Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

I think we need to enlist tuffsim again to go to the next state of the city if he can. He did an excellent job last year. :D

He sure did. I remember that day well... very exciting! I hope we'll be in for the same kind of surprises again this year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need to enlist tuffsim again to go to the next state of the city if he can. He did an excellent job last year. :D

I think Chesapeakepirate is going to it. He was asking about it in the off topic thread I think. Now that I have a dvr I will record it when it comes on channel 48

Tuffism hasn't been on here for awhile. I hope that he does come back and report on what he has seen or heard!

I would think that the city would have waited until the State of the City address to announce this.

I'm stoked just the same though.

So by 2010, we will have at least 3 more towers in the skyline!!! :yahoo:

Are you counting Hilton and Granby in those 3? I wouldn't hold my breath. :lol:

I'm still waiting for more info on Hoffler and Brambleton :unsure:

He sure did. I remember that day well... very exciting! I hope we'll be in for the same kind of surprises again this year.

I have a feeling it is gonna be hard to stand last year's address against this year. Last year literally blew me away. (I ended up in Richmond having to catch a cab back home. :shok:;) ). Seriously though it is amazing what is going on in Norfolk. I can appreciate their progressive attitude for building up the city.

I have a feeling it is gonna be hard to stand last year's address against this year. Last year literally blew me away. (I ended up in Richmond having to catch a cab back home. :shok:;) ). Seriously though it is amazing what is going on in Norfolk. I can appreciate their progressive attitude for building up the city.

I wish they would work on the rest of the city by turning it into urban neighborhoods. I realize that the entire city can't be just transformed but I would love to see them create more neighborhoods all the way to OV that are like Ghent!

Did you look at the illustration on the inside page of the fish wrapping? It looks like they saved some space for an eventual replacement for Chrysler Hall. That would open space up on the Scope plaza for a larger arena. True, the money isn't there now, but who knows? I'm impressed with the strategic planning for this project, even if the tower design isn't very nice.

I think Chesapeakepirate is going to it. He was asking about it in the off topic thread I think. Now that I have a dvr I will record it when it comes on channel 48

Tuffism hasn't been on here for awhile. I hope that he does come back and report on what he has seen or heard!

I'll see what I can do.

Is there enough space near Harbor Park for a giant arena? Or is that even a viable suggestion?

I like the idea of an entertainment district in and around Granby/MacArthur - Scope; Chrysler Hall; Granby Theatre; Roper Theatre; NorVa; The Wells; Harrison Opera House, AND a new Symphony Hall.

Is there enough space near Harbor Park for a giant arena? Or is that even a viable suggestion?

I really need to find that document, I think it's in the 2010 plan, but I believe that next to harbor park, or the land that harbor park is on itself, was the alternative location for an arena. Not to mention, if we tear down Scope we can probably build an arena to meet our needs, if it is an innovative enough design.

I really need to find that document, I think it's in the 2010 plan, but I believe that next to harbor park, or the land that harbor park is on itself, was the alternative location for an arena. Not to mention, if we tear down Scope we can probably build an arena to meet our needs, if it is an innovative enough design.

It is in here 2010 plan See page 6 -- shows a conceptual of a waterfront arena (kinda like the one in Tampa on Harbor Island)

To give you an idea guy the rendering looks a lot like those pictures posted from Nova in the town center thread. Omg, I just realised this building looks exactly like a building in Tysons (or is it arlington) that I pass by on 95 on my way up to Bmore. Anyone know the building i'm talking about, it looks exactly like this one and is visible from the freeway. I new I had seen this building somewhere.

mvc-007s.jpg

Is this the view you're thinking of vdogg? That's the One Freedom Square in the Reston Town Center.

As viewed from the Dulles Toll Road. Was easily the most prominent building in the town center for the longest time. Not as much now with everything else around it. But that was exactly where my mind went as well when I saw this rendering. Very similar. But on closer inspection there are a lot of differences. A closer view:

project-onefreedom.jpg

render500x306.jpg

So ya, if the architect is out of Tyson's, and seems to have done work all over nova, I'm sure they would be quite familar with that view of Reston.

mvc-007s.jpg

Is this the view you're thinking of vdogg? That's the One Freedom Square in the Reston Town Center.

As viewed from the Dulles Toll Road. Was easily the most prominent building in the town center for the longest time. Not as much now with everything else around it. But that was exactly where my mind went as well when I saw this rendering. Very similar. But on closer inspection there are a lot of differences. A closer view:

project-onefreedom.jpg

render500x306.jpg

So ya, if the architect is out of Tyson's, and seems to have done work all over nova, I'm sure they would be quite familar with that view of Reston.

Good job! That is the exact building I was thinking of. It's not bad, I just hope we can do better. It is obviously the same design.

lil-bear, question for you, what will be the size of the arena and what percentage of those persons will use light rail? What percentage will use parking garages and which garages will they use? Thank you for the help.

The city wishes for a 20K seat arena.

Percentages aren't necessary. But when people are forced to change their habits they do. So in the event a new arena is built next to Harbor Park, fans attending these venues will either park their car and ride LR or park in a garage. Parking just outside the building will be a premium, so then one has to weigh cost to convienence. If parking become very limited due to an arena being built on a former parking lot, remaining spaces will either be not available to the general public or will cost a high fee to use a space plus having to get to the lot a few hours early (first come basis).

I leave town for three days, and look what i miss!! Definitely excited about this project, looks like it'll be a driving force in downtown, and kudos to Norfolk for keeping it under wraps as long as they have. Obviously we all wish for more floors and height, but even if they aren't able to, a 20-25 story tower in the middle of downtown will definitely even out the area. Currently the majority of the towers are at the southern end of downtown, until Granby *fingers crossed* gets built, and the AT&T buildings, but not much else. Having this in the 'middle' of downtown will help give continuity to the area. Also, MacArthur will not be buffered by two towers, Trader at one end and Wachovia on the other, so good news all around.

I'm hoping to be able to attend the State of the City as well, our company is members but we'll see.

One question this raises, how might this affect the Synder lot office building idea? Proposals should have been in three months ago, and no news. We might hear something at SotC, but the argument was there was no office space in downtown. While this doesn't fully take care of the supply end, it does help, especially with taking three tenants already downtown. This might shelve the Synder lot for a few years as a result.

One question this raises, how might this affect the Synder lot office building idea? Proposals should have been in three months ago, and no news. We might hear something at SotC, but the argument was there was no office space in downtown. While this doesn't fully take care of the supply end, it does help, especially with taking three tenants already downtown. This might shelve the Synder lot for a few years as a result.

I'm not so sure about that. Negotiations have been going on for 14 months. Norfolk asked for proposals for the snyder lot just this past summer. I have to assume they would've taken this building into account when making the decision of whether Norfolk needs more office space. This tower is officially 53% leased with more tenants in negotiation. The way this article sounds is that if those other tenants come on board they will use up the remaining availiable space, leaving us in the same predicament, no large quantities of contiguous office space availiable downtown. For this reason, I think the Snyder lot proposal will proceed as planned and the applicant chosen will likely be announced at the state of the city. Keep in mind that Norfolks "request for proposals" is really just an organization of proposals that have already been received for that lot.

Archived