Any fish enthusiasts?

pboersma

Hey, I just moved to GR and still learning my way around. I'm setting up a nice freshwater fish tank now that I'm here and was trying to find some good places to shop around and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good shops? I found VIPets and they seem to have a good selection of fish, I'm really looking for some good decoration too and need some large pieces of driftwood. Anyone know of a place to look? If it were back home, I'd just go out to the woods and find some myself, but being unfamiliar with the area I wouldn't even know where to begin. Any help, or maybe some other forums that be a good place to check would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking to go all natural, the best spot to look mght be the river, up north by Comstock park near 5th/3rd Ball Park (Head north on US 131, and get off at the West River Drive Exit) the Kent County Trail is in the area, and if I remember it runs parallel to the grand river up there, so that might be a good place to start. (Although don't ask me how legal this might be)

Depending on where you live, there is probably a wooded area somewhere near the area.

VIP pets is pretty good for fish, and the larger chains (i.e. petsmart) have a decent selection too. There is also a place in K-zoo, whose name escapes me, that is supposed to have an excellent selection of fish stuff. Lansing has a great place too, but that's a little far.

What kind of tank is it gonna be? tropical freshwater? Or are you thinking of stocking north american fish?

Thanks for the info so far guys. I know of a place in Kalamazoo, MVPets which is excellent, just too far of a drive to check out weekly. Deep Sea Aquarium in Kzoo is also decent. I'm setting up a tropical freshwater tank, I'm going to get several discus but so far only have a couple german blue rams and several cardinal tetras. I live right downtown, so I'm not really close to any wooded areas that I know, but I'll check out Comstock park and Chow Hound stores, thanks!

Large piece of driftwood? Go down to the fish ladder downtown and check out the dam. You can get some waders and find a lot of cool stuff down there along the bend and just below the dam. I believe there is VW Beetle size driftwood down there right now -- chop some good sizes off of it :).

Archived