Central Arkansas Pride

tim2462

I want to apologize if anyone interpreted my actions as hate. It was not intended in that way. I do, however, hope that UP can be a place where ideas can be discussed openly without being called names for expressing an idea that may be in the minority. As to the quotes I posted having the references still attached, etc. I did read them all, but did not take the time to edit each one once pasted... sorry.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, we can make a thread about the black population of NWA, but a thread about gay culture in central arkansas is just way out of hand. If you don't like a thread, don't post in it. But, don't think because you want to be judgemental and argue against something, that the thread should just be killed. I will post information for the people that care to read it. It was just started yesterday, have you noticed the number of views? There are a lot of threads and discussion that I wouldn't consider to be pertinent information...but I'm certainly not going around suggesting you shouldn't talk about it or that the thread should be "killed."

If someone gets out of hand, they should be banned, like any other forum. Don't shut down a thread that obviously people care about because a few people don't agree with it.

That wikipedia article about gay villages is copied from encyclopedias and gay travel guides. So, it's not like someone just put it there. You can find that same list in many many places.

Wikipedia, now there's an authoritative source. I'm really sick of this stupid topic. Nobody truly knows what the gay/straight percentages in Hillcrest are in fact there's not complete agreement about the boundries of the neighborhood. The terms "gayborhood", "gay village" etc characterize Hillcrest, at least to a straight person, as an area that is predominately gay. Is it "gay friendly" yes in the same sense that it's black friendly, student friendly, even republican friendly. Why is this so? Because, it seems to me, the majority of Hillcrest residents are liberal, tolerent of others views on morals, religion, ethnicity and many of the things that normally divide us into warring camps.

So tim2462 perhaps we'll run into each other at Sufficient Grounds or Acadia or Canon Grill or maybe even at the crumby grocery you call a "Gay Kroger".

The Heights Kroger has so much more panache than the Hillcrest one, I guess because the one on Beechwood used to be a Harvest Foods and is so much smaller because of that fact. I think the Heights Kroger would make a much better "gay Kroger", but of course it's not.

Nowhere to expand the one on Beechwood, though, the parking situation there isn't good as it is now.

Skirby, that's a great question, and the government has no answer other than the truth, which is that marriage IS a religious institution. It was ordained long before anyone had ever heard the word "government". Other than religious implications, why should married people be treated any differently than any other person (i.e. taxes)? Simple... they shouldn't (in a secular society). So why does the United States recognize marriage? Because it was founded as a Christian nation. I know people try hard to deny it, but it's true.

I'll try to stay on topic here despite all the other discussions going on. :D I can't say I'm any expert on the subject but I had been getting the impression that there was a growing gay population in Little Rock, or maybe I should say central Arkansas. I used to hear more about it up here in NWA but not quite so anymore. I'm not sure if the more recent growth in population has made it not quite as noticeable or if some of the gay community in NWA has relocated to central Arkansas.

I'll try to stay on topic here despite all the other discussions going on. :D I can't say I'm any expert on the subject but I had been getting the impression that there was a growing gay population in Little Rock, or maybe I should say central Arkansas. I used to hear more about it up here in NWA but not quite so anymore. I'm not sure if the more recent growth in population has made it not quite as noticeable or if some of the gay community in NWA has relocated to central Arkansas.

Yeah, I'm just ignoring any other debates and staying on topic. There's a decent gay population at the UA, I know. I mean, every college kind of has that and college towns tend to retain some. I'd wager almost all of the gay community in NWA lives in Fayetteville or Eureka Springs. I had some friends tell me some stories about "gay pride day" and when they were in frats they weren't very nice about it.

I think you are right, though, about NWA not having a large gay population as a whole. Hot Springs seems to have a sizable one based on people I've met and what I've been told.

Part of the whole draw in Little Rock, I guess, is that there are a handful of bars that cater to a gay lifestyle and that there are several neighborhoods - Hillcrest, Quapaw Quarter, Argenta, Park Hill, etc that at least have a visible gay minority. Most homosexuals want to be near other people like themselves, and I can't blame them for that. Trying not to stereotype but looking at national trends homosexuals aggregate in areas with history and panache and NWA is kind of sadly lacking in those, save old Fayetteville and Eureka.

I was just looking but since this has turned into a religious matter ( it always does) I believe my opinion should be noted as well. Yes, The U.S.A was founded on the bible as our coins state " In God We Trust" no not in "god we trust" or " gods we trust" , but with a capitalized "G" stating a more specific interpretation , and yes to answer some others, America's views on certain things weren't great (ex. slavery, racism). Its just like a lot of celebrities now who thank God for winning an award or success, but other than that there seems to be no trace of any christianity in them. I LOVE everyone, but I do BELIEVE that marriage is between a man and a woman. Its weird how some people can look at the Bible and interpret their own meaning in Christianity and they ignore what they dont want to hear. For all the christians who say they believe in the Bible...well, the Bible refers to homosexuality as an "...abomination". It sure doesn't say of any races being an "abomination", for those who want to put races in here. Yes, we know in America's early days ( and in this generation too) that people did not like different races marrying......, but a white guy and a black woman can have a baby and vice versa, but two gay people can not. " Giving birth is a part of life" many say ...then why would "life" discriminate between two people of the same race? Simple, because its not meant to be. You cannot compare Black American's CIVIL RIGHTS to a homosexual wanting to get married because we didn't have a say in what race we wanted to be....they have a choice. Unlike blacks who couldn't go into white stores or a lot of white facilites because of their race, there isn't anyone denying a homosexual from eating at a restaurant or shopping at a mall ( LIKE THEY DID BLACKS) so don't say that cause that really upsets me. Though we know homosexuality has been on this earth for thousands of years ( just like prostitution, slavery and forms of government). For those who want to label homosexuals as just another "race" of people...there are different races of people on every continent. Their sure wasn't a country or specific area thousands of years ago that was majority gay so it shouldn't be put in that category. America's arrogance and egotistical behavior has spoiled our traditions....God is trying to WARN AMERICA...please realize this my fellow Americans before it is to late.

P.S if anyone wants to argue with me then go right ahead...I'll respond.....any questions or concerns.

I would like to reinstate that I'm not bashing or trying to show up anyone, but I do wanna back up my statements so there will not be any confusion. Thankyou

I was just looking but since this has turned into a religious matter ( it always does) I believe my opinion should be noted as well. Yes, The U.S.A was founded on the bible as our coins state " In God We Trust" no not in "god we trust" or " gods we trust" , but with a capitalized "G" stating a more specific interpretation , and yes to answer some others, America's views on certain things weren't great (ex. slavery, racism).

I probably shouldn't even reply to such non-sense, but I will provide this short rebuttle and will be done debating who I am. First & foremost, I see the bible as nothing more than a book of myths & stories. So, please don't throw it at me and expect me to be awed. That being said.. The bible is full of discrepencies

and it's all interpretation. The bible says many things are abominations, but you don't see them being thrown around at people. Just a few examples: It's an abomination to plant more than 2 crops in the same field. It's an abomination to touch the skin of a pig. Wow, there will be a lot of farmers and football palyers going to hell, eh? Also, what does the bible say about divorce? Strangely though, over half of the population divorces. Trying to live your life by what that book says is impossible. People cherry pick what they don't like and use the bible to aruge their story. However, everything they do that goes against the bible, you never hear anything about. That said, being gay is not a religious issue. I am who I am. I did not choose it, just as you never made a consious decision that you were going to be str8. Could you now choose just to be gay? Didn't think so. So, please, let's keep religion and especially the bible out of this conversation.

Archived