Is the NBA in Hartford's future?

MadVlad

So, Larry G is now saying he's talking to an NBA team to see if he can acquire them and move them to the city. To be specific, he said he's talking with 2 NHL teams and an NBA team, but we really haven't covered the possibility of an NBA team coming here. So, what team do we think he's talking to and do you think this might be an actual option. I'm thinking perhaps Sacramento since they have Arena issues, other than that I would have no clue....

NBA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Larry G is now saying he's talking to an NBA team to see if he can acquire them and move them to the city. To be specific, he said he's talking with 2 NHL teams and an NBA team, but we really haven't covered the possibility of an NBA team coming here. So, what team do we think he's talking to and do you think this might be an actual option. I'm thinking perhaps Sacramento since they have Arena issues, other than that I would have no clue....

NBA

10 years ago I would have said 'impossible', but since the Knicks AND the Celtics have SUCKED for so long now, I think it's possible.......

NBA

Hmmm..

The NBA Hartford Celtics? Really, I'd love to see the HellCats name back on a Basketball Team and for the NLL nickname -- The Hellions (from the old indoor Soccer team.)

If LG could get a NBA team, I'd love to see him get Ray Allen! Just think of what he could do for the area! His 'RAY OF HOPE Foundation' is known in Hartford.

LG, just wondering -- you looking for MLB or NFL teams? :)

JimS

I would guess Sacramento as well, but Oracle where Golden State plays is pretty old as well it would seem. I just looked it up it as built in 1966 and there are complaints about it's lack of amenities.

Whatever happens, you gotta love Larry for his vision......

Tycoon:

I'd say that -- LG has a vision for Hartford. Just think of Downtown Hartford would be like if -- you had a 'HellCat' or 'Whalers' game at the 'PhoenixFinincial Center' with the CMTA boat show a the Convention Center and two hit shows at the Bushnell and Hartford Stage. I think I could live with that!! :)

JimS

Tycoon:

I'd say that -- LG has a vision for Hartford. Just think of Downtown Hartford would be like if -- you had a 'HellCat' at the 'PhoenixFinincial Center' with the CMTA boat show a the Convention Center and two hit shows at the Bushnell and Hartford Stage. I think I could live with that!! :)

JimS

I know I could live with it.

It's really not basketball crazy... it's winning basketball crazy. Whe UConn plays a subpar oppnent the HCC is not sold out. Ticket prices for the pros I would think is comparable to the Huskies after you consider ticket price and the donation.

I don't see a market for pro basketball, the only reason I see a market for hockey is the fan base is here. And if you think about it the fan base who grew up with the Whalers are now in the job market, graduated or graduating from college with disposable income. They would have a larger fan base now than when they left which leads me to believe hockey is a much smarter choice.

It's really not basketball crazy... it's winning basketball crazy. Whe UConn plays a subpar oppnent the HCC is not sold out. Ticket prices for the pros I would think is comparable to the Huskies after you consider ticket price and the donation.

I don't see a market for pro basketball, the only reason I see a market for hockey is the fan base is here. And if you think about it the fan base who grew up with the Whalers are now in the job market, graduated or graduating from college with disposable income. They would have a larger fan base now than when they left which leads me to believe hockey is a much smarter choice.

Yeah, but take into account just exactly how sub par those opponents are that Uconn plays. Those games are 50 point blow outs. The NBA at least gaurantees name brand pros at every game. Something that College basketball does not offer. I think the market would do great with the NBA. Look at the sucess of the Hartford Blizzard pro women's team when they were here. The market is just plain basketball crazy if you ask me.

Who wants to see UConn beat Coppin State by 45 or Fairfield by 60? That is the reason the HCC doesn't fill up. This year has a very young team who may not make the tournament. I think this year is more exciting than the years they won the national championship just because most Big East games will be close and the fans may actually have to cheer on the team and give support @ home games considering they won't be winning by 20+ points..

