Significant historic architecure in Greenville

Hundefreund

I went by Holly Hill/Earle Farm today. The property is full of surveying tape. Below are a couple of images of the house. This is one of the oldest houses in Greenville and vitually untouched since the 1850s. This is a treasure for Greenville and all upstate SC. I don't know hat is happening to the property -- I'm trying to find out. But I do know that to loose this priceless piece of history and architecture would be a tragedy.

tn_gallery_15828_5_46630.jpg

tn_gallery_15828_5_64743.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Williams/Earle farm today.

I agree that it would be a shame to destroy it.

It is on the National Historic Register. Is there any protection for houses that are on the register?

There were several barns on the property and even a small animal grave site with granite tombstones for a beloved horse and dog.

It was truly like going back in time.

I would love to think they will restore the home and at least make it the clubhouse for the new development like the Lowndes Hill Plantation home at the Plantation On Pelham

development.

I went to the Williams/Earle farm today.

I agree that it would be a shame to destroy it.

It is on the National Historic Register. Is there any protection for houses that are on the register?

There were several barns on the property and even a small animal grave site with granite tombstones for a beloved horse and dog.

It was truly like going back in time.

I would love to think they will restore the home and at least make it the clubhouse for the new development like the Lowndes Hill Plantation home at the Plantation On Pelham

development.

Looking at the house, it does not appear to be site specific architecture. It's going for aesthetic appeal, and it's beautiful. Because of this, I don't think people are really going to lose anything in the future by experiencing the house on another site. Hopefully it is structurally sound to survive a move. If this were a Frank Lloyd Wright design, such as Falling Water, I'd be totally opposed, but the experience and beauty of this house appears to be capable of working anywhere. Just my opinion.

Archived