Are you AICP?

AICP is the American Institute of Certified Planners and in some places is looked at as an absolute essential for credibility as a planner, while some others think of it as nothing more than a silly membership test that has no real credibility. As part of my existing position, we are

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't have the professional experience necessary to pursue the AICP certification. I could take it as early as November, but may wait until May 2008.

I'm confused by your last statement. You mean you aren't AICP but you might pursue it, or you are AICP and are considering whether or not to pursue your continuing ed credits?

My employer allows me to go to 2 conferences a year, and APA is NOT one that I choose. As far as conferences go it's pretty lowsy. I went in 2005, primarily as an excuse to visit San Francisco. I went to sessions one day and spent two more sightseeing and spending time with friends there.

I can understand conference sessions being an option for continuing ed/development, but to make it mandatory seems a bit ridiculous.

P.S. Anyone going to Philadelphia this year?

My employer allows me to go to 2 conferences a year, and APA is NOT one that I choose. As far as conferences go it's pretty lowsy. I went in 2005, primarily as an excuse to visit San Francisco. I went to sessions one day and spent two more sightseeing and spending time with friends there.

I can understand conference sessions being an option for continuing ed/development, but to make it mandatory seems a bit ridiculous.

P.S. Anyone going to Philadelphia this year?

Yeah, I may go if it's ever in New York, but I won't make an effort to travel.

The two conferences I tend to go to are TRB (Transportation Research Board) every January in DC and TransAction, which is New Jersey's state transportation conference held in Atlantic City every April. Both are excellent, and I'll meet more prospective clients and consultant teammates at those conferences than I would at an APA conference.

I definitely plan on taking the AICP once I get my 2 years in. I hope my employer will pay for it, but I'll take it whether they do or not. It seems crazy not to, as it establishes a lot of credibility in the planning field.

As for continuing education, I think that is important. I am all for that... but I'm not sure the APA has the best system set up for it. But then, I have no suggestions for alternatvies.

• 3 months later...

As a professional planner, I believe it is important to show credibility. I think AICP is a way to show that you wanted to take that extra step in your career. I am taking the exam on the 19th of May and hope that I pass so that I may join this important organization of planners.

AICP is the American Institute of Certified Planners and in some places is looked at as an absolute essential for credibility as a planner, while some others think of it as nothing more than a silly membership test that has no real credibility. As part of my existing position, we are 'strongly encouraged' to take the exam, and pass, therefore this May, I will sit for the exam.

Do you have your AICP? If so, what are your thoughts on the possible continuing education to maintain it? Do you feel that it is meaningful or just a waste of time, effort, and money.

Personally, I have limited choice in the matter, but even if I did have the option, I think that I would peruse it.

• 2 years later...

now that the system has been in place, I think it's been a good thing for the profession as there are many more opportunities for continuing education than in the past. Tracking CMs is fairly easy as well though I think it's too easy to fudge your attendance.

I've been an AICP since 2000, it's definitely been a smart career move. I'm currently the only certified planner where I work.

Archived