Goat Island

Gusterfell

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:wub: The Abbey's windmill :wub:

Yeah, I've always thought of Goat Island as a potential goldmine. But the landowner politics down there is a minefield. Until some true bigshot goes in there and buys up the island, personality politics will keep it the way it is...which is to say, it will stay the way it is indefinitely.

I've always dreamed of making Goat Island into a big marine village, kind of like Nelson's Dockyard in Antigua. It would have dockage for superyachts, full shipyard facilities, marine-oriented retail, a few restaurants, yacht brokerage offices, a condo/hotel, better water shuttle service...you know, kind of like it is now, but way better.

goat island has a TON of potential. we were looking at the hyatt as a possible wedding location and the island is very uninviting. it should be very inviting with better parking (like a big garage for the whole island) or more limited parking. the island feels like it's meant for the people in the hotel and members of the private clubs. it should be lined with restaurants and bars, sort of like disney world's pleasure island.

I haven't heard many positive comments on that hotel. Did you go inside for an interior inspection? It's a great location, with incredible views of the city, bay and Newport bridge. Perhaps they've recently remodeled. A family member of mine had her wedding at the Newport Harbour Hotel on America's Cup Ave., on the 4th of July no less. :angry: No word of a lie. I had to park at least a 1/4 mile away. :angry: The wedding was on a patio in the back of the hotel, facing a marina. Some of the boat owners who were watching the event blasted their air horns when the couple kissed, after their vows. Wasen't that special? :lol: plus my cousin had handed out little boxes to all in attendance with strict orders not to open them up untill the service was over. When we did, butterflies flew out of the boxes. :shades: The whole event cost big bucks. It took forever for the guests to receive their food, but I have to say they had the best New England clam chowder I've ever eaten.

Tell me about it. Can you possibly imagine being in Newport for a wedding, on America's Cup Avenue, on the 4th of July? If I were to post my true felling here on UP, I'd be banned for sure. :thumbsup: What the hell was she thinking of? Why would anyone want to do that to their family and friends? :wacko:

Speaking of weddings in Newport and on Goat Island, does anyone know anything about Belle Mer as a wedding venue? Know anyone who has been married there? I'm currently planning a wedding in Newport - but obviously I wouldn't have it on the 4th of July! (we're thinking more like Sept or Oct)

Speaking of weddings in Newport and on Goat Island, does anyone know anything about Belle Mer as a wedding venue? Know anyone who has been married there? I'm currently planning a wedding in Newport - but obviously I wouldn't have it on the 4th of July! (we're thinking more like Sept or Oct)

speaking of other wedding locations... we looked at 3 places in newport... the hyatt (which my comments are on the hyatt thread), the ocean cliff, and the viking.

the ocean cliff was really nice, but super expensive and the person we talked to tried to convince us to have a winter wedding because it's cheaper, making us feel like she thought we couldn't afford a summer wedding there.

the viking was great. the woman was very nice, and although it wasn't cheap, the ballroom is beautiful. they also have a non-denominational chapel you could use. the hotel itself is very nice, but it's not near the water, which seems to be the main reason for having a wedding in newport.

Archived