The LB or new football stadium.

crossroad

Mayor Herenton and his financial team will request to the City Council for the construction of a $30 mil, 50,000 seat football stadium. This has generated > 15 new replied on Jan 9th one day!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If ONLY ONE is to happen, which do you ***prefer*** to see, by 2010?

• A NEW $60M stadium completed using public/private funding.
    • Crime rate drop by a third compared with 2007 level.
    • Neither.
  2. 2. Although there may not be connection between crime and the stadium, how urgent is it to more effectively tackle the crime/public safety problem in our city?

• Somewhat urgent.
    • Urgent.
    • VERY urgent.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a serious issue with this poll because crime and a new stadium are NOT related, and it's not an either/or proposition. We do NOT have to choose between lowering crime and a new stadium.

Again, I will point out that 2004, which was the opening of the FedEx Forum, had a 27% decrease in the number of homicides from 2002. There is no correlation between a new stadium and crime.

I have a serious issue with this poll because crime and a new stadium are NOT related, and it's not an either/or proposition. We do NOT have to choose between lowering crime and a new stadium.

Again, I will point out that 2004, which was the opening of the FedEx Forum, had a 27% decrease in the number of homicides from 2002. There is no correlation between a new stadium and crime.

I'd love to see Memphis build a new stadium, however, it's going to cost A LOT more than $30 or $60 million. LP Field in Nashville, home of the Titans, cost $300 million and that was nearly ten years ago. It seats just over 69.000. If Memphis ever hopes to land an NFL team (either through expansion or relocation) it will need to build a stadium that will seat at least 70,000. And it will need to be high-quality. For a first class stadium the city of Memphis will need to pony up about half a BILLION dollars.

I'd love to see Memphis build a new stadium, however, it's going to cost A LOT more than $30 or $60 million. LP Field in Nashville, home of the Titans, cost $300 million and that was nearly ten years ago. It seats just over 69.000. If Memphis ever hopes to land an NFL team (either through expansion or relocation) it will need to build a stadium that will seat at least 70,000. And it will need to be high-quality. For a first class stadium the city of Memphis will need to pony up about half a BILLION dollars.

• 4 weeks later...
I completely agree. I believe we should be looking toward the future in building this stadium, possible relocation or expansion is a real possibility and the stadium should reflect that. I would it least like to see 200 million dollars spent on a 60,000 seat stadium with an adjacent parking garage and room to expand another 10,000 seats. I don't know where this 30 million $ figure comes from but it certainly is not realistic. Raymond James Stadium cost 183 million $ and is a good model for Memphis to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think we need a new stadium and I don't see how it will cost mega-$$$ and 14,000 seats just for ADA compliance. BUT, if this thing is going to get built, it needs to be built with the option of one day possibly luring the NFL to town. It probably needs to start out at 45-50,000 seats with 50-60 luxury boxes with the ability to be expanded to 70-75,000 seats, 120-150 luxury boxes, and a relatively easy transition from bleacher seats to individual seatbacks to keep our NFL options open. We flunked the stadium test in the past with the NFL, we need to be ready if and when there is a next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived