The Fresh Market

snoogit

I know we've all discussed about getting a specialty grocer like a Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's on here before, but I noticed this place seemed to get looked over in the hubbub of development news that came with it.

I know it's old news, (It was in Saturday's press) but I was wondering if anyone in the know knows if this is like Whole Foods/Trader Joe's or not?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know we've all discussed about getting a specialty grocer like a Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's on here before, but I noticed this place seemed to get looked over in the hubbub of development news that came with it.

I know it's old news, (It was in Saturday's press) but I was wondering if anyone in the know knows if this is like Whole Foods/Trader Joe's or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh Market is a privately-held company, no Kroger connection.

Very nice operation, quite similar to a Whole Foods but not amped up as much, way better than a Wild Oats, and Trader Joe's isn't even in the same class.

Big on top-quality produce, very good fresh deli, very good in the fresh meats (very little pre-pack), bakery is quite good, frozen is no great shakes, pretty good selection of gormet items... all in all they would be a great addition to the community !!!

BTW - Long time listeners... yeah, I'm the same Kib from the "Project X" days, and GR is back on my radar again...

Shout out to GRdad... I'll be hunting you down (grin)

Fresh Market is a privately-held company, no Kroger connection.

Very nice operation, quite similar to a Whole Foods but not amped up as much, way better than a Wild Oats, and Trader Joe's isn't even in the same class.

Big on top-quality produce, very good fresh deli, very good in the fresh meats (very little pre-pack), bakery is quite good, frozen is no great shakes, pretty good selection of gormet items... all in all they would be a great addition to the community !!!

BTW - Long time listeners... yeah, I'm the same Kib from the "Project X" days, and GR is back on my radar again...

Shout out to GRdad... I'll be hunting you down (grin)

Now I actually have a few friends that live in the Detroit area where this Fresh Market is located, and they said they swear by it...and that they would go there first before going to any other fresh produce store. So I'm excited to check it out when it gets built, fortunately it's close enough by my work where I can zip over there and check it out. I'm excited, at least we're getting something...albeit in a strange location.

• 11 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has been in FM yet? Noticed it while Chistmas shopping but didn't have time to run in. Is it similar to Trader Joe's? It's about a 15-20 minute drive for me so it's not a store I would frequent. Love the flax seed Tortilla chips from TJ's though!

Just wondering if anyone has been in FM yet? Noticed it while Chistmas shopping but didn't have time to run in. Is it similar to Trader Joe's? It's about a 15-20 minute drive for me so it's not a store I would frequent. Love the flax seed Tortilla chips from TJ's though!

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry, but this is one of those "duh" moments. For a place that was trying to establish a higher end clientele, it sure had a boring brand and a terrible location. "Fresh Market" in a plain old font. Why not just call it "Food". :dontknow: I was in it once because I was at Staples next door, and it just looked like a newer D&W. I'm not a foodie so I have no idea if it carried anything you couldn't buy at Meijer, D&W or Russo's.

I'm wondering when World Market is going to close. I never see anyone in there the few times we've ventured in (and bought nothing).

The fact that they are pulling out of Michigan altogether says that this is as much of a change in core business model as it is a reflection on one store's performance. I think they are finding themselves consistently being outdone by other conventional grocers with bigger brand names....on a regional scale by places like D&W and on a national scale Kroger, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods.

The fact that they are pulling out of Michigan altogether says that this is as much of a change in core business model as it is a reflection on one store's performance. I think they are finding themselves consistently being outdone by other conventional grocers with bigger brand names....on a regional scale by places like D&W and on a national scale Kroger, Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods.

I can't say I'm too surprised, although when we were there last Sunday it was quite busy. Of course, they didn't have any of the King cakes we were looking for (TWO days before Fat Tuesday!). If the store hadn't been located out in the strip mall wasteland I try and avoid at all costs, we may have shopped there more for some fancier luxury items.

I have to say, they did a lousy job advertising themselves with a bad location, bad signage, and few (if any) print ads. I didn't even know they were an upscale type of place until one day I just wandered in there to see what they were. With the look of the sign, I thought they were low end, cheap stuff (boy, was I suprised when I went in!). Suffice it to say, they had a hand in there lack of success here, while the economy no doubt played a role.

I have to say, they did a lousy job advertising themselves with a bad location, bad signage, and few (if any) print ads. I didn't even know they were an upscale type of place until one day I just wandered in there to see what they were. With the look of the sign, I thought they were low end, cheap stuff (boy, was I suprised when I went in!). Suffice it to say, they had a hand in there lack of success here, while the economy no doubt played a role.

Archived