Belding Gets National Designation

blueradon

BELDING -- It's official: things are wild in Belding.

After three years of working through the application process, the former Silk City has been certified a Community Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation -- the first city in Michigan to receive the designation.

"It's a recognition that there's still a place for wildlife even in a suburban or urban environment," said Jen Medema, who wrote the application in 2003 as a member of the Silk City Nature Association.

more at http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/bas...?NEG&coll=6

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I too grew up here...

I was joking with my family about it...and I said, "do they mean natural wildlife habitat as the sewage plant where if the wind hits just right it stinks the whole town up like rotten eggs?"

Back in '03 I worked for the Ionia County Soil & Water Conservation District (say that 10 times fast) and this was in the talks then so you can see how long it took to get this. I believe we worked with the nature association (I didn't have any direct handling in it) to getting them prepped and offering assistance.

I'll have to get some latest pics sometime MJLO - they gave the parking lot a makeover believe it or not...as well as other new buildings popping up (with no retail in it which is hilarious)

Archived