Waxhaw rejects Wal-mart

cinco

WAXHAW has made me proud! the town council unanimously gave wal-mart a "hell NO". waxhaw has been moderately marred by development over the last 10 years.... but, it seems there are efforts now being made to change the course of the town. in september the people of waxhaw who are against a wal-mart there, staged an impressive protest. everyone got in their cars, waving anti-walmart banners, and drove a 3 mile route down hwy 16 around 5:00. the idea was to show people how a wal-mart would snarl traffic and impact infrastructure. it worked, as traffic was horrendous.

no one is naive enough to think that the "huns" @ wal-mart will simply give up. i'm sure they will go to any measure to enter a market that they desire... but, waxhaw has sent a message and has made it more difficult for wal-mart.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/16423749.htm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am glad they rejected the proposal. however, a lowes, harris teeter, etc were approved just a mile or so up the road. they are still paving the way for big boxes out there. its just this particular one that was given the cold shoulder. the other big boxes, at cureton i believe, enjoy slightly better access.

the funny thing about all those fighting it...everyone interviewed had a northern accent.

i am glad they rejected the proposal. however, a lowes, harris teeter, etc were approved just a mile or so up the road. they are still paving the way for big boxes out there. its just this particular one that was given the cold shoulder. the other big boxes, at cureton i believe, enjoy slightly better access.

the funny thing about all those fighting it...everyone interviewed had a northern accent.

well, i am an O.W. (original waxhawsian)... and i'm against the wal-mart plague infecting my hometown. while there are plenty o' northeners living in waxhaw - i will point out that from the images of the city meeting that i saw on the tele... i recognized a number of indiginous citizens. the town commisioners themselves are mainly made up of old waxhaw.

i think this was shot down only b/c waxhaw has had the experience of witnessing other small areas around her fall victim to the wal-mart effect. also, b/c waxhaw has grown @ breakneck speed the last 10 - 15 years... it's charm in peril was evident. 5 years ago, i don't think wal-mart would have been stopped here.

I remember when I was younger and Hardee's opened in Waxhaw and no one could believe any chain would be interested in lil ole Waxhaw. Boy have times changed. I'm glad Waxhaw said no to Wal-mart. I do wish they'd use the word more often. I also wish they had used the word more often. If the anti-Wal-Mart contingent is mostly northern it's not because the locals want it but more in that perhaps they've seen so much happen that they figure it's useless to fight to keep what in reality may no longer exist. The transplants see things like CVS, Autozone and, Movie Gallery and assume these things have always been there. They don't see themselves as the ones who brought it and changed the town for the worse. They all think things will stop just because they've arrived. We're an anomaly here on UP in that we see places in constant motion and change when most people tend to think of places as way more stagnant than they really are. They don't see that the Waxhaw of the 80's and 90's is already gone because they never saw the Waxhaw of the 80's and 90's to begin with. Waxhaw was incredible then and in reality it's what they're all seeking out. So they move there, attracted to the last dying holdouts of Waxhaw's small town past. Not realizing how many of their predecessors killed so much of what was there before and not realizing they're about to lose the last bits.

BTW, I'm really sad the old bridge on 16 is gone. That to me signaled "you are entering Waxhaw

". I was almost killed on that bridge as a teenager but I loved it anyway.

Good for Waxhaw. I'll admit it, regualr Wal-Mart shopper here. I remember when they built the 3rd ever SuperCenter when I was back in a midwest college. It had everything we needed and was the greatest thing since the accidental invention of slice bread. However, there's simply something said about small town charm. Sometimes, I like driving out to a smaller town and get away form city life. A Super will definitely kill the character of Waxhaw. It would have definitely sucked for the residents.

Archived