Thoughts from a visitor

GvilleSC

I recently took a trip to West Virginia to Snowshoe for some skiing. From entering the state and receiving my first impression at the Welcome Center, to traveling through many small towns, I was most impressed with everything. Friendliness, hospitality, and the beauty of the land. It was my first time stepping foot in the state and I hope to go back soon! I'd like to visit some of the cities next time and definitely find time to visit the really big arch bridge (don't know the name or location).

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and was curious on what you all would suggest I do next time I'm up that way...

-Visitor from Greenville, South Carolina

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently took a trip to West Virginia to Snowshoe for some skiing. From entering the state and receiving my first impression at the Welcome Center, to traveling through many small towns, I was most impressed with everything. Friendliness, hospitality, and the beauty of the land. It was my first time stepping foot in the state and I hope to go back soon! I'd like to visit some of the cities next time and definitely find time to visit the really big arch bridge (don't know the name or location).

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and was curious on what you all would suggest I do next time I'm up that way...

-Visitor from Greenville, South Carolina

The large arch span is the New River Gorge Bridge on US 19 northeast of Beckley. Use the US 19 interchange north of the Beckley service area and it is about a 30 minute drive on a four-lane highway. There is a visitors center on the north side of the gorge that is very nice to see; pick up a map and see what there is to do!

Thoughts from another visitor:

I traveled to WV last January to check out WVU as a potential grad school. I drove from Arkansas by myself, and made a point to stop several times while in the state to get a feel for the place (in case I ended up living there). While I decided to stay in Arkansas for grad school (and to be close to my family), it was very difficult to not choose WVU. I thought the state was gorgeous, even in January, and everyone was incredibly friendly. WVU was very impressive. The hospitality of WV reminded me of being back in Arkansas so much that it played a big part in my deciding to stay @ home.

West Virginians are so proud of their state and its heritage, and I think that is awsome. I made sure to brush up on my WV history before going there, and the state has an amazing story. I plan to come back this summer for a visit.

So, just wanted to say thanks to WV for being so cool, and so nice to me. I think there are lots of things that Arkansas and West Virigina have in common, but that's for another thread. In closing...... Let's Go Mountianeers!*

*yes, I know everyone in WV didn't go to WVU. But, much like Arkansas is associated with the Razorbacks, I assume the same is true for WV and the Mountineers.

• 1 month later...

Archived