Muskegon is Growing

GRDadof3

Although the media likes to concentrate so much on unemployment rates, looking at job and population growth, Muskegon-Norton Shores MSA is not doing too badly, and much better than a lot of other cities in Michigan.

Non-farm payroll from 1996 - 2006. That's a nice looking chart, growing about 13% in the past 10 years.

SMU2634740000000001_51650_1168437246675.gif

Bureau of Labor Statistics

Population in the metro area looks pretty good too, averaging about .6%/year over the last decade, with a net domestic migration over the last 3 years (I think the only city in Michigan):

Census Bureau estimates

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are there any historical population statistics for the the city or area, also I wonder why Muskegon has incorporated subburbs like rosevelt park, and m hights, that could be consolidated. Its interesting to compare with Holland, which is almost as big population wise and has more of the unincrporated sprall burb townships that cover a larger area and where Muskegon has a more urban feeling and controled growth and gives the impression of a bigger city in a smaller area.

are there any historical population statistics for the the city or area, also I wonder why Muskegon has incorporated subburbs like rosevelt park, and m hights, that could be consolidated. Its interesting to compare with Holland, which is almost as big population wise and has more of the unincrporated sprall burb townships that cover a larger area and where Muskegon has a more urban feeling and controled growth and gives the impression of a bigger city in a smaller area.

Over the past couple of Decades, the cities of Holland and Muskegon really do have just one continuous line of Developement Going up US-31. Personally I think they should lump Muskegon and Holland together as one metro area, (population a little over 400k )calling it the "Lakeshore". Much like the Hampton Rds. area of VA which is of course much much larger in scale. But similar in the sense that it is a collection of like sized cities that make up a larger metro area.

I think you'll continue to see Muskegon, and for that matter Holland grow, they have started capitalizing their position on the lakeshore to $ in on tourism growth and the small prestige that may come with that in time. They both have started getting away from that heavy industrialized core that used to exist. I don't know other than tourism what industry could really be strong there at this point.

Over the past couple of Decades, the cities of Holland and Muskegon really do have just one continuous line of Developement Going up US-31. Personally I think they should lump Muskegon and Holland together as one metro area, (population a little over 400k )calling it the "Lakeshore". Much like the Hampton Rds. area of VA which is of course much much larger in scale. But similar in the sense that it is a collection of like sized cities that make up a larger metro area.

I think you'll continue to see Muskegon, and for that matter Holland grow, they have started capitalizing their position on the lakeshore to $ in on tourism growth and the small prestige that may come with that in time. They both have started getting away from that heavy industrialized core that used to exist. I don't know other than tourism what industry could really be strong there at this point.

Archived