Indoor Waterpark Resort Downtown

GRDadof3

^^ I agree. With or without the 16 story tower, a freshening up of the Days Inn building would do a ton of good for that area of town. I would like to see a reskin consisting of maybe a faux stone foundation look on the first three floors and red bricks up the body of the building with a sand colored stucco at the top floor and crown molding of the same material aound the perapets. I think its time for Sketchup.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, I was just thinking tamias6 that this would make a great place for an indoor waterpark resort. That parking lot is big enough that you could add about 40,000 square feet of indoor resort space. And it would be a boon for the museum across the street and the Ford Museum, sold as package deals. Weekend at the waterpark, hit the museum, ride the carousel, see a planetarium show, teach the kids some history about President Ford. Close to the highway for an easy getaway back to the burbs. ;)

This waterpark is about 38,000 square feet:

http://www.castawaybay.com/public/waterpark/images/map.jpg

It would make it the largest waterpark in the metro area.

Double JJ's is about 60,000:

http://www.doublejj.com/gfx/dry-play-wall-lg.jpg

Here's my rough interpretation:

%7Boption%7D

Water Park Hotel:

I think it's a valid idea and may work. The water slide in the YMCA is always packed.

While it could certainly get out of town guests, I am sure it would bring suburbanites into the downtown for a long weekend. If they are downtown, they spend money...just like the scenarios GRDad spoke of.

It would be crucial to still make the hotel attractive for non-water park people too.

Remember the old hotel on 28th street that was recently torn down??? It had a covered pool...

As a kid, my parents would take us there once or twice a year to go swimming. They would rent a room and it felt like we were on vacation, even though we were only 5 miles from our house. For families with several small kids this could be great fun.

Thank you Veloise. You all without children would be amazed at how people with children are starving for entertainment in this town. ChuckECheese and the treehouse at Rivertown Crossings just does not cut it. Families travel to Traverse City in droves to go to Great Wolf Lodge, and it costs upwards of $250 - $300/night. The last time I checked, there was a waiting list to get a weekend night stay at the hotel on 131 near the South Belt that has a SMALL indoor waterslide.

I bring this idea up about once a year, and it's funny the responses to it.

^BINGO! Why does downtown have to be adult? Like I griped about before -- Mr. Faust's ideas/concepts (however controversial) make tons of sense for the downtown area. A family friendly experience, who would have thought? When I was downtown I couldn't help, but point out how the image is 'adult.'

I've thought the same thing myself GRDad. Waterparks like Great Wolf Lodge are destination locations that bring people from far and wide. Milwaukee has the first Urban Waterpark:

http://www.paradiselanding.com

Here are a few statements from a hotel / waterpark consultant:

Urban centers nationwide will attract large hotel waterpark resorts as part of convention centers. Starting with cold weather markets across the top tier of the USA, cities and downtown convention hotels will investigate the impact of indoor waterparks on reviving downtowns. Urban entertainment centers will become more popular.

Hotels with indoor waterparks will continue to extend peak seasons from 100 days to 365 days. Seasonal properties will find it increasingly difficult to open for three months and pay expenses for twelve months.

Hotels with indoor waterparks will fill rooms almost 100% every weekend and school break all year long. For hotels that typically go empty on weekends, the indoor waterpark is the best thing to come along since sliced bread. In some cases, indoor waterparks will add up to 26 points of occupancy.

Level this building, and build a new water park-hotel. Sounds good to me. The Great Wolf Lodge in TC is by my cousins house, and everytime i go to visit her, that pace is packed when i go by it.

Downtown shouldnt be all bars and clubs, there should be some family entertainment, something fun, but not chessy and themed on the outside.

First of all I am talking about a water park here and not rocket science.

I think this town will suport anything family related.

If I was a smart and prudent invester I would prefer to let you read about it in Knapps

blog rather than divulge my scemes.

I wonder how the new water park at Boyne Mountain is doing. Indoor water parks (or any water park) aren't my cup of tea, but if it'll work then do it! There is a bit of competition around but this seems to be a new trend and I'm not sure where the saturation point is. Being right in Grand Rapids could be a competitive advantage as the alternatives require quite a bit of driving which cuts into the weekend if that's all you're going for.

I can tell you that I am going to the Great Wolf Lodge in February with my kids. 2 nights at $250 a night for the hotel, plus shopping and dinners in Traverse. That is well over $1000 into the coffers of TC businesses for a short trip with the family.

Now imagine if GR had something like this with our museums, parks, concerts, skating rinks, etc. I'm sure it would draw from a large area and push significant dollars into the local economy.

And as far as the success of indoor waterparks, this will be my second trip in three years, and both times we have had to book a different time because the rooms were full. That isn't easy to scoff at.

I also agree, it doesn't need to look themed and tacky. I'm sure someone could come up with some awesome designs.

This would also be a great idea for the Area 4 parking lot...

Joe

I wonder how the new water park at Boyne Mountain is doing. Indoor water parks (or any water park) aren't my cup of tea, but if it'll work then do it! There is a bit of competition around but this seems to be a new trend and I'm not sure where the saturation point is. Being right in Grand Rapids could be a competitive advantage as the alternatives require quite a bit of driving which cuts into the weekend if that's all you're going for.

I can tell you that I am going to the Great Wolf Lodge in February with my kids. 2 nights at $250 a night for the hotel, plus shopping and dinners in Traverse. That is well over $1000 into the coffers of TC businesses for a short trip with the family.

Now imagine if GR had something like this with our museums, parks, concerts, skating rinks, etc. I'm sure it would draw from a large area and push significant dollars into the local economy.

And as far as the success of indoor waterparks, this will be my second trip in three years, and both times we have had to book a different time because the rooms were full. That isn't easy to scoff at.

I also agree, it doesn't need to look themed and tacky. I'm sure someone could come up with some awesome designs.

Joe

No, actually its the architecture. The styling is like almost any mass produced McHotel that pop up within a couple miles of airports all over the country. The facade lacks the depth (relief) that gives so much character to the old buildings sround town that everyone loves.

I'd rotate you new tower 90 degrees so that the views are up and down the river, rather than having half of the rooms collecting all that noise from the highway. Also, rotating the tower the tower would give it a thinner profile and not block views of the skyline as much for those driving on 131.

GrDad, my comment about the hilarity of downtown waterpark was not because I have any knowledge of the project. I was just picturing driving past there, looking out the window, and seeing this mass of colorful slides coming out of the building and looping around. Just seemed funny to me.

Joe

I'll preface my skeptical post by saying that I would love to see a very successful water park downtown and see it succeed for 30-40 years...but...

Does anyone remember AJ's Water Park and Mackie's World? I believe Grand Rapidians lost interest in Mackie's World as soon as 98 Degrees and Nick Lachey left town on the tour bus. I realize the concept of this water park is not apples to apples, but MW was championed on CNN and all state-wide media outlets as the only mall for children in the country.

Archived