State panel supports study for 4-year Univ at Beach

vdogg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A different view on ODU's expansion into VB

I have to say I generally agree with this editorial from the Virginian-Pilot. Just because Virginia Beach has a larger population than surrounding cities doesn't mean it is underserved by the nearby universities that happen to lie outside its borders. Also, the editorial makes a good point about redundance - TCC and ODU competing for students with the same courses practically next door with the state paying a good portion of both bills. If ODU has the money to build a new school in Virginia Beach, they need to use it to do some more work on their main campus, which is not above criticism.

With the exception of the closing statement, the Pilot's editorial board has focused on the dumbest argument for a public university in Virginia Beach (the me-too argument) and tore it to shreds. Good for them. But in their anti-VB university zeal, they are missing the big picture.

Community College Argument:

Classes at TCC like at all community colleges are inferior to those taught at a 4-year institution. To say otherwise would be to demean the purpose of a 4-year college. If community college courses were on par, then 1) why do they cost so much less (part-time instructors with master's level credentials) and 2) why not make community colleges the foundation of a bachelor's degree? As such, ODU (or any other 4-year college) caters to a different group than that of TCC. They are not competing for students, or at least the amount that TCC claims, since they serve two different purposes.

ODU argument:

ODU is trying to become a residential technical research university. It is shifting away from being a local college to one with regional and maybe national ambitions. It's location makes it inconvenient for locals who want to commute but live in the populus areas of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Still, any 4-year college in Virginia Beach needs to be a satellite campus of ODU in order to be viable.

NSU argument:

NSU is a historically-black college. That status is holding it back in an era when elite black students are shunning such schools in favor of places like UVa and UNC. Only prestigious institutions such as Hampton, Howard, and Morehouse can survive in their current set-up, although they are struggling to some degree as well. NSU needs to make a decision as to whether it wants to continue shrinking in enrollment or whether it wants to diversify.

W&M and CNU argument:

Both of these schools are for all intensive purposes, liberal arts colleges. Although W&M has a strong research program in marine sciences, their overall science research is small. Furthermore, it doesn't have an engineering school. CNU lacks an engineering school too. But what really sets these schools apart is their size. CNU has less than 5000 students although it is growing. W&M has capped its enrollment at 5000 undergrads and 2500 grad students. Because of their size, these two schools don't serve HR as much as they do the rest of the state and in W&M's case, the rest of the nation.

SO ODU is really the only school in the region that is growing significantly. But in order to make the transition to national research prominence, it needs to move away from being a local commuter school. Also, the Commonwealth projects a substantial increase in college enrollment in the coming decade. Creating a satellite campus for those purposes is the best solution. It allows ODU to grow to meet demand while allowing it to become a nationally selective university.

ODU argument:

ODU is trying to become a residential technical research university. It is shifting away from being a local college to one with regional and maybe national ambitions. It's location makes it inconvenient for locals who want to commute but live in the populus areas of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Still, any 4-year college in Virginia Beach needs to be a satellite campus of ODU in order to be viable.

NSU argument:

NSU is a historically-black college. That status is holding it back in an era when elite black students are shunning such schools in favor of places like UVa and UNC. Only prestigious institutions such as Hampton, Howard, and Morehouse can survive in their current set-up, although they are struggling to some degree as well. NSU needs to make a decision as to whether it wants to continue shrinking in enrollment or whether it wants to diversify.

Does NSU only admit African-Americans? I did my undergraduate work at NSU and in many of my classes I was the only African-American student. I have no idea of the class make-up today but to say that it is only African-Americans is a real stretch.

I would belive that there is a majority of African-Americans. Does anyone really know about the population of NSU, I do not mean information from the Va. Pilot. The Pilot never says too many kind words about NSU. I would like to know from someone who has first hand information.

Does NSU only admit African-Americans? I did my undergraduate work at NSU and in many of my classes I was the only African-American student. I have no idea of the class make-up today but to say that it is only African-Americans is a real stretch.

I would belive that there is a majority of African-Americans. Does anyone really know about the population of NSU, I do not mean information from the Va. Pilot. The Pilot never says too many kind words about NSU. I would like to know from someone who has first hand information.

Archived