Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arkansas Student

Municipal Wireless

9 posts in this topic

I'm interested in the topic of municipalities providing wireless service, both as a way to increase the quality of life and attract business entities. There is a site, MuniWirless that has a fair bit of information about projects going on around the country.

What do you think? Yay or nay? Should some places in Arkansas be pursuing this? I personally think it would be awsome, albeit with some "complications" to implement.

I'm interested in the topic of municipalities providing wireless service, both as a way to increase the quality of life and attract business entities. There is a site, MuniWirless that has a fair bit of information about projects going on around the country.

What do you think? Yay or nay? Should some places in Arkansas be pursuing this? I personally think it would be awsome, albeit with some "complications" to implement.

It's an interesting idea. But I'm not sure if any Arkansas communities are looking to do this yet. I can't be sure but I think I may have heard Fayetteville possibly looking into something like this. Not sure if it's just rumors or at some very early stage. I wonder if at least some of central Arkansas could be looking into this.

I heard too that Fayetteville was interested in this.

Bentonville is going to be developing a wireless network in a couple years but not for commerical or citizen use.

Bentonville is going to be developing a wireless network in a couple years but not for commerical or citizen use.

I think there's a few cities that have already instituted wireless like this.

Philadelphia is trying to--if they haven't already http://www.wirelessphiladelphia.org/

I think it would good for more dense cities with college/professional populations: Fayetteville and Little Rock for sure.

One the big things will be to provide live connections to emergency reponse and to allow workers in the field access to documents and a GIS. I sure plenty more applications will build on top of that though.

I posted this in the Community Development thread I started in the main Arkansas forum, but I was simply outraged to find that Arkansas has passed a law (HB 2817) preventing municipalities from providing exchange services, and in turn municipal broadband. 11 other states, including Pennsylvania as the most notable example, have similar laws. In PA, Verizon manged to push through a law, against public opinion, that would only allow Philadelphia to develop a wireless network (someone mentioned this earlier).

Take a look at this if you want a little more background on the subject.

I cannot believe the AR leg would let something like this through, though after reading through the bill, and considering this way in 2003, I imagine they had no idea that wireless equipment and/or fiber optic cable would be as affordable as it is today, if they even gave that a thought.