Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recchia

Big Box Chain Stores in Urban Areas

19 posts in this topic

I want to see examples of big box chain stores that are built in urban areas. There are quite a few good examples out there of chain stores, especially places like Target and some supermarkets that actually fit well into the urban fabric with storefronts built to the street with minimal surface parking.

Here's an example of a Super Stop and Shop Supermarket with roof parking in Queens:

urbansands.jpg

Here's another Stop and Shop in Boston, adjacent to a light rail line (Green Line E Branch).

urbansandsboston.jpg

what else is in that stop & shop building in boston?

what else is in that stop & shop building in boston?

Cotuit will know for sure, but I think theres a Walgreens and maybe offices or apartments on the upper levels.

Im sure they have them. They have multi level targets. (pronounced tar-zhay, BTW :D )

We have a new Target that has a parking garage underneath. I'll try and snap a picture of it soon. It has the cart escalator that you find in Ikea. It's not the most urban thing but they did cut back on the surface parking with the underground garage. And it IS within city limits.

Cotuit will know for sure, but I think theres a Walgreens and maybe offices or apartments on the upper levels.

Publix Supermarket, Surfside, FL

publixsurfside013ox.jpg

Publix at downtown Fort Lauderdale

p31104060ul.jpg

p31104012rc.jpg

Some more examples I found:

A shopping plaza in Queens with Stop & Shop, Party City and other stores:

urbanshoppingplaza.jpg

A suburban shopping plaza with Burlington Coat Factory and Waldbaums, with both parking lot store frontage and STREET store frontage on the Union Turnpike on the edge of Queens:

urbanshoppingqueens.jpg

Some urban malls, starting with the Queens Center Mall. Looks like an expansion is underway in this picture. I like the spiraling ramp into the garages and onto the roof parking area.

queenscentermall.jpg

Providence Place Mall:

ppmall.jpg

The reason I started this thread is because I want to be able to show local communities that they can have their big box stores and even have them pretty auto-centric without having to build the massive parking lots that are usually in front of them. Big boxes can cater to both pedestrians and automobiles at the same time, and more than adequate parking can be made in much less space than is the norm in suburbia!

Here are a few more images:

Publix in Atlantic Station

atlantic_station1.jpg

Home Depot in Lincoln Park

Lincoln_Park2.jpg

Here is another photo of the Target at Nicollet Mall

target_nicollet_mall.jpg

The Publix @ Atlantic Station is in Midtown Atlatna.

The previous post are correct. The Home Depot is in Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois.