Georgia Downtowns

jungletobacco

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for Augusta, there are plans for 2, 10 floor condo towers on the riverfront Downtown. There are also plans for a new Judicial Building, 100,000 sq. ft. library, and courthouse. Judicial Building was originally supposed to be 20 floors but will probably be less. Talks of a new hotel around the Golf Hall of Fame but nothing definite.

The of course there are the plans for developing the Augusta Canal which will include residential, retail, and who knows what else when it comes to fruition.

As of right now I dont think any dirt is actually turning DT, save renovation projects and projects (University Hospital Expansion and New Rehab Hospital) in the Medical District.

We'll Macon has lot going on downtown.....

Upscaled high rise Condo starting around 200,000 to $350,000 range per unit

One development proposal is from Greg Popham, who wants to build a 40-unit, high-rise building,

The other proposal is from developers Clay Murphey and Jeff Jones, who plan to build a 10-story building with 32 units

Development of the new 4 star conventional center hotel downtown-its'either going tp be a Hilton, Sheraton or Marriot developer say..

Renovations to old termal station and a transportation hub for the city which will house the Macon city transit authority, Greyhound, the future Atlanta to Macon Rail stations and more...

A huge State of the Art, Harrit Tubman museum in the museum district..

An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims

project along with Riverside, the city's first true mixed-use development downtown.(hotel/condo/Office complex)

Georgia College and State University's new graduate center will be in downtown Macon

I-16 is to be widened to 12 or 14 lanes through downtown

I-75 is to be widened to 8 lanes through the city

Mayor Ellis wants to extend the "South Downtown Connector" that would run Little Richard Penniman Blvd. from Mercer University all the way to MLK Jr. Blvd

Tattnall Place, a new collection of mixed-income townhouses in downtown Macon's historic district, have replaced the old Oglethorpe Homes public housing complex

Georgia Heart Center currently under constructions a 9-10 story mid rise extention to Medical center

Warner Robins/ Centerville has proposed a huge project to create a whole downtown area.....since they don't one....

We'll Macon has lot going on downtown.....

Upscaled high rise Condo starting around 200,000 to $350,000 range per unit

One development proposal is from Greg Popham, who wants to build a 40-unit, high-rise building,

The other proposal is from developers Clay Murphey and Jeff Jones, who plan to build a 10-story building with 32 units

Development of the new 4 star conventional center hotel downtown-its'either going tp be a Hilton, Sheraton or Marriot developer say..

Renovations to old termal station and a transportation hub for the city which will house the Macon city transit authority, Greyhound, the future Atlanta to Macon Rail stations and more...

A huge State of the Art, Harrit Tubman museum in the museum district..

An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims

project along with Riverside, the city's first true mixed-use development downtown.(hotel/condo/Office complex)

Georgia College and State University's new graduate center will be in downtown Macon

I-16 is to be widened to 12 or 14 lanes through downtown

I-75 is to be widened to 8 lanes through the city

Mayor Ellis wants to extend the "South Downtown Connector" that would run Little Richard Penniman Blvd. from Mercer University all the way to MLK Jr. Blvd

Tattnall Place, a new collection of mixed-income townhouses in downtown Macon's historic district, have replaced the old Oglethorpe Homes public housing complex

Georgia Heart Center currently under constructions a 9-10 story mid rise extention to Medical center

Warner Robins/ Centerville has proposed a huge project to create a whole downtown area.....since they don't one....

• 3 weeks later...
Well for Augusta, there are plans for 2, 10 floor condo towers on the riverfront Downtown. There are also plans for a new Judicial Building, 100,000 sq. ft. library, and courthouse. Judicial Building was originally supposed to be 20 floors but will probably be less. Talks of a new hotel around the Golf Hall of Fame but nothing definite.

The of course there are the plans for developing the Augusta Canal which will include residential, retail, and who knows what else when it comes to fruition.

As of right now I dont think any dirt is actually turning DT, save renovation projects and projects (University Hospital Expansion and New Rehab Hospital) in the Medical District.

Tourists dont buy gas? They don't shop in your stores? They don't eat in your restaurants? They don't stay in your hotels? Most cities have a hospitality tax of some kind that targets tourists. Downtown condo's benefit the community by getting more residents living there. That in turn makes it a safer place to live and visit (thus bringing more tourists). I think you need to take a look at what other cities are going to promote the very things that you are slamming here. There are cities that are arguably further along in their downtown redevelopment that still dont have that national brand downtown. Perhaps there are some things that shouldn't get public money -or not as much of it- thats fine, but tourism is a huge cash cow because they come in for a few days, spend money, then leave! They are not typically too much for police, etc, to handle and I can't imagine the golf crowd is all that rowdy.

Because most of Augusta has absolutely nothing to do with condos and golf, period. Condos are out of the price range for most Augustans, and there's more interest in hockey in Augusta than golf (golf is promoted for visitors, but residents leave town when it comes to avoid the upsales in food [even in grocery stores], and traffic. So much so, kids even get off of school!).

