Historic Preservation

ZachariahDaMan

Recently I've been considering switching my major (criminal justice) to architecture or urban planning but have decided against it. Now I've been looking up information on historic preservation and it seems really interesting. But do you think it would be easy to find a job? Has anyone else majored in this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Recently I've been considering switching my major (criminal justice) to architecture or urban planning but have decided against it. Now I've been looking up information on historic preservation and it seems really interesting. But do you think it would be easy to find a job? Has anyone else majored in this?

Personally, I would go to architecture school and focus on historic preservation, classical styles... Then try to get a job with a company that specializes in that work. You'll have more opportunities available to you career wise if things fizzle or become saturated in the historic preservation field in your area.

There's a lot of stuff that goes into historic preservation. To take on a real project, even my architectural degree probably isn't enough. I need experience in financing, tax credits, and the related so that my project is economically feasible. But I'm talking about the larger stuff.

Really, if you want to just renovate a small commercial building or house, there's not a whole lot of experience necessary so as long as you don't do any major structural work. However, I would reccomend, taking some contracting classes and possibly get a license. I actually intend on doing that and taking classes while I work at an architecture firm.

Check and see if a dual major will work at your college, taking criminal justice with contracting/construction courses. In many cases these extra courses will replace your electives.

This is going to vary between universities, and I know you are a bit more familiar with the University of Michigan, Zach since you visit Ann Arbor a lot. But the program I'm in at U of M doesn't really contribute to my knowledge in historical preservation as an undergrad. At least not until grad school can I get the option to pursue something like that. I've taken some history of architecture classes, but they don't really get into much detail. I've taken two construction courses, and a two structures courses as well, but scope of these is very broad and they only teach you how to lookup and find the information.

Therefore, the best kind of experience you can get is actually working in the field with someone. Get a job at a construction site during the summer, even if it isn't a restoration. After a few years, you will have the skills necessary to begin doing small work on your own.

Thanks guys as you can tell I don't know as much as you. I can't major in architecture because simply put I'm not smart enough. Lets say I get a degree in Historic Preservation should that be enough to find a job? That still leaves a pretty good range of possible jobs but I probably won't be too picky, just whatever job I can get.

Thanks guys as you can tell I don't know as much as you. I can't major in architecture because simply put I'm not smart enough. Lets say I get a degree in Historic Preservation should that be enough to find a job? That still leaves a pretty good range of possible jobs but I probably won't be too picky, just whatever job I can get.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd let everyone that I have decided exactly what I will be doing. I am majoring in history and minoring in historic preservation. I would like to work at a museum. I will be transfering to Eastern Michigan University. I have been talking through e-mail and the phone to the guy who runs the historic preservation program.

For a while now I have been volunteering here at the Canton Historical Museum and today I got the assignment to research Canton's old houses that are gone. I am probably going to be putting together a little booklet about them, perhaps listed by architecture style.

Just thought I'd let everyone that I have decided exactly what I will be doing. I am majoring in history and minoring in historic preservation. I would like to work at a museum. I will be transfering to Eastern Michigan University. I have been talking through e-mail and the phone to the guy who runs the historic preservation program.

For a while now I have been volunteering here at the Canton Historical Museum and today I got the assignment to research Canton's old houses that are gone. I am probably going to be putting together a little booklet about them, perhaps listed by architecture style.

Archived