Urban Disasters

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

All though I don't have any pictures but the devastation caused by Tropical Storm Allison (2001) in Houston is one of the worst weather related storms to hit a major city. All the major freeways were under water and most of the 10 major bayous flooded. two fee of rain fell in less than 24 hours.

Actually that was a tornado/water spout in Miami. Although it looked very dramatic it did little damage. Salt Lake City, Nashville and Ft. Worth are other major cities that have had downtown tornadoes that I can think of.

On TS Allison, I remember the footage of the Interstate rivers flowing through Houston, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it one of the worst storms to hit a major city. The Galveston hurricane on the other hand... wow.

yeah I was gonna say thats a tornado (they pull up hurricanes blow down) hurricanes are never that detailed in the horizon, its more like a storm front as far as the eye can see, not a specific funnel cloud, although hurricanes the exact opposite wind pattern as a tornado or water spout (basically a tornado over water) has been known to produce tornados. What if a Tornado in Oklahoma produced a Hurricane :lol: That'd be something. (I know a hurricane needs months at sea with warm current la la la).

EXCELLENT pic of that funnel cloud though, A-W-E-S-O-M-E. By the way Pittsburgh had a SEVERE tornado for the first time in 200 years a few years ago, and where did it strike, right downtown and on the Mt. Washington vistas. I never saw a series of pics of that, not in the newspapers or the weblinks or anything, wonder if anyone thought to take a pic of them.

Oh by the way I saw a Weather Channel documentary on that Worchester twister, that was a bad one.

Flint had an F-5 Tornado in 1953 that killed 116 people. It was the last tornado to kill more than 100 people in the United States. Ironically, on the 50th anniversary of that tornado, several tornadoes formed in the Flint area, one of which passed dangerously close to my house. Some people down the street had their garages torn off of the foundations and blown into their front yards, but nothing really major.

Archived