333 Commerce Ave - Heartside

GRDadof3

From today's Planning Commission agenda:

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us//download...53ca37397d2.pdf

350646250_3122dcf4fa.jpg

Existing building to be renovated (in the foreground, Globe Apts in background):

350646256_f9547da8b0.jpg

East elevation (no water color or 3d renderings in the packet)

350646263_217d5f7b82_o.jpg

North elevation (existing building in the foreground)

350646267_0c7946a944_o.jpg

West elevation (facing Metropolitan Park Apts)

350646275_bb9cdb4623_o.jpg

Main floor and garden

350646278_20777e30ab_o.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, and no one commented on this? This is an area that really seems to be making a comeback, I'm glad to see another development in the works. There is a need for more apartments downtown.

When I moved to the area this summer I tried to find a place to live downtown and it seemed I either made to much money to live in some buildings, didn't make enough to be able to afford living in others, or as was the case with the Globe there was a waiting list. I ended up having to settle for an apartment about a half mile from downtown, which isn't far, but it's on the wrong side of 196. So my point is, this project is needed, I hope it moved forward.

I will second that too! It will clean the area up very well.

Is it correct that they will renovate the current building? It does not look like much but I assume it has value if they are deciding to keep it. Is there any historical value to it?

It's kinda hard to tell what the building looks like from the picture, but I bet if they sandblast the paint of the brick the building will look nice. The design of the building does look kinda cool from what I can see and I'm glad they'll be saving it.

I think this would be a wonderful addition and upgrade for the area. :) Maybe it'll even spark other developments in the area.

Hey if they have really affordable studio units without all those student restrictions, I'm in. "No full time college students allowed" has been a thorn in my side. And anything that doesn't have that restriction is too expensive. I don't want to share a 2 bed apartment with 6 other people just to make it by, I just want a little tiny space I can sleep in at night to call home for a rate that won't send me off selling all my possesions.

(I definately want to go to college this year, so I'll likely be spending an arm and a leg every month in gas, car repairs, possibly replacement cars, all because my parents choose to live in Way-too-far-aWayland.)

Thinking GVSU? That wouldn't be a bad location for you if so. I had a studio in heritage hill for a year and I liked the small space and being by myself. I've had roommates all through college and, except for that year, ever since. Though having roommates right now is by choice because I like having people pay me rent. :D

• 2 months later...

I believe this renovation/addition has cleared all the hurdles to get Brownfield Redevelopment status, and it appears there is a new dumpster outside. Heartside may have to be renamed "Heat-side" if all these projects on the drawing boards start happening.

454546171_56272b7afa_b.jpg

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...25d439b47ac.pdf

(pg. 184)

Chris Knape's blog has an interesting bit on the old Loose Leaf Plant on Commerce. He says that financing is in place and work should begin soon. Does anyone have any additional info on the building? Will it have a restaurant/bar (it's owned Kris Elliott who owns Grand Woods Lodge). Also, is this a condominium development or apartments? I would assume apartments as it doesn't appear he has to wait to sell 50%.

Good news! (Chris also has a rendering).

Joe

Chris Knape's blog has an interesting bit on the old Loose Leaf Plant on Commerce. He says that financing is in place and work should begin soon. Does anyone have any additional info on the building? Will it have a restaurant/bar (it's owned Kris Elliott who owns Grand Woods Lodge). Also, is this a condominium development or apartments? I would assume apartments as it doesn't appear he has to wait to sell 50%.

Good news! (Chris also has a rendering).

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by this building over the weekend and right now if you blink, you'll miss it. Bravo to those with enough vision to pluck it out of disrepair and fix 'er up! The rendering looks cool. This will be a fun one to watch!

*fish

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really going to like this project. In addition to South Division, I see this end of Commerce as sort of the "Southern Gateway" to Heartside (since Ionia is inaccessible and runs under Wealthy):

They were cleaning up the site the other day, getting ready for excavation:

501234422_f59d0c5a08.jpg

(click for full image)

RapidGrowth has a story about it today

- 39 lofts for rent, from efficiencies to work/live and penthouse lofts

- Exposed brick and beams (I wonder if this will be replicated in the new portion?)

- Community skydeck

- Neighborhood cafe providing breakfast, lunch and catering (they're hiring btw)

- Move-ins by the end of November (this one is going to go fast!)

Archived