remember growing up and females and people alike associated "having" money meant you were in the military or worked at the shipyard. When I finally got to college, I noticed that "military" was handled in a different light, as officers. So when you come back to the area, you always meet someone who is enlisted vs an officer. It is completely different in Northern Virginia. I'm hard pressed to find an enlisted person, although I know its plenty. Remember, I come from the background were my father and uncle as military full bird/LT colonials. So no, you will not have teachers or any other "regular" professional living in these buildings which is unfortunate. I would like to think I could afford, but I won't afford it because I do not get anything out of living there outside of high rent. But like everything else around here, it will just take a little time for the prices not to matter as much, then it will be packed out.

Yea, if you look at craigslist everyone thinks their house is a rental or sale geared towards an officer.

Most of the people I know/have met in Belmont @ Freemason are .mil. Nothing wrong with that, but there really needs to be a balance where private jobs pay enough to afford the general housing stock, not just wealth redistribution via gov't.

Yes, the people I know who are looking to move are looking for more challenging work with better employers. They aren't unemployed, quite the opposite. It's just that gov't and gov't contractors don't always make for good workplaces. There is a reason everyone wants to work for companies like Google, and reason the local military contractors can't keep good people.

And all of this kills this area. But to most, any job is good. No distinction.

I used to get paid like $55K to do nothing all day. The contractor just needed someone in the seat. I'd offer to do things but they didn't really want anything done. Just fill out a time card. It's mind numbing. It's horrible. But some people are content with it. Working for a small company was sooo much more rewarding, like 10 times over. But they don't work well here.

• 1 month later...

this project looks great in person.. norfolk seriously needs more developments like this.. I know we don't want the market to become over saturated.. but this really should put pressure on the development of the grassy area across the street, right? it's amazing how much different Monticello looks now.. I'm falling back in love with Norfolk

• 4 weeks later...

Monticello side is looking great, almost complete really.. windows & brick siding going up... Signage for "Bite" is up and buildout of BWW seems to be occuring..

I wonder how many of these will be leased.

I'm excited about the BWW. I do not even care for them, but I think that will do well, especially with the afterwork crowd.....I hope they do it unique with regards to the viewing TV's

I'm assuming 7am to 3pm

another mid day establishment, at least for now. They are ok, but Jimmy Johns tried an around the clock service, I noticed they cut back on hours. this is because again, nothing really to do after hours because people are use to not doing anything. The city has to assist in bring people back out and into DT. Have a outside concert for free with local talent, do jazz one afternoon, something else another afternoon, free parking at a specific garage and give people a chance to explore DT. Its like rocket science to them for some reason.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at the baseball game tonight and watched the crowds mob onto the train from the top of the stadium. (should look into optomising the schedual for game time) Didn't ride it tonight casue I used the ferry from portsmouth. Will go downtown on Tuesday [using lightrail from newtown of course], planning to snap a bunch of pictures of lightrail and wells fargo. I forgot my camera tonight so no pics :/

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the baseball game tonight and watched the crowds mob onto the train from the top of the stadium. (should look into optomising the schedual for game time) Didn't ride it tonight casue I used the ferry from portsmouth. Will go downtown on Tuesday [using lightrail from newtown of course], planning to snap a bunch of pictures of lightrail and wells fargo. I forgot my camera tonight so no pics :/

Oh cool, so I was wondering if and how many actually road the train for the tides game. So it was a lot huh? Honestly, they need to start tuning that flat lot into a parking deck. Tides games, admiral games, NSU football games, Scope and Crysler events and not to mention festivals in the spring and summer.

I rode the Tide from Newtown last night and there was a packed train coming from Harbor Park that was out of service after it dropped riders off. Another one came a few minutes later so I am assuming it's like the ferry that they have over there that they run for the ball games as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived