If you could...

UrbanCharlotte

If you had the resources to purchase a plot of uptown land/or a rundown building in uptown with plans to redevelop it, what would you buy and transform it into? Being realistic with what you do, not putting a themepark uptown, and not choosing a site with and current plans. I've always wished I could by the current Charlotte observer building, and redevelop it into a mixed use tower, with space for the O (even though it would be a problem because they'd have to relocate during construction.) But a 65 story tower with the 1st floor being retail, and a lobby for the tower, 2-15 for the O, fluctuating on need, 15~ to 35 offices, 36-37 a two story restaurant/observation deck, and 37-60 condo units, 60-65 Penthouse units. Pretty tough to accomplish, but it'd be nice. It would also have a major skyline impact.

post-1084-1168111095_thumb.jpg

What would you do?

(Thanks for the skyline pic RHJ)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had the resources to purchase a plot of uptown land/or a rundown building in uptown with plans to redevelop it, what would you buy and transform it into? Being realistic with what you do, not putting a themepark uptown, and not choosing a site with and current plans. I've always wished I could by the current Charlotte observer building, and redevelop it into a mixed use tower, with space for the O (even though it would be a problem because they'd have to relocate during construction.) But a 65 story tower with the 1st floor being retail, and a lobby for the tower, 2-15 for the O, fluctuating on need, 15~ to 35 offices, 36-37 a two story restaurant/observation deck, and 37-60 condo units, 60-65 Penthouse units. Pretty tough to accomplish, but it'd be nice. It would also have a major skyline impact.

What would you do?

(Thanks for the skyline pic RHJ)

After walking along the Irwin Creek Greenway today I would turn that area into a mini river walk area with condos and shops right on the creek and improve the fields at the park. The development would span from Gateway to Third Ward Warehouse District and into Wesley Heights. It would probably be more of a creek walk than a river walk but you guys get the drift.

I'd buy the lots along Trade that are supposedly going to one day become the multi-modal transportation station and develop a mixed use project to help tie Gateway to the CBD. When the multi-modal station is closer to a reality the city can worry about where to stuff it. For now, that land is ripe for development.

i would be simple - 300 south tryon is the last big lot available on tryon - that is also a major hole in the skyline. i would put a 1000 foot mix use building with a gorgeous atrium soaring some 20 stories. however, the front of the tower would have lots of little stores interacting with the street. this tower would serve to bridge the boa wachovia gap

I would come up with a new Parking plan and try to steer development in that direction.

I would pick out areas that have existing surface lots and attempt to get the owners to build

parking decks there, increasing parking capacity in a systematic way and then I'd try to get rid

of all the other surface lots. My goal would be to cut the surface lots area in half and at the same

time increase parking availability. I HATE surface lot parking, it's ugly, dirty and inefficient.

I would really like a zoo or an aquarium in Charlotte. Obviosuly aquariums can be built in single large buildings downtown that become iconic buildings on the skyline (baltimore). Although it would be far tougher to build a zoo closer to downtown, it has been done before. The National Zoo is in a very urban part of DC and the Giraffes at the Sydney zoo have views of the Opera House/bridge/skyline that I would die for.

I would institute a citywide tax on surface parking lots. I want to see suburban shopping centers shift to rooftop parking or decked parking. Likewise, it would vastly increase the holding costs of uptown surface parking lots, forcing Levine and other landholders uptown to either convert their land to openspace or to develop them into human uses.

I'd also build an urban zoo like Philadelphia and a few other cities have.

I'd also build a network of streetcars along the more densely populated corridors.

I'm sure I'd do a lot more, but I don't want to be over indulgent when reality is so stark.

Large office tower with a Costco in the bottom.

After seeing that a Costco in Richmond does a lot more business than one (or more) of the city's malls do,

I'd want a retailer that would really have a big draw and I think a Costco would- much more than a department store would.

I would buy the whole block between W. Morehead, S. Tryon, West Carson, and South Church. I would put a curtain wall of midrise condos fronting 277, an underground parking deck for residents and clients, and build a huge indoor market for fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, and any other vendors that wanted to locate there (ala the West Side Market in Cleveland).

I would also connect my project to downtown via a pedistrian bridge and enhance walkways to the light rail line. I'd front West Carson street with street-front retail with 3 stories of apartments above.

If anyone hasn't seen or been to the West Side Market in Cleveland, check it out here: http://www.westsidemarket.com/. It is something our city dearly lacks.

I'd buy the NCRR/NS block bound by 4th, 3rd, Brevard, LRT tracks, and do two highrises over retail.

The highrise fronting 3rd would have the bottom 3 flors a Saks or Bloomindales, with 15-20 floors of high-end hotel (Intercontinental or Four Seasons) topped with 15-20 floors of condos.

The high-rise facing 4th (across the street from the CTC) would have the first 3 floors occupied by Belk or Macy's, then about 20 floors of office space above that.

There would be a pedestrian alley between the two towers running from Brevard to the tracks, with a grand stone staircase leading up to the LRT concourse (and an elevator for ADA compliance ;) ) The alley would be lined with smaller shops.

I decided to approach the part of the thread question re: demolishing and rebuilding a specific lot.

Here's what I think would be interesting: Build a highrise Marriott Marquis Hotel somewhere Uptown.

Then demolish the Marriott Center City hotel on Trade near the Square. In it's place build a skinny 50 story condo/apartment tower. On the street level on Trade, the structure would include retail outlets that each open to the street. A nice convenience store, ice cream shoppe, a dry cleaner etc. etc.

Each retail outlet would sport a different exterior facade, giving the area more personality. Chairs and tables on the sidewalk in front of the ice cream shoppe.

Old time downtown strips are hard to create, without looking contrived. But if could be done, it would certainly add some character to Uptown.

If I were the city I would:

Tear down the convention center (or sell it), not build the NASCAR HOF, and sell the city land to the highest bidder. If the Cemetery is owned by the city, I would sell it. I'd also sell the public housing still uptown and disband any intervention into the housing market (price subsidies especially). I would not interfere with development.

If I were a developer I would:

Build speculative office space, apartments, condos, and have retail components on all sides of every building. With a few acres of the cemetery I'd create a park, which I would build residential and office towers around.

Tear down the convention center (or sell it), not build the NASCAR HOF, and sell the city land to the highest bidder. If the Cemetery is owned by the city, I would sell it. I'd also sell the public housing still uptown and disband any intervention into the housing market (price subsidies especially). I would not interfere with development.

You'd sell a cemetary?! For development?! Where, pray tell, would you like to put all the dead people?

Zoning is actually a good thing. Note Old Pineville Road, the road that zoning forgot. House next to a auto mechanic next to a strip club. Awesome.

Or go check out Houston where zoning is something they do while eating Doritos and staring off into space.

No thanks.

A quick word about 2nd Ward. While I find it horrible that all those folks were rather forcably removed from their homes...most of what was there was ramshackle shacks that wouldn't have lasted this long. We would, however, still have the tighter grid street formation and better use of the land.

Archived