Significant historic architecure in Greenville

Hundefreund

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Greenville. I'm curious about a couple of properties I've noticed riding my bike around town, both of which seem particularly vulnerable to being razed for development but particularly worth preserving. The first is a one-story wood Victorian on Augusta Road near the Children's Theater. Although surrounded by an unkempt hedge and hard to see, the place looks inhabited, albeit in need of cosmetic repairs. This is one of the best examples of a Victorian I've seen in Greenville and it looks in more or less original condition.

Even more important is a property on Grove Road. I believe it is known as Earle Farm -- an absolutely stunning and rarely preserved example of a stately up-country summer house -- probably pre-Civil War. This has got to be one of the more significant historic houses in Greenville. It sits on about 15 acres in the heart of the Augusta Road residential district, and perilously close to a rather bland development (Swansgate) and a large hospital.

I would imagine that these properties are in the sights of developers. Are these buildings in danger and is there any local interest in preserving these structures.

Also of interest are the Mcdaniel Heights Apartments near Cleveland Forest -- one of the most pleasant ensembles of art-deco buildings I've seen anywhere. Beautiful landscaping, but the building appear poorly maintained. Also, someone is ill-advisedly replacing the original flush mounted steel casement windows with ugly white aluminum replacement units.

I'm curious on any background or other info on these buildings. Are there any local laws encouraging their protection. Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to Greenville. I'm curious about a couple of properties I've noticed riding my bike around town, both of which seem particularly vulnerable to being razed for development but particularly worth preserving. The first is a one-story wood Victorian on Augusta Road near the Children's Theater. Although surrounded by an unkempt hedge and hard to see, the place looks inhabited, albeit in need of cosmetic repairs. This is one of the best examples of a Victorian I've seen in Greenville and it looks in more or less original condition.

Welcome to Urbanplanet, Hundefreund. I agree with vicupstate that something like a B&B would be perfect for this location. I don't know about any local laws protecting any of these buildings, but the Design and Preservation Committee/Commission is pretty strict here and that might be why nothing has been done to these buildings in sometime.

Also of interest are the Mcdaniel Heights Apartments near Cleveland Forest -- one of the most pleasant ensembles of art-deco buildings I've seen anywhere. Beautiful landscaping, but the building appear poorly maintained. Also, someone is ill-advisedly replacing the original flush mounted steel casement windows with ugly white aluminum replacement units.

Hi all,

You can find out who owns anything in Greenville County by using the free GIS system that they sponsor. It's the best - http://www.gcgis.org/webmappub/

They are rentals.

And also, Hundefreund, have you been over to the Earle Street Historic District? It is truly the most beautiful, historic neighborhood in town (I'm terribly biased though - I live there).

Do you know the tax map number for the "Earle Farm"? I'm not familiar with the property, though it sounds fascinating. It's really too bad when situations occur where there is no one else in the family to keep the old family homeplace going.

You deserve a pat on the back for just going up to the door - some nerve! :D

Hi Hundefreund,

Welcome to UP! :thumbsup:

Someone on the forum has taken photos of this house before. I looked through the threads but can't pinpoint it at the moment. Seems that the city, with the revitalization of West End, would take a more active interest in seeing this house be revitalized. It would make a perfect B&B.

Anyone know who owns this property?

I've seen ads for these for sale. Are they condos or rental apartments?

Do you know the tax map number for the "Earle Farm"? I'm not familiar with the property, though it sounds fascinating. It's really too bad when situations occur where there is no one else in the family to keep the old family homeplace going.

You deserve a pat on the back for just going up to the door - some nerve! :D

I am pleased to see that so many newcomers have not only noticed, but care about preserving historical homes such as the Earle property. Be assured that there are, and have been, many long time local folks who share the same interests. You may want to check out the Greenville County Historical Society. This group presents some very interesting programs and you can meet Greenvillians who have long been involved in presevation. Their office on E. Washington Street is an excellent place to find out about the properties you are discussing.

http://www.greenvillehistory.org/

I live on Earle as well. Sounds like my street is well represented in this forum.

BTW, McDaniel Heights is a condo complex. However, some of the owners do rent out the units that they own.

Thanks for the info on the Augusta Road house, Btoy. That is what I suspected. As long as it is not deteriorating and the owner doesn't want to sell, there isn't much that can be done change/improve it. Maybe the owner could be persauded to lease it to someone who would make it a B&B.

• 1 year later...
The house is not visable from Grove Road -- it sits too far back; however if you go into the Swansgate development you can see the rear of the house. Also I think Keowee or one of those streets deadends at the property, so you may be able to catch a glimpse of the place in the winter from there

I don't know about that, but I was reading through Greenville Remembers, a book telling the story of Greenville's Early days through photos, and I came upon The Ritz Theater, that was a grocery before its theater days. Come to find out (as I kept reading) The Ritz theater is UNDERNEATH City Tavern! The book says that the theater survived into the 21st Century, but was sadly covered over by turquoise blue panels! HELLO HISTORICAL SOCIETY! TAKE IT OFF!

I don't know about that, but I was reading through Greenville Remembers, a book telling the story of Greenville's Early days through photos, and I came upon The Ritz Theater, that was a grocery before its theater days. Come to find out (as I kept reading) The Ritz theater is UNDERNEATH City Tavern! The book says that the theater survived into the 21st Century, but was sadly covered over by turquoise blue panels! HELLO HISTORICAL SOCIETY! TAKE IT OFF!

• 2 months later...
I went by Holly Hill/Earle Farm today. The property is full of surveying tape. Below are a couple of images of the house. This is one of the oldest houses in Greenville and vitually untouched since the 1850s. This is a treasure for Greenville and all upstate SC. I don't know hat is happening to the property -- I'm trying to find out. But I do know that to loose this priceless piece of history and architecture would be a tragedy.

tn_gallery_15828_5_46630.jpg

tn_gallery_15828_5_64743.jpg

Don't worry about losing any of those properties to redevelopment. The inner ring of neighborhoods around downtown is nearly totally the same as it was in the 1970s even; I am amazed that the Front Porch on Augusta Road, where my grandfather took me when I was a kid in the '70s, is still there and looks about the same as it always has, for example. Only the West End has changed by having relatively large investments made in it.

Archived