Help with distances in Europe.

Inkdaub

So, I know that cities are closer together in Europe than they are in the US for the most part. The old addage "Europeans think a hundred miles is a long way while Americans think a hundred years is a long time" comes to mind.

I have been looking at my Europe map. If you were going to drive from Edinburgh or Glasgow to London...how long would you be on the road? Extra credit - how far apart are Edinburgh and Glasgow?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You choose an extreme example, UK is very dense, there are a lot of large and beautiful cities very close each other. There are just 40 mi between Sheffield and Leeds two cities members of the top 8 (English Core Cities Group), and 30 mi between Leicester and Nottingham. :)

Glasgow-Edinburgh : about 50 Miles, so less than 1 hour on the road.

Glasgow-London : 415 mi

Edinburgh London : 400 mi

Airlines : Edinburgh-London in 3 3/4 hours

• 4 months later...

I was slightly disappointed on recent trip to Scotland, we were in the far north west of Scotland, and had to go home, which is the south west of England, I thought we would need to stop for the night, my French friend laughed... It only took us 9 hours to basically go from one end of Britain to the other, before I'd driven that I thought Britain was huge...

The saying is very very true, when I lived in Sheffield i thought Nottingham or Leeds were miles and miles away. I still think Cardiff is miles away :-S

That said of course, congestion and other factors can make the 410 miles from London to Edinburgh take 8-9 hours.

Archived