A bustling day in Hartford

ctman987

So yesterday afternoon I decided to take a ride around the city starting on Wethersfield Ave and then heading onto Main Street. As I approached the Wadsworth there were seas of people outside the Wadsworth (and not just waiting at the bus stop). There again were tons of more people by the Old State House and G. Fox (again not just waiting for the bus). Now I soon realized there were UCONN games going on but nonetheless the city was abuzz with people.

On a Saturday afternoon every restaurant (from casual to fancy) including Agave, Trumbull Kitchen, McKinnon's, The Russell, Sweet Jane's, Woody's and City Steam were packed with people.

I finally was able to find a parking space (that was blocked off by a little yellow Hartford police department bag or in a lot that upped the price) and headed over to Woody's for a hot dog. While I was there I noticed that Woody's Fish Tank right next door to the regular Woody's had opened and was also doing great.

I soon left and that night came back with all of my family (aunts, uncles, cousins) for dinner at Joe Black's. Even after the game there were still people downtown. On Pratt Street Terra Mia, The Rusell, Sweet Janes, Vaughns and Joe Black's were packed. By the time we left Joe Black's around 10 the dinner crowd had somewhat ended but the bar in the back and the bar in the front were mobbed with people. As I walked outside Sweet Janes was playing music and the place was also packed.

On my way home I drove by Allyn Street and Union Place where places like the Brickyard, Pour House, Standing Stone, NV, Coachs, Up on the Rocks, Hot Tomatos, Bourbon Street North, and the Federal Cafe were hopping.

Also on Asylum Street Koki was packed and there were people outside waiting to get into Tempation.

Also the Trust Bar at Asylum and Trumbull looks like its coming along nicely.

Anyway I just wanted to share this great experience.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hartford does have a lot of sports fans and thanks to the fact that the civic center is in the heart of downtown people come down early to eat or stay late and have dinner downtown or go to a post game party at one of restaurants/bars/clubs...such as what Joe Black's had last night after the game.

Even when the Wolfpack are in town there is still a ton of people downtown which is very good

Now the only problem when major sporting events come to the city like a UCONN game is that the Hartford Police is out in full force...and not out in keeping people safe and providing directions but out in closing off meters and writing tickets...which is not a nice way to welcome people.

NYC, Boston, Providence etc can all handle sporting events without mass parking and street disruptions...so can hartford

Are you kidding me??

Have you ever tried to drive into the meadowlands or park around fenway near gametime? it is insane..storrow turns into a parking lot and you have to wait 20 minutes to wiggle your car into spots that are broken up into smaller ones!!!

The real problem, as I see it, is that closing off the meters and forcing everybody into the garages means that Hartford is open only for that event at that time. While it's true that other cities can absorb a game or concert, most residents would probably say "avoid MSG" or "avoid Yankee Stadium" or "avoid the area around the Fleet Center" etc. The problem is, "avoid the Civic Center" in Hartford means "avoid downtown altogether!"

I have a friend who tried to go to the Y Saturday morning and there was no place to park. Because downtown is so small, though, I'm not sure it'll be possible for game days to be business as usual for those independently visiting shops and restaurants downtown. I, for one, avoid downtown like the plague when the Huskies are playing (unless I've got tickets). Then again, I would avoid the Whitestone Bridge when the Mets are at home.

The real problem, as I see it, is that closing off the meters and forcing everybody into the garages means that Hartford is open only for that event at that time. While it's true that other cities can absorb a game or concert, most residents would probably say "avoid MSG" or "avoid Yankee Stadium" or "avoid the area around the Fleet Center" etc. The problem is, "avoid the Civic Center" in Hartford means "avoid downtown altogether!"

I have a friend who tried to go to the Y Saturday morning and there was no place to park. Because downtown is so small, though, I'm not sure it'll be possible for game days to be business as usual for those independently visiting shops and restaurants downtown. I, for one, avoid downtown like the plague when the Huskies are playing (unless I've got tickets). Then again, I would avoid the Whitestone Bridge when the Mets are at home.

Archived