Greenville, SC Aerials

gs3

I know there are several of you guys that like me, travel with your jobs. I rarely take my camera, but had it with me yesterday and snapped this of the I-385/I-185 interchange. Thought it would be cool to start a thread of photos taken from the air. The angle of the GSP runway, allows for some awesome shots of downtown when landing from the west (if you're on the left side of the plane). Anway, we can add photos to this overtime. Always shocks me when I fly in and look at all the development, how anyone can think this is a small city.... :D

CIMG4505.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice idea for a topic, gsupstate! I'll contribute wherever I can, but for now, I've only got aerials of Colorado Springs, Atlanta, and some blurry night shots of Greenville that don't look like anything recognizable.

Cool aerials of the Target on Wade Hampton and the surrounding area, btoy!

I usually would take pictures, but I usually just pass out right when I hit that seat. Delta is pretty straightforward with their takeoff's, both to Cincinnatti, and to Atlanta. NWA on the other hand usually makes hard either 90 or 180 degree banks, same with US Airways leaving GSP. I can't even begin to fathom why I know this, but coming into Greenville from Atlanta, sometimes they vector in right over Donaldson, following Augusta Rd to 29 to GSP, so it does leave a beautiful shot of Greenville...I might have to ask a friend who is the traffic pilot in Greenville if I can come up one afternoon and snap a few pics.

Here are some aerials of most of the schools in Greenville County being built or renovated: http://www.institutionalresources.com/aerials.htm

It's interesting to see how many schools are being built or under renovation. All that red clay! I hope the county plans on some heavy landscaping for these institutions, as that adds alot, IMHO, to the learning experience.

My elementary school in Birmingham had the largest Ginkgo tree in Alabama. It was on one side of the school close to the building. I remember there were always science classes being held under that tree.....as kids, the shape of the leaf, the brilliant color change, and also the fact of having one of your classes outside just added so much to the learning. I can remember vividly exact things the teacher said and I remember the learning process in these classes, all because it was in a great environment. I went home to see my family years later after I had moved to Dallas, and was horrified. The city school board had decided to expand my elementary school, and instead of being creative and building around this tree, they simply cut it down and built the addition in it's place. How's that for teaching kids something? To this day, that bothers me. People have to learn to value the land and vegetation in both urban and suburban settings. This value needs to be taught to children....it betters our lives.

Forgive the memory lane rant, but seeing these school construction photos reminded me.

Trees and landscaping will make the schools much more attractive and add learning value for our children. Hope the school board has budgeted for landscaping.

Speaking of landscaping, about 2 years ago, the county council had a session on how much to spend on landscaping I-385, and I specifically remember Scott Case saying something along the lines of "why spend the money?" For me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you live in his district, please, next election: Regime Change!

It troubles me greatly that no one in council is interested it seems in preserving the great trees that we have in Greenville. Ah, but alas, as of next Monday I will again be a resident of the city of Greenville!!!! Population approx.56,000 + 1

Speaking of landscaping, about 2 years ago, the county council had a session on how much to spend on landscaping I-385, and I specifically remember Scott Case saying something along the lines of "why spend the money?" For me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If you live in his district, please, next election: Regime Change!

It troubles me greatly that no one in council is interested it seems in preserving the great trees that we have in Greenville. Ah, but alas, as of next Monday I will again be a resident of the city of Greenville!!!! Population approx.56,000 + 1

Scott Case is going to be extremely hard to beat. It was not long ago that Hayne Hipp ran against him, using the tree ordinance as a major issue, and was beat pretty easily.

I can understand, why he would say "why spend the money?" Are trees really the most important issue? or is the council being a better steward of the money spending it on other more pressing needs?

I can understand, why he would say "why spend the money?" Are trees really the most important issue? or is the council being a better steward of the money spending it on other more pressing needs?

Government should be a good steward of both our money AND our land. So yes, trees are an important issue.

I was very much aware of Hipp's campaign, as he was my landlord at the time. To me it just seems that really the people of Dist. 20 have dug their heels in, and do not want change. The only other option if the people do not want change, is to change all around them, and when they want the nice projects and nice things that the rest of the county gets, but their hero voted the nice things down, tell them their votes speak louder than words.

I realize that is the immature way of doing things, but if Case and the other extremists have their way, there would be almost no taxation, the police, fire, and EMS would barely have a living wage, and we would have WalMart's every other mile. I can't stand behind this.

I looked at this picture for a good 5 minutes and I still can't figure it out. I live off Exit 30 on 385, which is right at the 385/Connector interchange. Which road is which, and which way is north?

Judging by how I-385 suddenly bends to the right (while driving North) right at this interchange, I'd say that North is to the Left on this photo and south is to the Right.

I looked at this picture for a good 5 minutes and I still can't figure it out. I live off Exit 30 on 385, which is right at the 385/Connector interchange. Which road is which, and which way is north?

I've looked at it for a while, too, and figured out that it's NOT I-85/I-385. It's I-385/Southern Connector/276.

That's I-385 coming from downtown on the left and heading off to Columbia in the upper right. The road going off to the right is the Southern Connector. And the road going to the bottom left is 276 heading into Greenville.

That was kind of fun. Maybe we should post pictures and play "Name That Anonymous Intersection."

I've looked at it for a while, too, and figured out that it's NOT I-85/I-385. It's I-385/Southern Connector/276.

That's I-385 coming from downtown on the left and heading off to Columbia in the upper right. The road going off to the right is the Southern Connector. And the road going to the bottom left is 276 heading into Greenville.

That was kind of fun. Maybe we should post pictures and play "Name That Anonymous Intersection."

There may be some confusion here.

The photo was never said to be the interchange of I-85/I-385. What gsupstate said was:

I know there are several of you guys that like me, travel with your jobs. I rarely take my camera, but had it with me yesterday and snapped this of the I-385/I-185 interchange...

Of course, the Southern Connector is also known as I-185.

I hope that straightened this up. If not, just whack me over the head with something made of cast iron. :thumbsup:

No need to be polite and call it "confusion." It was just a case of me being stupid or illiterate or both.

I made the same mistake at first, but then I re-read it and realized he said "I-185" instead of "I-85." I can't tell you how long I stared that that photo trying to find the Shops at Greenridge and the Point. :blink:

Bingo! You win!

Archived