CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Griffin Park

gs3

According to the April 27,. 2007 issue of Greenville Journal in the Southern Connector article, Bi-Lo and CVS have confirmed locations nearby Fork Shoals Road. Assuming they are near Griffin Park, is there any work yet on the retail phase of the community?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think at West Georgia Road, where Griffin Park is, or down at SC-418.

Bi-Lo's capital plan calls for a location, a supermarket/pharmacy combination store, in Moonville. Their last known tentative location was on the corner opposite CVS at US-25, Ashmore Bridge Road, and I-185 at The Matrix entrance.

What happened to innovation? Has the concept of 'new urbanism' has been proven to be more effective in fostering more healthy growth over a longer period of time? If it has, then thats fine, but why aren't we trying different, new, interesting designs instead of the same styles that have existed for over 300 years? I believe it is fine to take elements from older periods in architecture, but it is also necesary to innovate and progress in the field fo architecture so it doesnt become stagnate. I also understand that the general population decides what style of home they want, but when was it that people became so conservative and stubborn to change, even to initiate themselves. I see a lot of other future architects from my generation, and im so distrought over their inability to innovate, or even want to innovate at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^You're not the only one, i mean i don't think i've ever seen a 'traditional' town with that thing in it! :lol: Other than that, the houses don't look that bad, i've pretty much given up on hoping that these new urbanist developments will really be in any way innovative design-wise, and that they will actually have good craftsmanship. And i really hate that sickening tagline on their website, "one step closer to perfect"...are they kidding themselves??! These developers need to get it through their heads that this is a society that functions very differently from whatever period they are trying to imitate. While it is sad that we are a nation obsessed with strip malls, McMansions, office parks, and highways, we need to understand that just building pseudo-traditional 'towns' in the middle of nowhere won't solve any of these problems. We can't just instantly revert back to a time where a small town-setting was relevant to the lifestyle of the residents. Of course the people that move into these (non-energy efficient) homes will commute to office parks and will shop mostly at strip malls, defeating whatever 'purpose' this development was intended for. We really need to become more progressive and create a new definition of sustainable living that doesn't try to imitate a period that isn't relevant at all to our current situation, but one that builds on the past, while still being innovative, something this development really hasn't taken to heart.

That "ugly" shingle sided home is almost an exact replica of a 40's Sears Kit Home. Check out some these historic structures on the web.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

TND's seem to be a good step in the right direction, IMO. Look at the positives....they use less land as houses are close together, homes have front porches so you can get to know your neighbors, walking trails and biking trails give the opportunity for exercise, small shops in the devlopments (dry cleaners, coffee shops, banks, etc) lessen the need for multiple car trips, etc. TND's may not be perfect, but thay are a far cry better the sprawling McMansion neighborhoods. Curious what would be a more progressive and new definition of sustainable living? :dontknow:

TND's seem to be a good step in the right direction, IMO. Look at the positives....they use less land as houses are close together, homes have front porches so you can get to know your neighbors, walking trails and biking trails give the opportunity for exercise, small shops in the devlopments (dry cleaners, coffee shops, banks, etc) lessen the need for multiple car trips, etc. TND's may not be perfect, but thay are a far cry better the sprawling McMansion neighborhoods. Curious what would be a more progressive and new definition of sustainable living? :dontknow:

I think of most new urbanist developments as well-dressed suburban communities. They are closer to meeting their stated goals of "live, work, and play" when done as an infill project. When done out in the suburbs, they are functionally no different from traditional suburbs. The residents commute out of the community to work and workers (if the non-residential space is viable, which is atypical in most new urbanist developments) commute from outside.

They are a step in the right direction in terms of open-space preservation and a slightly smaller burden on infrastructure, but it is only a one-yard gain when you need a full ten-yards for a first down. (Sorry, football season is just about here.)

Part of the reason you see these sites out in the suburbs is becuase the cost to development them is greater leaving a need to for cheaper land to get the prices where people will pay. Also, out in the suburbs it is easier to find large tracts of land for them. Ideally they would be done as infill but if you must develop the suburbs then it is better using the NEw Urbanist and TND models than what has been traditionally used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw an article about Griffin Park today in the Gville news, and one last week about the Grand Opening. The website has a new intro about the Grand Opening. Griffin Park

Has anyone been out to it? I drove out there today. It was raining, and they weren't open (they open tomorrow through Sunday) but it looked awesome. The architectural detail and the streetscape is excellent.

• 6 months later...

I was curious about Griffin Park, so I did some searching to see what they are asking for their houses. I was disappointed to find that the homes seem overpriced to me.

Here are the three most expensive:

-3 BR, 3.5 BA, 3000-3199 square feet, $724,000

-4 BR, 3 BA, 3000-3199 square feet, $627,500

-5 BR, 3.5 BA, 2800-2999 square feet, $624,900

Here are the three most affordable:

-3 BR, 2 BA, 1400-1599 square feet, $349,000

-3 BR, 2 BA, 1600-1799 square feet, $349,000

-3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2200-2399 square feet, $373,500

I realize that Griffin Park is a different type of neighborhood. It has sidewalks, am amphitheater, parks, and a retail component planned. I'm sure the architectural detail on the houses is high quality. But as great as those things are, I do not see them justifying what they are asking. Many people will not like the smaller lots or the location of the neighborhood in Simpsonville. If it was closer in town with those amenities, I could maybe understand it. But for that price, people can seemingly get more house and more yard - especially in the suburbs.

Thoughts?

I was curious about Griffin Park, so I did some searching to see what they are asking for their houses. I was disappointed to find that the homes seem overpriced to me.

Here are the three most expensive:

-3 BR, 3.5 BA, 3000-3199 square feet, $724,000

-4 BR, 3 BA, 3000-3199 square feet, $627,500

-5 BR, 3.5 BA, 2800-2999 square feet, $624,900

Here are the three most affordable:

-3 BR, 2 BA, 1400-1599 square feet, $349,000

-3 BR, 2 BA, 1600-1799 square feet, $349,000

-3 BR, 2.5 BA, 2200-2399 square feet, $373,500

I realize that Griffin Park is a different type of neighborhood. It has sidewalks, am amphitheater, parks, and a retail component planned. I'm sure the architectural detail on the houses is high quality. But as great as those things are, I do not see them justifying what they are asking. Many people will not like the smaller lots or the location of the neighborhood in Simpsonville. If it was closer in town with those amenities, I could maybe understand it. But for that price, people can seemingly get more house and more yard - especially in the suburbs.

Thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Archived