The warmest winter on record?

snoogit

I'm sure all of us have been paying attention:

New York is to hit 70 degrees today in January

Average temperatures have been hovering around 50 degrees in most cold weather climates

Record amounts of RAIN are being recorded for the month of January.

Trees are blossoming early.

Etc. etc. etc.

And what is the general reaction in the media, and people I have talked to?

Enjoy it! :angry:

Explanations have ranged from El Nino, to Global Warming. Both are credible reactions, and this latest warm winter is more like a combination of both. Yes there is a warmer then usually El Nino this year, but we also have had more unusually warm el-ninos in the past 30 years then we've had in the past century.

And their answer?

Enjoy it! :angry:

Sometimes I see an ad like this one and I think my god there are more like this man out there then I realized. Unfortunately they seem to be everywhere.

This winter, and this year is shaping up to be the warmest year on record. Last year was damn hot. The year before was damn hot. We have had damn hot years for the past 8 years with one fluke year where the summer didn't get above 70 very often here and the winter was in the teens, it was 2001 I think.

Most of you might be enjoying it, but consider for just one second, that this isn't right. That maybe SOMETHING is going on thats not good? Whether you love or hate winter, you have to feel some sort of "uh oh, somethings off here" in you.

If not. Please accept my e-slap across the back of your head followed with a hearty "You stupid ass!"

'cause the next person who tells me to "Enjoy it" should expect the same fate. Only it might not be virtual.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The record high for New York City in January is 68*F, 73*F in december and 75*F in February for recent times. Today has a chance of beating all three as temperatures are already above 70*F.

Keep in mind that January 2006 was the warmest on record for the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if December 2006 was also the warmest on record, or at least in the top 5.

We had our driest summer on record and our hottest July since 1936. Our average high right now is 16*F with a low of -4*F. Temperatures haven't dropped below 10*F at night since early December and temperatures haven't even held near 20*F since early December as well. We've had several days with temperatures in the 40s and most days have been in the 30s. We have an inch of crusty ice/snow on the ground when we should have about 8-10" of snow on the ground and temperatures shouldn't be getting near freezing. Ski areas have been struggling to even make snow, and we're northern Minnesota for God's sake.

1980, 1981, 1983, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and now 2007 have all seen warmer than average winters. 1983, 1987, 1992, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2006 have all been in the top 10. Between 1945 and 1980, not one winter was in the top 10. THe other 3 top 10 winters were 1944, 1931, and 1921.

We're having problems on lakes where ice is only 6" thick when it should be 18" thick.

Temperatures are expected to drop across the west with an active storm track in the central U.S, but the east coast is expected to remain very warm compared to average.

Trust me, Snoogit... No one is enjoying this warmth here. In fact, this weather is having a huge negative impact on our economy.

We were over 80 here today. A bit weird considering the month. I'm with Snowguy though. What kills me is not the weird days that hit 80 (not that uncommon in Georgia), but the fact that every day seems to be warm--no cold weather at all. And it's been like this for the past 3 or 4 years. I've worn short sleeves every New Year's since 2002.

Check out these webcam shots from this morning of Ski Beech Resort at Beech Mountain, NC. Just as an FYI, Beech is at 5500 ft above sea level so it's climate is more like Southern Canada than most of NC.

The ski resort has had to shutdown because all of the snow has melted. This is the first time I remember this happening in January. Compare that to some photos that I took up there 3 years ago in January. See this this thread

beech1.jpg

beech2.jpg

As I've said elsewhere, the Tropic of Cancer has been moved to the 49th parallel.

I hate warm winters. This is the time of year I live for and I feel gypped. It's not like we have cold or cool summers. But hey, I bet Denver's like, so you have 75 degree weather...

I think it's also snowing in New Mexico this week. Man I sure hope winter comes back with a vengence.

I watched Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" this weekend, a must see, especially if you have children who are going to grow up in this world. Anyway, one of the facts he pointed out, is that 10 of the warmest years (earths avg. temp) of all time have come in the last 14 years....... That is scary!

Anyone who thinks global warming is a hoax is out of their mind.

And Denver temps are not much colder than normal, they are just getting alot more precipitation than normal.

This winter has sucked! We finally have snow on the ground this morning again after almost a month without it. A ski area about 5 miles from my house had to completely shut down for the past month, telling employees "sorry, there's nothing for you to do". They finally reopened today.

I believe the main problem that will occur with global warming is the instability of global weather. Even if the average temperature slowly moves upward, we're going to see many more highs and lows, much more frequent storms (like the double whammy in Denver), and much more.

Strangest thing: I met a new neighbor of mine today and she and her husband moved up from North Carolina (just North of Charlotte) for his job. She said she was getting used to the warm weather, which had been like what they normally have for weather in January. I told her "I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted": :D

http://woodtv.images.worldnow.com/Images/forecast_510.jpg

while i may not completely trust the hardcore global warming people, i will say this. the white mountains in NH are fairly white. i spent a few days up there and there is (maybe "was" now with the warm couple days they had after i left) a fair amount of snow on the ground. in fact, i had some of the best skiing i've ever had in new england last week and the temps were about 45 at sunday river in maine. i don't think this winter is over just yet... i'm expecting a cold and snowy march.

I watched Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" this weekend, a must see, especially if you have children who are going to grow up in this world. Anyway, one of the facts he pointed out, is that 10 of the warmest years (earths avg. temp) of all time have come in the last 14 years....... That is scary!

Anyone who thinks global warming is a hoax is out of their mind.

I could see something like 450,000 dying by 2012 due to weather related impacts enhanced by a warmer climate. Even as many as a few million if you count famine and pestulance as a result of climate-related disasters. THat's still tragic. When I hear stories of people not having enough children and population decline, I have more hope. We need to stabilize our population. The momentum of a growing population puts a lot more pressure on the environment than a stable population.

Archived