CanukInAugusta

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah.. Augusta just isn't a great place for ethnic food. You have the run-of-the mill Americanised Chinese and Japanese places and a couple of respectable Indian restaurants. You can get Moo Goo Gai Pan in Augusta but not dim sum. I was very surprised to find a decent vietnamese place on my last visit to Augusta. It has a Japanese sounding name (odd) Wasabi Express I think. It's a hole in the wall type place on Washington Rd that used to be a Hardees I think. YOu can actually get Pho... vietnamese beef noodle soup there. I was quite shocked to find this in Augusta.. It's the only place in the Augusta to get it as far as I know. YOu pretty much have to drive to Atlanta to get dim sum.. several places in the chamblee area have good dim sum.. My personal fave is Royal China.

I noticed several new restaurants in the evans area last time I was that way.. but nothing that really looked interesting.. mostly just more national chains serving similar generic food. Patagonia does sound interesting though... I'm guessing it may be argentinian type fare... that will be a first for Augusta..The area definately could use more exotic international restaurants and less buffets and waffle houses.

Aiken has a great dining scene.. with lots of unique locally owned restaurants..

Also downtown Augusta has some decent places... That tapas place is pretty good (Bees Knees).. and White Elephant has always had a solid menu.

In Columbia COunty you're going to find mostly just chains.. sorry but that doesn't really excite me much..

I Can't remember the name of the strip mall where Patagonia is. Its the one that has the American dream cycles store.

The mediteranean place is okay. Upscale asian bistro? You must mean Sho Chin's (sp?).

Sho Chin's is very reasonable priced with an upscale ambience.

Still trying to find a place in the Augusta area that serves Dim Sum. No luck so far!

This is the first time I have ever heard of Steak and Shake referred to as "Fancy".... great burgers and shakes though.. but I wouldn't call it fancy.. unless you consider IHOP upscale.

http://blogs.augusta.com/node/989

"HEARD ON THE STREET: Fancy-schmancy hamburger joint Steak n' Shake is coming to Columbia County, and bar/grill Somewhere in Augusta is moving from National Hills shopping center to the building being vacated by Doris Diamonds (which is being merged into Windsor Jewelers).

That's all I've got, folks.

"

I think Five GUys will do very well in the Augusta area... Having lived many years in the Washington DC area where Five GUys is based, I can tell you that they are some of the best burgers anywhere.

From Todays Chronicle: "That's why I let out a wholly inappropriate "Cool!" in the office the other day when I found out a Sonic Drive-In restaurant will be built at 498 Furys Ferry Road in the Bi-Lo/Petersburg Shoppes plaza and

There used to be some places down in South Augusta that served dim sum. Some of the real hole in the wall Chinese places but not sure if they are still there. There are also a few good Korean restaurants down that way too...if you dont mind being accosted by the Korean prostitutes that hang around them...lol!!

Disgusta, Im suprised there arent any Vietnamese places in Augusta....have you checked down in South Augusta yet? I was suprised to find a few Vietnamese places in rural NE Georgia in a few of the towns with less than 10,000 people. For some reason these towns are much more multicultural than your average Georgia city though and you'll have to look for the Asian places, (they are usually tucked away in the corners of Latino strip malls.)

actually there is a Vietnamese place in Augsuta.. on Washington Rd.. but you wouldn't know by the name "Wasabi Express" .. it's billed as a Japanese/vietnamese restaurant, but the owners are vietnamese and they have many vietnamese items on the menu, including Pho. I was suprised to find it, but then actually an area the size of Augusta should have more than one vietnamese place.

Disgusta, Im suprised there arent any Vietnamese places in Augusta....have you checked down in South Augusta yet? I was suprised to find a few Vietnamese places in rural NE Georgia in a few of the towns with less than 10,000 people. For some reason these towns are much more multicultural than your average Georgia city though and you'll have to look for the Asian places, (they are usually tucked away in the corners of Latino strip malls.)

I hope Steak n Shake does not open on Furys Ferry Road. If they do they will be sorry. They dont support crap out there after all they just lost Loco's which was not even a year old. I hope they locate near Mullins Crossing. Moes is getting ready to expand thanks to their great support. Locos cold have done great if the people out there would get off their high horse and support their restaurants. Dinos just moved to washington rd. what does that tell you. That is the place to be other wise they would have stayed where they are. Fatz has done great and Red Robin which opened around the same time Locos did does great. I hope Locos will return to the Washington Rd Belair Rd corridor where it will make a killing. People actually support their restaurants there. Steak N Shake pay attention. DoNOT build on Furys Ferry Rd I repeat DoNOT!!!

Did the Dinos on Furys Ferry close? I know at one point they had two locations going and they said they both were doing good.

I think the reason why the Furys Ferry road is a bad location is because no one except for the people who live there, travel that road. Restaurants, especially new restaurants need to be put in places where everyone in the metro travels....like West Augusta or if you want to go to Evans, Washington Rd.

Did the Dinos on Furys Ferry close? I know at one point they had two locations going and they said they both were doing good.

I think the reason why the Furys Ferry road is a bad location is because no one except for the people who live there, travel that road. Restaurants, especially new restaurants need to be put in places where everyone in the metro travels....like West Augusta or if you want to go to Evans, Washington Rd.

The question is.. when will the Augusta area be getting a WholeFoods, Wegmans, and Trader Joes????

Probably wont do too much damage to Bilo or Publix since it is a totally different type of grocery store. I wonder when Augusta will start getting Super Bilo like they have up here in the Upstate SC, (we also have several Earthfare stores.)

Archived