I remember the days when UConn was just begining to become a national power in the early 90's and you had the good Georgetown, Syracuse, Seton Hall and St. Johns teams come into the Civic center and the place would be jamed packed and going nuts. The HCC was once one of the loudest big arena's in the country labled by ESPN.

Anyone remember Kansas coming into the HCC around 97 or so? Kansas was ranked #1, Kirk King and Ricky Moore were just suspended, the game was on CBS and the team was 20+ point under dogs. UConn almost pulled off the upset losing by 2 or 3 I believe. I have never heard the Civic center so loud in all the games I went to growing up, the atmosphere was incredible.

My dad had season tickets from 1970 until 2001. Main reason he stopped going to the games was because they were just not as exciting. You have 16-18 homes games a year and 14-16 of them are not all that interesting. Combine that with the fact that ticket prices and donations required have gone through the roof, it is better off just watching UConn play Central Arkansas on TV.

If the NBA was in town who wouldn't want to see the return of Richard Hamilton, Ray Allen, Emeka, or Gordon? And considering UConn has the most alumni in the NBA, the chance to see a former UConn player would be quite good. This is without including the regular big names like Kolbe, Shaq, Garnett ect... If the team sucked the place would still be jamed packed.

I totally disagee!!! The NBA would be very succussful in Hartford considering UCONN's great imfluence and who's to say that Whaler's fans aren't pro-basketball fans either.

Why not? The NBA doesn't need particularly large metro sizes. They put a franchise in New Orleans, after all, a metro of 1.3m. Hartford's metro is essentially the same size, and that doesn't include nearby Springfield (the home of basketball, I might add).

The NBA also has a very successful franchise in Salt Lake City, a metro that barely tops 1m people. And of course, both NO and SLC are in regions of the country much less densely populated than our own.

I'd say it would worked. I totally overlooked the Sonics, they are having real arena problems and are considered a contender to bolt Seattle. Personally, I'm an NHL fan, anyday I'd rather have the Whalers or whoever than an NBA team. But you bet your ass I'd go to some games and have a new favorite team. Nobody is a bigger homer than me....

Why not? The NBA doesn't need particularly large metro sizes. They put a franchise in New Orleans, after all, a metro of 1.3m. Hartford's metro is essentially the same size, and that doesn't include nearby Springfield (the home of basketball, I might add).

The NBA also has a very successful franchise in Salt Lake City, a metro that barely tops 1m people. And of course, both NO and SLC are in regions of the country much less densely populated than our own.

How far do you need to travel from New Orleans or Salt Lake City to be in the sphere of influence of another NBA market?

How far do you need to travel from New Orleans or Salt Lake City to be in the sphere of influence of another NBA market?

But Bill, you have to admit, most of the people in this area aren't die-hard fans of any basketball team, maybe the Celtics. It's not like the Red Sox, Yankees, Giants, or Pats.

That also doesn't include nearby New Haven, New London, or even Fairfield Counties (Fairfield may be a stretch, but they are well represented at UCONN events so I think not!!!). Our market numbers are really closer to 3 to 3.5 Million taking all of that into account.

The crappy thing about this is the timing. Until recently, I would have been good for 2 season tickets for whatever team and organizing a group of people to share as many other tickets as I could, probably getting up to 10 additional tickets depending on the sport and interest. Now that I have an infant, that extra money has dried up. That being said, if it's the NHL, I'm still there every game, even if it's just me....

The crappy thing about this is the timing. Until recently, I would have been good for 2 season tickets for whatever team and organizing a group of people to share as many other tickets as I could, probably getting up to 10 additional tickets depending on the sport and interest. Now that I have an infant, that extra money has dried up. That being said, if it's the NHL, I'm still there every game, even if it's just me....

I think you need to write the CDA in support of Larry. He is probably the dark horse right now.

I don't think he would aquire the nets from jayz, but I know the nets want to move, also Seattle is looking to move... that would help make the atlantic a better division also.

Aren't the Nets already moving to Brooklyn or Queens? I think we should take the Bobcats, that'll even out things for the Whale (and get Okafor back)

Archived