333 Commerce Ave - Heartside

GRDadof3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very interesting project. It sounds like a promising new building, with living space much like what I've been looking for. The parking situation sounds bleek though - only 16 spaces are required and that's all it seems like they're worrying about. Parking is a huge issue with my current loft and will certainly be a major concern for my next move as well. If Elliot and the builders are smart they'll build a garage under the new addition - No way i'd pay $700-$1200 a month and have to worry about parking. scared.gif

This is a very interesting project. It sounds like a promising new building, with living space much like what I've been looking for. The parking situation sounds bleek though - only 16 spaces are required and that's all it seems like they're worrying about. Parking is a huge issue with my current loft and will certainly be a major concern for my next move as well. If Elliot and the builders are smart they'll build a garage under the new addition - No way i'd pay $700-$1200 a month and have to worry about parking. scared.gif

oakes, I'll preface this by saying I'm not picking on you.

But here was a DT resident saying there's not enough parking. We have downtown retailers saying there's not enough parking. We have suburban shoppers saying parking is a reason they don't come downtown.

Then, in the other corner, buoyed by photographic evidence we have thread after thread on UP dedicated to the concept that there's too many surface lots downtown (and too many parking spaces), that parking's not an issue...just a perception, and even some who say there should be no parking requirements tied to downtown development because the requirements are out of whack.

Clearly there's a disconnect here. Which is it? Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Closer to my own neck of the woods the same debate rages on with respect to EGR's gaslight village. The city just lifted all parking requirements for new businesses saying that people want to walk from their cars, across a busy Wealthy St. (with no cross-walks to help peds) to shop.

I guess this is way off topic. Sorry. :)

I think at this point in time in downtown GR, for residential, you have to provide at least 1 parking space per living unit (or you're going to struggle to get tenants/buyers). A "car-less" city Grand Rapids is not (as most mid-sized cities are not). What if your employer is not downtown or along the bus lines? What about getting groceries and necessities? They're not available within walking distance.

My earlier thread on the vast sea of surface lots was that it seems ridiculous to provide all that parking for workers downtown who commute every day. I have to agree with oakeslife that not having parking for a residential project is extremely risky.

oakes, I'll preface this by saying I'm not picking on you.

But here was a DT resident saying there's not enough parking. We have downtown retailers saying there's not enough parking. We have suburban shoppers saying parking is a reason they don't come downtown.

Then, in the other corner, buoyed by photographic evidence we have thread after thread on UP dedicated to the concept that there's too many surface lots downtown (and too many parking spaces), that parking's not an issue...just a perception, and even some who say there should be no parking requirements tied to downtown development because the requirements are out of whack.

Clearly there's a disconnect here. Which is it? Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Closer to my own neck of the woods the same debate rages on with respect to EGR's gaslight village. The city just lifted all parking requirements for new businesses saying that people want to walk from their cars, across a busy Wealthy St. (with no cross-walks to help peds) to shop.

I guess this is way off topic. Sorry. :)

• 2 weeks later...
That's Crazy! My dorm rooms in college were all larger than that. Even the single I had my senior year, which was cramped if I had more than one friend over, was bigger than 110 square feet! If that's actually what the call efficency they'll have a hard time leasing them.

Pretty sure he was exagerating to make a point about his issues with "efficiencies" in general. Obviously they must be larger than 110 sf...

Personally, I think there's general ill will around town toward what developers come up with as "affordable" efficiencies. Call it something hip like "e-pad" (tall house) if you want, it's still a pretty tiny space for a crap load of money (epad = 150k+)

Latest news on the development...

It will contain approximately 33 units - 10 studios, 12 one bed/one bath, 7 live/work units with two bedrooms, and four penthouse units. Rents will range from $700-$800 for the studios to $1,700 for the penthouses. Still waiting to see what the amenities will be in the penthouses for that price.

Douglas J. has signed a lease for approximately half of the space on the second floor of the building. Their space will be set up more like a dorm, and the units will only be available to Douglas J. students.

There will be a 2,700 square foot retail space on the garden level. Currently, the developer is looking for a tenant that will open a cafe there (and serve breakfast). Worse case scenario, the developer will operate the retail space (probably a cafe) himself, as he has experience in the restaurant industry (Grand Woods).

More to come as it becomes available.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While this thread is moderately old, I live in the Globe Apartments (The big brick building i the background of the above picture) and this is a project that I personally have been interested in for a couple years now ever since I heard the first thing about it. I'm glad that finally now they have began to make progress on it, I plan to start taking pictures of the construction as it progresses seeing it is something that I see everyday when I walk to the Shell Station up at Division & Wealthy.

Another thing that I noticed in the above posts is a complaint about the pavemet on commerce, it is frankly quite poor, I am forced to drive dow that road everyday when exiting the highway at Fulton, theres been many a time, especially at night, when I neglect some of the potholes and completely bottom out my car launching me into a tyrade of cursing that lasts all the way up to my apartment causing my roomates to look at me as if I was moderately insane.

The whole area is starting to shape up, and personally, i'm excited to see what else is in store.

Archived