Should CT have Tolls?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should CT have tolls?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I travel from Maine to Washinton DC, I already have to pay enough tolls. There are tolls on the Maine, New Hampshire and Mass turnpikes. Then I need to pay tolls on the New York bridges, Jersey turnpike, Delaware Memorial bridge, Maryland turnpike and Baltimore tunnels. Enough is enough. I don't need another state taking my money.

When I travel from Maine to Washinton DC, I already have to pay enough tolls. There are tolls on the Maine, New Hampshire and Mass turnpikes. Then I need to pay tolls on the New York bridges, Jersey turnpike, Delaware Memorial bridge, Maryland turnpike and Baltimore tunnels. Enough is enough. I don't need another state taking my money.

Thousands of motor vehicles traveling between Boston and New York are passing through Connecticut (which there is no practical way to avoid) at any one time. Thousands more whose destinations range from Florida to Maine travel through Connecticut as well.

We wouldn't want to disappoint them, would we?

Connecticut might be able to do without the tolls if it is OK for the residents and businesses to pay a little more in taxes.

Thousands of motor vehicles traveling between Boston and New York are passing through Connecticut (which there is no practical way to avoid) at any one time. Thousands more whose destinations range from Florida to Maine travel through Connecticut as well.

We wouldn't want to disappoint them, would we?

Connecticut might be able to do without the tolls if it is OK for the residents and businesses to pay a little more in taxes.

disappoint the people traveling between states? you're joking, right? they're traveling through CT free of charge, adding wear and tear on CT's roads. that's a lot of money the state of CT could put in its pockets if tolls came back. and that's a decent savings in taxes as well (it could go towards lowering the gas tax too).

The way I see it, if you put in tolls, especially on 95, then they better increase service somehow on the metro north and shoreline east trains to capture those who don't want to deal with the increased congestion and cost of using 95. You can't worsen the efficiency of one mode without increasing the efficiency of another, IMO.

I would put tolls entering the state on both ends of I-84 and I-95 and possibly I-395. You would be able to travel inside the state without being tolled. You would also be able to exit the state without being tolled.

I wouldn't bother putting a toll on I-91. I think we can work with Springfield on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived