Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mith242

Arkansas Trivia

26 posts in this topic

I borrowed this idea from my buddies to the south in the Louisiana forum. I thought I might try this out since we've actually had a little more activity over here. To start things off......

What is Arkansas' first county and the harder part, what year was it established?

I borrowed this idea from my buddies to the south in the Louisiana forum. I thought I might try this out since we've actually had a little more activity over here. To start things off......

What is Arkansas' first county and the harder part, what year was it established?

The first survery mark of the Louisiana purchase is in Brinkley.

Arkansas' first county was, fittingly, Arkansas county. It was established December 13, 1813 (source: AR Secretary of State website)

Yeah guess I should have known it wouldn't be too hard to look up on the internet. Yeah it was established when we were still a part of the Missouri Territory.

The first survery mark of the Louisiana purchase is in Brinkley.

It wasn't that easy to find. I had to do some digging, but there's a list of every county's date of establishment on there. Apparently, according to Arkansas code, When the state & county flags are flown next to each other the county flags should be placed in order of the county's creation. Do counties have flags?

I think some cities might have flags but I don't think I've ever heard of any counties having their own flags.

Okay how about another question. Can anyone name all the capitols Arkansas has had?

With an "o" or with an "a"?

Capital cities I thought it was just two, Arkansas Post and Little Rock.

Capitol buildings - there's the current building and the Old Statehouse from the days of statehood. Was there another before that during the territorial days?

Here's another piece of trivia for you: Did you know that at the time of the Civil War Arkansas had a larger population than Texas?

Washington, AR was the Confederate Capital of Arkansas during the Civil War. The Hinderliter Grog Shop at the Territorial Restoration in Little Rock is thought to be the meeting place of the last Territorial Legislature.

Washington served as the capital of Arkansas after Little Rock fell in the fall of 1863. The government met in the Hempstead County Courthouse.

Another tidbit about the town is that the Bowie Knife was invented there.

I believe Mith pointed out that Fayetteville's original name was Washington, but changed its name because the current Washington already had the name.

With an "o" or with an "a"?

Capital cities I thought it was just two, Arkansas Post and Little Rock.

Capitol buildings - there's the current building and the Old Statehouse from the days of statehood. Was there another before that during the territorial days?

Here's another piece of trivia for you: Did you know that at the time of the Civil War Arkansas had a larger population than Texas?

You know I found out that this is totally accepted. Apparently Texas doesn't teach that in their history classes at school. So I'm not sure if the Bowie knife's original being in Arkansas is only recognized here in the state or if that's just some Texas thing.

At the time they were called "Arkansas toothpicks", Bowie knife came later.

There's a huge collection at the Historic Arkansas Museum in Little Rock.

I think the way Texans see it, Bowie came up with the idea himself and the first one was actually made over in towards Memphis or Mississippi or something like that.

Yeah but I'm still wondering if this is generally accepted or if this is Arkansas' interpretation. I've gotten the impression many Texans don't know 'version' of the Bowie knife. I've talked to several Texans and they acted really surprised when I mentioned some of what you just posted. It's not to say they disbelieve it, but it sounds like they learn something else in their history classes growing up.

Yeah but I'm still wondering if this is generally accepted or if this is Arkansas' interpretation. I've gotten the impression many Texans don't know 'version' of the Bowie knife. I've talked to several Texans and they acted really surprised when I mentioned some of what you just posted. It's not to say they disbelieve it, but it sounds like they learn something else in their history classes growing up.

I also read that Fayetteville got its name from Fayetteville, TN where apparently some early Washington Co settlers moved from. Never heard of that town.

There is also a Fayetteville in Georgia and Alabama. Very small places.... wide spots in the road, really.

I would imagine any town named Fayetteville comes from the original reference to Lafayette during the Revolutionary War.... repaying a debt of gratitude, sort of.

There is also a Fayetteville in Georgia and Alabama. Very small places.... wide spots in the road, really.

I would imagine any town named Fayetteville comes from the original reference to Lafayette during the Revolutionary War.... repaying a debt of gratitude, sort of.

Okay, on to the original intent of this post: Arkansas Trivia.

The largest diamond every discover @ the Crater of Diamonds State Park (and I think the largest in the US) was named what?

BONUS: how many carats?

Okay, on to the original intent of this post: Arkansas Trivia.

The largest diamond every discover @ the Crater of Diamonds State Park (and I think the largest in the US) was named what?

BONUS: how many carats?

For whom is Benton, Benton County, and Bentonville all named in honor of and why?

For whom is Benton, Benton County, and Bentonville all named in honor of and why?