The Summit at Cornerstone Progress

urbanvb

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall a rendering of that somewhere.. I will have to look around for that although it may not even result in that happening anymore or at least for right now.

In other developments, anyone have an update on the Cornerstone development?

cornerstoneplan.jpg

No, but wasn't there significant opposition to that due to the developers refusal to include affordable housing?

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to get a timeline for Block 7, but my contact over at TC that I've been dealing with isn't handling that one block of the project. The chap that he's referred me to hasn't quite been as cooperative with returning calls. But, like I said, my contact stated that the Pedestrian Bridge IS included in the plans for Block 7. I'll certainly come back to report once I talk to the right person.

Question for you guys... does anyone know with any degree of certainty if the architect who designed Granby Towers is also doing the Cornerstone Development project (where the Wedgewood Trailer Park was off of 264)? I thought that I saw their name somewhere in the mix, but also with a local (VA) architect, maybe to be the architect of record to get it through all the permitting.

Also, does anyone know what the heck is being built at the intersection of Princess Anne Rd & Salem Rd? They've started utility work and grading for SOMEthing out there, but I haven't seen anything on it.

Well Humphreys and Partners is the architect for Granby. I don't recall ever hearing a specific architect mentioned for the cornerstone development, nor do I know the current status of that project.

Well Humphreys and Partners is the architect for Granby. I don't recall ever hearing a specific architect mentioned for the cornerstone development, nor do I know the current status of that project.

I was told that nothing is happening actively with the project yet, no architect announcement is ready to be made for another 60 days or so. When I asked specifically about the two architects (Humphreys was one, Lessard the other) I was told that they have not made any concrete committments regarding the design team, but that there would be different architects on the different components of the project. I was offered an apology for the ambiguousness of the answer. :)

I was still put off a bit on the City Walk project... they're still not ready to commit publicly to the design team on this and give specific scope details. They stated that the company doing the preliminary masterplanning and sketches is not necessarily who they are going to use for the construction documents. I was told that they are still working with Office Max to determine whether they are going to be incorporated into the new project or if they will relocate. The old grocery site is not and will not be part of the City Walk project. I'm just dying to know what's going to happen with that grocery store!!

• 3 months later...

I could've sworn that I had a cornerstone/wedgewood project thread somewhere but I guess not. It's nothing big but there was and earth mover and a dump truck out on the property today dilligently clearing trees/brush. I guess you could call it site work though it's funny that we haven't heard anything recently about this project.

cool! Have you emailed the planning dept on this vdogg?

No, not at all. I don't recall seeing anything pass through recently however since they own the land already they don't have to wait for any approvals to clear it, they only need to get approval to start construction.

• 2 weeks later...

There is obviously some intense site work going on on the cornerstone lot. I'll try to get out and take pics this weekend. I'm not sure whether to make a progress thread for this yet or not because we've heard absolutely no new news about it lately.

What lot are you refering to?

• 6 months later...

Went by the Cornerstone/wedgewood/whatever the heck it is site today and it looks like they've moved beyond the land clearing phase to the actual installation of utilities. Makes me wonder why we haven't heard anything about this yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like about 6,000 to 7,000 average daily vehicle trips to me. Many residents should be workers, so the peak factor will be pretty high too. But if they built this in the southern part of the city instead, most of those workers would need to reach I-264 anyway--longer trips too. At least they will be closer to some form of transit someday.

Looks like about 6,000 to 7,000 average daily vehicle trips to me. Many residents should be workers, so the peak factor will be pretty high too. But if they built this in the southern part of the city instead, most of those workers would need to reach I-264 anyway--longer trips too. At least they will be closer to some form of transit someday.

I would have to believe that HRT will re-adjust bus routes when LRT opens. Hopefully, they run a route down PA to somewhere that goes down Bonney and over to the Newtown Road LRT stop. Interim step until LRT is extended, at least to TC - then it can just go over to the TC LRT stop.

One of the attributes of density it that it makes mass transit much more feasible. Cornerstone much more easily supports mass transit than that trailer park ever did.

• 6 months later...

It looks like they've finally started putting up structures for this project. The more I think about it the less I like it though. I love the urban design but they really should have tried to add a mix of uses though. Right now this thing is just going to be a giant traffic generator on already overburdened roads. I just can't see the benefit.

Noticed the first building was getting framed up the other day while driving by. I agree w/vdogg on the traffic issue...Dolton avenue & that section of bonney road weren't exactly made to hold such a # of persons living directly on them. The only thing I like about the development is that there is a nice view of TC from it right now.

• 1 month later...

Drove by the Cornerstone site today to check out the progress. Was about 2 months ago I had posted above that the framing up of the first building had begun, and it doesnt seem as though a whole lot of progress has occurred. The first building is still the only one out there, and it's currently getting it's exterior brick installed, 60 days after framing started, seems a little slow to me. Also, what appeared odd to me is that no other building have even slabs poured yet.

Not sure if this site is even active... Here's a couple photos that I took (not great quality since I only have a 3.2mgp camera): http://purdue.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2...amp;id=13701583 The first few are of CityView, but the last 4 are of the cornerstone site.

It's still active. I see crews out there everyday. They're just taking their sweet time. Cityview kinda started out the same way.

I'm glad they stuck with the brick. I was worried they'd pull a switcheroo on us and do vinyl siding like some of the other supposedly urban projects. From the looks of it, it may turn out looking pretty close to the rendering too.

It's interesting that looking at the development you would think it is in an urban environment but really it's not. The interstate divides it from the urban part of the area but all around it is purely suburban in nature. That being said, I do appreciate it's urban appeal.

All around it is densely packed townhomes & duplex's, it's really neat to look toward TC from that site since, as you said, it appears as though you're right in the urban mix, when in fact, you're rather the opposite.

I'm also glad they stuck with brick, it gets old looking at the same old vinyl sea that fills most of tidewater...

Archived