The warmest winter on record?

snoogit

This winter pretty much blows. It snowed in October, and i freaked out, thinking this winter was going to be the snowiest ever. Well, until yesterday, it hadnt snowed a measurable amount since then. Now its gonna be all snowy in April when its supposed to be warm.

BTW, last week, the maple tree in my front yard had buds growing on it!:sick:

Also, i hope that the temp stays consistent. It sucks when one day its 55 degrees, then the next its 30.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching some History Channel show on Mega Disasters today, and they talked about what could happen in the next couple years. Basically, if too much fresh water melts off the icecaps, it will kill the thermohaline circulation, which is what drives the oceans currents and affects climate. This would prevent warm water from the equator from getting to the North Atlantic, creating a much colder climate up north, another Ice Age if you will. The Eastern Seaboard if the United States and Western Europe would be plunged into a tundra-like scenario while everything south of that would burn up. California would be mud-slided to death due to intensifying El-Nino and the breadbasket would dry up under a heavy drought. This is speculation on the shows part, of course....

It seems to me that every year when it starts to get cool, it gets cold first, like in late October early November it can have some cold days and nights and everyone starts saying, "It's going to be a very cold winter!" Then December 1 is usually 75 degrees with severe storms and tornadoes. The whole month of December can be up and down, 70s one week, 40s next, 70s again. And now January is 60s and 70s witha day or two in the 40s, then right back up in the 60s.

Man I would love the day when in the summer when there would be 2 days in a week where it would be 90 degrees and the rest of the week in the 60s. That'll never happen. We'd probably end up having everything south of the Mason-Dixon line reach 100 for 3 months straight.

I was watching some History Channel show on Mega Disasters today, and they talked about what could happen in the next couple years. Basically, if too much fresh water melts off the icecaps, it will kill the thermohaline circulation, which is what drives the oceans currents and affects climate. This would prevent warm water from the equator from getting to the North Atlantic, creating a much colder climate up north, another Ice Age if you will. The Eastern Seaboard if the United States and Western Europe would be plunged into a tundra-like scenario while everything south of that would burn up. California would be mud-slided to death due to intensifying El-Nino and the breadbasket would dry up under a heavy drought. This is speculation on the shows part, of course....

Its been much colder this week. We actually have a few inches of snow. I hope we get a big snow storm tonight, but i dont think we will.

Its only supposed to be 21 out tomorrow, so maybe it will get really icy and i will get to stay home.

• 1 month later...

In Richmond at least, we only had a 6 week winter. :angry: And everyone just loved it, and wished winter would die because it's just sooooo cold... but they never complain when the whole outdoors becomes a boiling jacuzzi for about 5 months.

• 3 weeks later...

At the end of March we had temps in the upper 70s and all the grass turned green and some flowers started to push through the ground. Then we got 6 inches of snow and temperatures dropped to 0 and it has been in the upper teens/low 20s for the past few days now with no big warm up to normal in sight.

The weather has become so much more extreme! (Record highs to record lows in a week?)

I don't know about that...it was colder down here this winter than last winter (the only two winters I've been down here, so that's all the reference I have). And we currently have a cold spell that's gone on for a couple of days already, and now it's snowing and 34* out. This is early April where it should normally be high 70's / low 80's.

Alaska and Siberia both experienced rather cold winters and the cold air didn't penetrate southward very much thanks to atmospheric circulations that kept the cold bottled up in the arctic. Europe hasn't had really any cold all winter long, and now spring is occurring there in full force.

This cold had to "snap" at some point, and it finally did in near record proportions. Now Alaska has warmed up as the cold has shifted southeastward into the lower 48. I have a feeling that once this cold air finally fizzles itself out (with increasing solar energy hitting hte northern hemisphere), it will get very warm for quite a while.

Just think if this was January?? This "bottled up" Artic air would be even more bone crippling :cold:

This Cold has even made it's way down to the Gulf South in sub-tropical Baton Rouge Louisiana where most of March was in the 80's. Earlier this week it was 85...but at 1 p.m. it's only in the upper 40's :wacko: And that's just plain crazy! With it being cloudy and breezy it feels even colder!!! Tonight there is even a slight chance of sleet!!! All the plants and flowers that have bloomed could be in trouble. Crops in northern Louisiana like corn and peaches could be in trouble with freezing temps later tonight.

Oh gawd I'm glad we're not the only ones getting funky weather. Took the kids to an Easter egg hunt today with snow on the ground, in April. :blink: Quite a shock form 70's and 80's last week.

It was 44 degrees at the Masters today in Augusta, which I can't remember the Masters ever being that cold.

Archived