Coral Gables Trolley

Brickell

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/st...05/daily29.html

Trolleys break another record

The four-month-old Coral Gables trolley program said it shuttled its 100,000th rider during the week ended March 26. Three weeks ago, the hybrid-electric shuttle fleet reached a record high of 2,500 passengers in one day.

"We have successfully developed and implemented an intercity system of mobility, the heart of which is our ADA-accessible, vintage-styled, environmentally friendly, quiet, fuel-efficient vehicles," said Ed Cox, the Coral Gables trolley manager.

Coral Gables Mayor Donald Slesnick II said other municipalities in the region have taken notice.

"Coral Gables has hosted visitors from several other city governments who are intrigued by what we've accomplished in such a short time," he said. "They seem very interested in our experience with the trolley program as they research ways to emulate our success for their own communities."

Since beginning operation last year, the city said ridership on trolleys has steadily increased.

Each trolley seats about 22 people, plus 15 standing passengers. There is no charge for a ride.

After seven weeks in service, Coral Gables City Commissioner William Kerdyk said, the city achieved its pre-launch goal of 1,000 average riders a day. An initial ridership survey had shown reaching that number would take several months, he added.

The city said the most popular embarkation point is the Douglas Road Metrorail stop. City officials said that indicates trolleys are a popular service for Metrorail commuters.

Other favorite stops, the city said, include the intersection of Ponce de Leon and Miracle Mile, the Village of Merrick Park stop at San Lorenzo Avenue and the corner of Ponce de Leon and Santillane.

The trolleys are part of an urban improvement program Coral Gables began to help traffic flow in the city's commercial areas and to connect with the Metrorail.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Any chance you have any pics of the trolleys?

I love trolley systems. I which more cities have effective trolley systems in place since they are an awesome way to get around.

Yes, they're small electric busses fancied up retro style.

Didn't mean to mislead people into thinking it was real trolley. That's what they call it though. I posted it mainly to show that given alternatives, people will accept mass transit. I doubt the City of CG will ever install rail-based trolleys, but that would be ideal. The Metrorail pretty much bypasses CG and the city is urbanizing nicely.

Archived