The "benefits" are earmarked for visitors with residents footing the bill. This is a problem between Columbia and Richmond counties, because the development is being aimed at those visitors who do not pay the taxes to maintain the roads; the police; the fire departments; lights; and whatever services required by a city to administrate it properly. In other words: they're carpetbaggers. They come to work in Richmond County, go home to Columbia county, but demand the tab for services to be on Richmond county residents (far much poorer than them) for their "pleasure". This is evident with ol' Billy "offering" building a horse arena (now that would be sooooo nice to someone wanting a mud racetrack) on our tax dollars, too.

Again all development that only benefits the 10% of the population.

Folks wonder why downtown Augusta is the way it is, is because the population that will use downtown is excluded out of the development plans. It's for that 10% socioeconomic group, that doesn't even live in the area (and pays those critical taxes).

Augusta needs more tax revenue, not turn as a tax haven for Columbia county residents who think they're helping by paying state taxes (and maybe 2 cents local sales tax). To do this is to have venues 100% of the local population can and will use. Condos have nothing to do with those living on Turpin Hill or off Sand Bar Ferry. Golf has nothing to do with folks living off of Ellis Street -- Masters is only one week a year and for those with $$$$$ to spend.

We need day-to-day venues that the rich and poor, Black and White, Dem and Republican can partake in. A good example is having some national eatery and shops downtown (that's not messed up with out local politics and junk) that's reasonably priced - slightly higher than Wal-Mart, and on par with Sears and JC Penny for shops; and food at the price slightly less than the restuaraunts out on Wheeler Rd (main fare under $10).

What hurt downtown was indeed the malls, but what destroyed it was when Sears and JC Penny moved out. JC Penny and Sky City were smack down on Broad Street, and Sears off 15th. Need a major anchor store in downtown. Then the rest of the mom and pops can develop around it, like it's normally done.

Museums and condos come later, when downtown can actually support it.

More residents = more business. That much is a fact. Also, if you follow the growth patterns of American cities, you will see that people with money are typically first to invest in an area (whether its redevelopment or new development). Then after that, the middle class moves in, then after that the poor. Look at any city and you will see that the first things that are built are typically high-end condos. I agree that in the end, you need more diverse housing options. In fact, I recently said the same thing in the Columbia forum. But while I can't afford to go and live downtown, I know that ultimately having more condo's downtown means that more permanent residents who have a vested interest in seeing the area improve. Ultimately the entrie city benefits because downtown is a stronger place, which in turn makes Augusta a better place to live (for everyone!). People like their towns, and they want a place they can be proud of.

The main part of downtown (along Broad Street) isn't really for residents. Residents live down Green Street, and homes there are single family and old (the old city is historical). Putting up modern housing in a historical district is an eye sore, and doesn't fit at all. It's like putting up a 5 story housing unit in Summerville - riot time!

The main part of downtown (along Broad Street) isn't really for residents. Residents live down Green Street, and homes there are single family and old (the old city is historical). Putting up modern housing in a historical district is an eye sore, and doesn't fit at all. It's like putting up a 5 story housing unit in Summerville - riot time!

In Columbus, the DT condo situation is a combination of the new and the old. In DT Columbus, the Eagle& Phenix Condo is taking shape in a 100-year old cotton mill along the river. In DT PC, across the river and a block or two north, the new 10-story Phenixian is planned. Nice juxtaposition.

Returning DT to vibrancy is important -- but what comes first, the residents or the retail? Residents want retail before moving in and retail wants residents before setting up shop. What may work best is the plan that Columbus has implemented. Get a group of "captive" residents in place (students in dorms) who will support a certain segment of retail (clubs, bars, coffee shops, etc). That leads to a more artsy, interesting DT which leads to lofts which leads to more residents which leads to more retail. Not a sure fire solution and can be long and drawn out -- but it seems to be working in DT Columbus. Tho I suspect that it will be 5-10 years before DT Columbus really starts to come back into its own -- after whitewater (What is happening with that?) and (hopefully) new convention hotel(s) are built to complement/compete with teh Marriott.

In Columbus, the DT condo situation is a combination of the new and the old. In DT Columbus, the Eagle & Phenix Condo is taking shape in a 100-year old cotton mill along the river. In DT PC, across the river and a block or two north, the new 10-story Phenixian is planned. Nice juxtaposition.

Returning DT to vibrancy is important -- but what comes first, the residents or the retail? Residents want retail before moving in and retail wants residents before setting up shop. What may work best is the plan that Columbus has implemented. Get a group of "captive" residents in place (students in dorms) who will support a certain segment of retail (clubs, bars, coffee shops, etc). That leads to a more artsy, interesting DT which leads to lofts which leads to more residents which leads to more retail. Not a sure fire solution and can be long and drawn out -- but it seems to be working in DT Columbus. Tho I suspect that it will be 5-10 years before DT Columbus really starts to come back into its own -- after whitewater (What is happening with that?) and (hopefully) new convention hotel(s) are built to complement/compete with the Marriott.

^ Glad to see Columbus moving forward with its downtown.

As far as Augusta, I think Broad Street in Old Towne should be preserved at all costs (as well as Greene). Reynolds, at least the lot beside the Episcopal church is a good area for the new condos. Personally, I know this won't be popular, but I'd like to see everything on Broad Street between 5th Street and Monument Street razed.

• 1 month later...

I've been really impressed with Georgia's smaller cities and towns. Y'all are fortunate that the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation is so strong and engaged, and that you have a good state Main Street program. I wish we could say as much in Alabama.

Archived