333 Commerce Ave - Heartside

GRDadof3

Another thing that I noticed in the above posts is a complaint about the pavemet on commerce, it is frankly quite poor, I am forced to drive dow that road everyday when exiting the highway at Fulton, theres been many a time, especially at night, when I neglect some of the potholes and completely bottom out my car launching me into a tyrade of cursing that lasts all the way up to my apartment causing my roomates to look at me as if I was moderately insane.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monroe between Leonard & Anne St is another section that is in much need of repair. I went to Puerto Rico a year or so back and the roads there were better, sad really.

I havn't been able to find anything about scheduled rebuilding, heading into fall and winter now I wouldn't expect anything this year, hopefully next summer, i'd have to think they'd redo it before Loose Leaf is done however...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I see this everyday thought I'd give somewhat of an update on it.

It looks like things are moving full swing, an elevator shaft has been poured, and it appears just like the apartment complex to the west of it that it's using a wood :o infrastructure. There were some wooden floor trusses at the site, and it looks like a wood frame is being built on top of the foundation. I'll have to grab the camera one of these days and take some snapshots.

Since I see this everyday thought I'd give somewhat of an update on it.

It looks like things are moving full swing, an elevator shaft has been poured, and it appears just like the apartment complex to the west of it that it's using a wood :o infrastructure. There were some wooden floor trusses at the site, and it looks like a wood frame is being built on top of the foundation. I'll have to grab the camera one of these days and take some snapshots.

Since this is wood, I could see the structure being done by the end of this year. Interesting that two projects side by side are both made of wood now. Although thats probably the most sensible thing to do, since in reality it's the only replenishable building material.

Jeeze, I am going to have to pay for parking now because there will be no free street parking. There is plenty of parking for others but they park all the way down by the globe just to avoid paying for parking, so the downtown workers take the spots, they are so cheap.

Commernce really needs to be redone (with brick).

Commerce and Oakes needs a four-way stop please!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brick going on the West side and also lookin good (the taller section to the right). I like the color and the mix of standard sized bricks and oversized blocks:

2088896551_2c7fccf9cf_b.jpg

It will look better once the brick and balconies (railings) go on (in my estimation):

2088898095_d27f60feee_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Loose Leaf is coming along quickly:

2171795825_74f38a5d93.jpg

My only critique is the large bricks they are using on the addition (they are mixing them with "normal bricks horizontally"). It still is great to see though. Sorry for the so so pic. My regular camera died and I had to use my phone.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

The larger blocks are not my thing, but it is still looking great (and a great addition to the neighborhood). This building will look really nice once they build the overhang (for lack of a better word) over the front.

It'll be interesting to see if the retail space in The Globe building will get used with the additional action going on in the area.

Joe

Another photo update from today. Just a few finishing touches on the brick. I don't think the larger blocks look bad at all. This area with Metropolitan Park Apts, the Globe and this project is really creating its own little density.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a nice guided tour of this building today! We saw the Douglas J student area, set up a lot like a regular dorm, with a common restroom and separate bedrooms, also community living space and kitchen area. Can't wait to see it complete! They're doing wiring and drywall today.

Also got up on the higher floors, saw some of the "efficiency" units and the larger condo units. Tall ceilings! They're looking really nice and are doing (from what I can see and with my definitely untrained eye) pretty quality work. The kitchen cupboards were up in some and they look very classy. I sent an email today to find out if there have been any prices set yet, and if I find anything out I'll be sure to pass it along!

Sorry I have no pictures, the tour was a last minute thing. They're working hard though and say it should be done by the end of February.

• 1 month later...

Archived