Source: Honolulu Advertiser

WHAT'S PLANNED

Homes tentatively planned for Ho'opili on 1,600 acres of 'Ewa agriculture land

UP TO 4 MILLION

Square feet of commercial space in the development

Acres of parks and open space

Public schools, along with 1 or 2 private schools

Source: D.R. Horton Inc.'s Schuler Division

The developer of possibly the largest master-planned community ever created on O'ahu plans to apply next week for state land-use approval, a major step for the 'Ewa project envisioned with 11,700 homes plus schools, parks and businesses.

Dubbed Ho'opili, the project by D.R. Horton Inc.'s Schuler Division is big enough to be considered its own school district, with five proposed public schools

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Exactly, I don't think these proposers and planners are using their head because land is so limited there and they are really digging into all the agricultural land soon 100% of the food will have to be imported as if 80 or 90% wasn't bad enough. Not only that they really should concentrate things more in the city where most people work and play. This whole idea to make Kapolei the "2nd city" is such a joke, its suburban and so are the cookie-cutter developments. Of course in order to make things happen the residents should get more involved in demanding better-use of the land, preserving more land for open-space, agriculture, etc and agree that the population will only continue to grow, car use will increase, therefore concentrating development near or in the city would be a better option. I know a lot of people are still anti-condo/skyscraper and all that junk but there's not going to be much of a choice if all these suburban developments continue to gulp all the land. I'd rather see one 300 or 400 ft. tower that has hundreds of units than hundreds of homes spread over hundreds or more acres.

As much as I hate the idea of the second city too, its the 'divine' plan. A general view of the zoning looks as though this development will not be like kapolei or the other ewa developments. Ho'opili will actually hold a closer character to a 'city', or at least a town. Note the "low-medium live/work" rather than "single-family homes/low-density". Note the proportion of "medium" to "low-medium" and wait...are there actually "high-density" zoning in the plan? It's a start. I hope that this development doesn't fall short like the other developments on the plain have.

Actually Ho'opili is the most progressive master planned community (relatively speaking) on O'ahu. Schuler Homes and the urban designers used some strategies laid out in the "Smart Growth" and sustainablities plan. I think there was another article in here highlighting "Smart Growth" plans in the Mehana at Kapolei thread.

Secondly, if you go to the Kapolei.com website, and check out the development maps, you'll see that the majority of "downtown" Kapolei lots are purchased and in the planning stages of development. The first development to announce their plans for office space was by a development firm called Avalon Dev. It won't compare to a honolulu skyscraper...but its a start. So over the next few years the downtown kapolei area will look more like a city and provide jobs as well as relieve some of the traffic.

On another note, City Councilman Charles K. Djou will propose, sometime this month, to introduce legislation to make changes to the city height limit. He cites urban sprawl as a reason to change the height limit. Which I think is a really good reason to do so.

The city council led in a discussion on height limits just before the construction of the last commercial high-rise structure (First Hawaiian Center). That discussion resulted in a multi-tiered layering effect with the highest buildings in the downtown core (intersection of Bishop Street and King Street). Height limits lower as building envelopes move further from the Urban Core.

Who knows what this current discussion will lead to. However, I do know that the Outdoor Circle will be at the forefront of protest against any changes to the current height limit, as well as, others who live above Honolulu as this may decrease property values due to diminished view corridors to the ocean.

As far as Ho'opili is concerned, the overall plan is set as per their master plan. DR Horton, Schuler Homes has spent money to get this plan, so there is no reason to veer too far away from what was planned.

However, according to Pacific Business News, their sales volume has dropped. Some of you may remember about a decade ago, Schuler Homes planned a residential community on the same East Kapolei parcel. They abandoned the project after their sales slumped. Will they abandon the project a second time? Probably not. Why? Because Schuler Homes is now a subsidiary of a much larger mainland housing conglomerate. DR Horton is one of the larger national home builders, but they are facing slumping mainland sales also.

In regards to the Waiawa project by Gentry Homes, their central O

• 3 months later...

Archived