Charlotte's Mayoral Future

voyager12

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why are primaries for political parties held in this manner anyway? For one since Independents can vote in Republican primaries couldn't Democrats change affliation and direct Republican candidates if properly organized?? that would make for an interesting campaign, make them run their worst candidate...

Of elections, I'm not surprised that these have low turnouts. People don't pay much attention anyway. I don't see why the city spends $400,000 to help a private party decide who should run for office. Let the parties take care of this or at least pay for it.

^It gives people a chance to voice their opinion if there are many candidates. Other places do it differently. For exmaple, in Louisiana, they use the runoff system, where anyone who wants to run gets their name in the hat on election day, then you take the top guys and have one (or more) run off elections. Another example is in SC you don't register by party so you can vote in which ever primary you want (its like everyone is an independant).

Technically political parties dont have to do primaries, they can just nominate whoever they want- but changing the system would shine a bad light on a party that decided to do that.

You can argue that in theory someone could change parties and affect the vote, but thats highly unlikely. If its ever happened then its very rare.

I tend to let my emotions cloud what should be detached political analysis. It's true that McCrory has to play to his base and gay concerns in this town are so niche and completely off radar to the majority of Charlotteans that he loses absolutely nothing by consistently ignoring us. That's politics for you. From a Democratic perspective it would have been helpful if Gjertsen had won primary. He is further to the right than McCrory and would have made Earle seem more appealing to centrist or moderate Republicans. As it stands now Earle's chances are clearly quite bleak.

While this thread is focused on Charlotte's future governance I think discussing the past may help put things in context. I for one don't know too much about the history. Am I correct that Harvey Gantt was the last and only Democratic Mayor? Was his tenure considered a success or did he lose reelection? How was Sue Myrick regarded? How was McCrory recruited to run? Was he involved in politics before? Finally, it's interesting that McCrory and Earle both support the transit tax. Perhaps this will split more of the vote that would automatically go to McCrory.

While this thread is focused on Charlotte's future governance I think discussing the past may help put things in context. I for one don't know too much about the history. Am I correct that Harvey Gantt was the last and only Democratic Mayor? Was his tenure considered a success or did he lose reelection?

Actually, Gantt ran against Jesse Helms twice for the US Senate. He lost both times, though it was fairly close. He was pretty popular as a mayor. I doubt he was the only Democrat ever elected. Like most Southern areas, Charlotte and NC was heavily democratic up until the civil rights era. I'm sure during those early days most of the mayors of Charlotte were Democratic, as were our Senators and Reps. It wasn't until the civil rights backlash against the Democrats in the southern states that the South, as an area, went heavily Republican.

Wikipedia had this for 20th and 21st century Charlotte Mayors (not sure why only some of them have party affiliation listed):

J.D. McCall (1899-1901)

Peter Marshall Brown (1901-1905)

S.S. McNinch (1905-1907)

T.S. Franklin (1907-1909)

T.W. Hawkins (1909-1911)

Charles A. Bland (1911-1915)

T.L. Kirkpatrick (1915-1917)

F.R. McNinch (1917-1920)

John M. Wilson (1920-1921)

James O. Walker (1921-1924)

Harvey W. Moore (1924-1926)

David M. Abernathy (1926-1927)

F. Marion Redd (1927-1929)

George E. Wilson, Jr. (1929-1931)

Charles E. Lambeth (1931-1933)

Arthur E. Wearn (1933-1935)

Ben Elbert Douglas, Sr. (1935-1941) (Democrat)

E. McA. Currie (1941-1943)

H.H. Baxter (1943-1949)

Victor Shaw (1949-1953)

Philip Van Every (1953-1957)

James Saxon Smith (1957-1961)

Stanford R. Brookshire (1961-1969)

John M. Belk (1969-1977) (Democrat)

Kenneth R. Harris (1977-1979) (Republican)

H. Edward Knox (1979-1983) (Democrat)

Harvey Gantt (1983-1987) (Democrat)

Sue Myrick (1987-1991) (Republican)

Richard Vinroot (1991-1995) (Republican)

Patrick McCrory (1995-current) (Republican)

Don't forget that the definition of being a Democrat vs. being a Republican has changed over the last century. Also, some of these Mayors were appointed due to resignations or openings.

Actually, Gantt ran against Jesse Helms twice for the US Senate. He lost both times, though it was fairly close. He was pretty popular as a mayor. I doubt he was the only Democrat ever elected. Like most Southern areas, Charlotte and NC was heavily democratic up until the civil rights era. I'm sure during those early days most of the mayors of Charlotte were Democratic, as were our Senators and Reps. It wasn't until the civil rights backlash against the Democrats in the southern states that the South, as an area, went heavily Republican.

Archived