Heritage PTL Tower Condos

monsoon

Agreed. I think part of that comes from the local stigma attached to the property as well as the type of people that tried to redevelop it. Almost every development group I've heard of looking at the property were evangelical christian groups. No slam on them, but they're not the most trustworthy when delivering on what they say or in having enough financial backing to attempt to do a project of this size.

The current owner, Morningstar is a good example.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back looooong ago, the NC government gave the Indians (I forget which group, most likely the Catawba) a slab of land where this park sits along with Carowinds for pushing them out of their previous territory. So yes it's a good possibility that there might be a burial ground here.

When I was really little (I'm 20 now) we would go to the waterpark (Herritage/Carolina Splash) sometimes it was at the time better then anything Carowinds offered as far as a waterpark, too bad we don't have another close waterpark anymore, we need something like Wet-N-Wild Emerald Pointe, that place rules!

With the leaves off the trees, you can glimpse this thing off some of the surrounding roads, like Harrisburg road. Looks like a prison, sitting out there by itself against a gloomy sky such as today... So many dark windows... It's a creepy monolith to the Bakker's egomania!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I might not be remembering properly, but I can't think of another building in the Charlotte area that has had this amount of controversy, notoriety, lasting power, and mystique as this building. For that reason alone I think they should try to save it.

I might not be remembering properly, but I can't think of another building in the Charlotte area that has had this amount of controversy, notoriety, lasting power, and mystique as this building. For that reason alone I think they should try to save it.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone interested. Here is the website for Morning Star Ministries, the current owner of the old PTL site. http://him.morningstarministries.org/

From what I understand, they are trying to turn the 20 story tower into an assisted living building, and was told sponsors could buy a single unit for $6,000 to refurbish. This is in addition to a grade school and some sort of seminary school. Check out the plans under the H.I.M. Vision tab.

• 4 months later...

The waterpark was torn down to make way for a new shopping & office complex surrounding the lake. The castle & amphitheater are BOTH still there and are either undergoing renovations or will be renovated. They are both to remain.

I was down at Heritage USA a few months ago with an out of town guest. It was really sad to see that most of it has been bulldozed over in the past year. The Water Park is flattened, as well as the old Castle and Amphitheatre.

The only remaining parts are the Grand Hotel which is now a church and the condo tower which is empty.

I can remember taking out of town guests down to Heritage USA 15 years ago because it was a fun place to go spend the day. They were also well known for their Christmas light display every year that people would wait in line for hours to see. Oh the good ole days.

Now it is just another generic suburban neighborhood.

• 1 year later...

The Biz Journal is notoriously skilled at getting these stories wrong. I seem to remember the York county council had decided not to give a permit to restore the tower. In any case there have been plenty of announcements before like this. Everything from this guy to the Koreans, yet 21 years and nothing.

Archived