Arkansas Trivia

Mith242

I borrowed this idea from my buddies to the south in the Louisiana forum. I thought I might try this out since we've actually had a little more activity over here. To start things off......

What is Arkansas' first county and the harder part, what year was it established?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wasn't that easy to find. I had to do some digging, but there's a list of every county's date of establishment on there. Apparently, according to Arkansas code, When the state & county flags are flown next to each other the county flags should be placed in order of the county's creation. Do counties have flags?

With an "o" or with an "a"?

Capital cities I thought it was just two, Arkansas Post and Little Rock.

Capitol buildings - there's the current building and the Old Statehouse from the days of statehood. Was there another before that during the territorial days?

Here's another piece of trivia for you: Did you know that at the time of the Civil War Arkansas had a larger population than Texas?

Washington served as the capital of Arkansas after Little Rock fell in the fall of 1863. The government met in the Hempstead County Courthouse.

Another tidbit about the town is that the Bowie Knife was invented there.

I believe Mith pointed out that Fayetteville's original name was Washington, but changed its name because the current Washington already had the name.

With an "o" or with an "a"?

Capital cities I thought it was just two, Arkansas Post and Little Rock.

Capitol buildings - there's the current building and the Old Statehouse from the days of statehood. Was there another before that during the territorial days?

Here's another piece of trivia for you: Did you know that at the time of the Civil War Arkansas had a larger population than Texas?

Yeah but I'm still wondering if this is generally accepted or if this is Arkansas' interpretation. I've gotten the impression many Texans don't know 'version' of the Bowie knife. I've talked to several Texans and they acted really surprised when I mentioned some of what you just posted. It's not to say they disbelieve it, but it sounds like they learn something else in their history classes growing up.

Yeah but I'm still wondering if this is generally accepted or if this is Arkansas' interpretation. I've gotten the impression many Texans don't know 'version' of the Bowie knife. I've talked to several Texans and they acted really surprised when I mentioned some of what you just posted. It's not to say they disbelieve it, but it sounds like they learn something else in their history classes growing up.

There is also a Fayetteville in Georgia and Alabama. Very small places.... wide spots in the road, really.

I would imagine any town named Fayetteville comes from the original reference to Lafayette during the Revolutionary War.... repaying a debt of gratitude, sort of.

Archived